mtbr member

All bike racks can hold 100 pounds?

I am living in China now where the quality of bikes is lacking

But after living here a few months I realize all students ride on the back
    of other students bikes. Sitting on the racks.

My bike which cost 50$ can easily hold me friend who weighs 160 pounds.

So I think buying expensive surly racks is a waste of money.

Anyone had a bike rack break on them?

mtbr member
    Ive seen them break from a 20 or 30lb backpack.

mtbr member
    The M5 bolt at the bottom of one rack has snapped, I think it was only stainless steel. Ive had mounting brackets bend annoyingly, and one rack had a weld failure but there was a manufacturing fault. Surly is always expensive but their front rack can do more than most. Top end titanium racks are crazy over the top bling.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    I think you are better of looking for a old fashioned Dutch rack.
    They used to be made really sturdy and could carry an adult. (EU adult, not a lightweight Chinese adult)
    Nowadays a lot of the tubing used is a bit thinner, but some are still okay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    When a bike and it's rack is made from plumbing pipe 100 lbs. shouldn't be a problem. What do those bikes weigh, 40-50lbs?

mtbr member

racks

Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    When a bike and it's rack is made from plumbing pipe 100 lbs. shouldn't be a problem. What do those bikes weigh, 40-50lbs?
    Agreed.

And, take into consideration the surface you'll encounter. Will those welds hold 160lbs on Porcupine? Or, even half that? Maybe.

For strength to weight, nothing beats the hollow steel Tubus racks. But, they're expensive.

The burliest rack I have is made by... Well, it's made by Burly, and it's made for their Piccolo tag along kids bike. Now, they don't sell the rack alone, but when i called to enquire about a "replacement" one a few years ago, they quoted me at $35ish.

Guess that still dosen't come close to the pricepoint of those asian racks though, but I'm sure it's still a bit lighter, and might fit your panniers better.

Having said that, I've never had a rack break on me. But, I know a few people who have. It's always been the el-cheepo aluminum ones.
    Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
    http://greenecasey.blogspot.com