mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Advice, CA coast bike pack

Afternoon Everyone,

New to the forums and this is my first post... Actually i joined to post this question. So hopefully you guys can help a brotha out.

Anyway, I recently moved to east bay NorCal and have been doing quite a bit of riding out here. A good friend of mine is going to be making his way out here from the east in a few weeks and we've decided we want to bikepack the coast during his visit. We figured we could take up to 2 weeks...

Now we've both been backpackers for quite a while, so gear and necessities are not really of concern because we both have plenty of ultralite gear and will be traveling minimalistic. I will most likely pick up a seatpost bag though.

So here is where i need some help. We would like to start north of San Fran, but other than that dont have any set starting points in mind nor ending. We would also like to ride as much dirt as possible (ofcourse) but its hard to just pick a trail off of google maps and say thats what we'll take, and i didnt come up with anything during an online search. I'd also like to make it down to big sur to show him south of Carmel. But am unsure as to whether we will want to travel the entire length down to the next town or double back to Carmel. Lastly, we were thinking we would like to try and stay in a single direction and catch public transport for the ride back.

If anyone has done a trip like this and has input on routes it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

-Zach

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You'll get better results reposting in the California-Norcal forum. And don't call it San Fran

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    thanks for the pointer

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I tried planning a half road/ half dirt trip in that area once. I got confused and wound up riding road. There is a lot a paved roads and farmland between SF and LA. Not to say that there aren't great routes, just the I couldn't figure them out.

If I remember correctly you might be well served by heading up the 1 a ways, and doing your trip in norcal. There are a lot of trails and dirt roads up there. Also stoner hippies with guns, but I'm sure you can deal with that.

mtbr member
    If it keeps raining like it is here in the North Bay.....you might need a packraft.
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by DG Going Uphill View Post
    You'll get better results reposting in the California-Norcal forum. And don't call it San Fran
    ... and absolutely don't call it 'Frisco'. Folks get their asses kicked out here for that.

Search for a guy named 'SelfPropelledDevo' on these forums. He's done it all. He rode from Monterey to Arcada (almost the Oregon border) although I think he did it entirely on paved roads. That route is sometimes referred to as 'The Lost Coast'... basically up Highway 1 the whole way. He did a write-up on it in the Surly forum, IIRC.

I was looking for some routes for a future plan for a route from Oakland to Samuel P. Taylor park, and I wanted to get there on the fireroads from the GGB over Tam to get there. I'm thinking Bolinas Ridge might be the ticket.

mtbr member
    Zach - I live in the East Bay and have many, many maps of the area. I live near Piedmont Ave in Oakland. Send me a PM if you want to swing by and take a look at some potential routes.

Jason

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks guys appreciate it. I stopped by REI and spent way too much picking up maps of the entire route... at least now i have them. Im gonna start at point reyes, take Olema to 1, then to coastal trail. camp. accross into the city and make my way to half moon via coastal and 1. camp. there to pigeon point hostel on some random fire roads i cant remember and 1. Up skyline to the sea trail to big basin. Down which ever trails into santa cruz (depends on my tired level) or 9. spend the day/night. down through monterey on 1 and side trails. bum camp. then going to decide on big sur.... probably will crash at julia pfieffer burns, maybe ride the highway to kirk creek and then all the way to SLO.

I'll make a post in the Norcal and bikepacking sections when i get back.

thanks again for the help.
    -Zach

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    In Big Basin, the Skyline to the Sea Trail does not allow bikes past Berry Creek Falls. Bikes are not allowed on any trails in Big Basin; they are only allowed on fire roads. Big Basin is a big enough park, and Skyline to the Sea a popular enough trail, that poaching would be a risky move. Instead, you can take either Gazos Creek Trail or the Butano Fire Road. Both of them start near Butano State Park, well north of the entrance to Big Basin at Waddell Creek.

I recommend taking Old San Pedro Mountain (Planet of the Apes) instead of taking the tunnel at Devils Slide (between Pacifica and Half Moon Bay).

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    thanks for the heads up, i'll take your advice on those two and switch the route.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Check out the Prolly Is Not Probably blog. John did a trip a few months ago with the Specialized boys from SF down towards Santa Cruz. They didn't complete the intended route but seemed to have a good time. The trip was about testing the new AWOL bike, which he loved. Not sure if he posted a route but maybe you can ping him and get more details.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    They took BART from San Francisco to Walnut Creek (East Bay). Rode to Mt Diablo and camped. Then they took off the next morning towards Morgan Territory Road when one of the guys got sick.

They aborted and rode to Dublin/Pleasanton BART and went back to SF.

Not the coast.