Master Shredder

70 miles/day for 4 days with no training, is it possible?

My dad's friend wants to take me and my older brother on a 4 day bike trip across Southeastern Wisconsin (on road bikes) in June. It would end up being about 70 miles per day.

It's just starting to get semi-warm out here so I haven't trained at all whatsoever. I am 6'2" 170 so I have no extra weight on me, but my bike is an old 10 speed Raleigh that weighs about 28 lbs. Do you think I can make it if I only ride like 10 miles once per week? Or will I need vastly more training than that?
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

mtbr member
    70 miles a day on road isn't bad unless you are totally out of shape. The real question is if you have a good enough saddle and riding position to do it without suffering. The aerobic endurance part is probably a smaller issue.
    My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Yeah, what Outside said.

But it also depends on how fast you ride, and how big the hills are. 70 miles at an easy pace will still hurt if you haven't ridden much, but you might be able to get it done. But if you try to push the pace, or need to climb some big hills, you'll end up wasted beside the road on the first day.

Get a stationary trainer ASAP (if you can't afford a new one, check eBay or Craiglist). If you put in an hour two per day over the next month, you'll have much better ride.

troll
    Your pacing is important. Stop ever hour or so, or every 20 miles and take a little break. I did a group ride across Kentucky a few years ago, on a fully loaded LHT, with little to no training beforehand. The ride was 3 days, averaging 65 - 80 miles each day. I took it easy, kept my pace at around 12-14 mph, and felt fine at the end of each day. All the other cyclists on the route were doing 16-18 mph, and were on svelte road bikes with merely a saddle bag. I was one of the only ones NOT hobbling around like I was in pain at the end of each day.

Two Headed Boy
    I would say you would be just fine, as long as you don't push super hard and take it easy, you'll have all day to do your mileage after-all I will say as others have, make sure your saddle is comfortable and your riding position is comfortable as well. What model is your Raleigh? Some of those old Raleigh's are really nice rides You have any pictures?

Best of luck preparing for your trip!
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

Stealth Lurker
    Nov 2011
    I've done a few big rides in South Eastern Wisconsin. There are rolling hills, but nothing too big. I'll echo everyone's comments about taking it slow. One of my knees still bugs me from an injury I received on tour there: I didn't listen to the pain and tried to tough it out and keep going and ended up off the bike for nearly a season. I went back the next year and it was great, though. A lot of those back roads in farm country are very pretty and there's essentially zero traffic. Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I echo the thoughts above. Keep a decent pace, get a comfortable saddle, I will add that the fastest pace the group should go is the pace of the slowest person's pace (unless its a competition! Which can be fun to do in sections of the route).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ditto the very good supportive comments here. I might even go so far as to suggest a professional bike fit (which may or may not involve a new saddle). I have never done one myself but have also had the luxury of time to dial my rides in just how I like them. But that takes time and on a trip like you are attempting, could really be a buzz kill. Being comfortable is really essential to having a good time.

As others have said, I suspect you will be just fine so long as you avoid over exertion and keep the nutrition intake up. For long excursions like this, I just remind myself that I have ALL DAY to do the mileage. Sounds like you are not carrying around a lot of extra weight (in fact, Iíd say youíre a serious beanpole) but just arenít in shape. Well this trip will be the best training you can do! But really, if you have the opportunity to log some good mileage, take advantage. If its too cold, try a trainer as suggested, or do some spin classes at the YMCA. Even another form of exercise like swimming will be helpful, even if it isnít working all the same muscle groups.

Personally, I think it will be great and youíll be so glad you did it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That will be no problem except your rear end. I went 1500 miles for my first bike tour and I had to do 100 miles a day to get back to a job. I went from Seattle east over the mountains so Wisconsin hills should be no problem. I hadn't been bicycling at all that summer. I was in my early 20's which is why I could do it. My butt was the only problem. I didn't take breaks or eat especially well and averaged 10 mph. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: 70 miles/day for 4 days with no training, is it possible?

I.would def ride some more. Doing 4 70 milers will kill u otherwise.

Also, u need to.put miles on your bike just to dial it in.your road bike

If your time is limitedd, do interval training 3x a week. Then start dping a 70miler on the weekends.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Cant see it being a nice trip myself. I think the second day you'll be too sore to want to get back into the saddle. Dont do it to yourself. Start getting some mileage in quick - NOW.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I would try to get some regular 30 mile rides in (maybe 1x/week), but you should be fine. East of Madison is pretty gentle. If you get very far west of Madison, the hills can stack up. Go slow, eat enough, and you should be fine.
    Oh, and listen to your butt if it says it needs a break (make sure it stays dry enough). Sitting will probably be the biggest issue (it always is for me at the end of winter).

I just wanna ride my bike
    All good suggestions. I would also invest in a pair of really good bike shorts with a good shammy. Your butt will thank you for it.

Master Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by Trower View Post
    I would say you would be just fine, as long as you don't push super hard and take it easy, you'll have all day to do your mileage after-all I will say as others have, make sure your saddle is comfortable and your riding position is comfortable as well. What model is your Raleigh? Some of those old Raleigh's are really nice rides You have any pictures?

Best of luck preparing for your trip!
    The Raleigh is a steel 1980's Gran Sport with all Suntour components. It's not even worth taking pictures of :/

Good news is I just grew a pair and ordered a Motobecane Super Strada with SRAM Apex stuff and it's about 6 lbs lighter. I am also switching to clip in pedals for the first time ever. Should be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuyOnABike View Post
    I echo the thoughts above. Keep a decent pace, get a comfortable saddle, I will add that the fastest pace the group should go is the pace of the slowest person's pace (unless its a competition! Which can be fun to do in sections of the route).
    What is a good value, comfy road saddle? Everything I see on Amazon either looks atrocious, has terrible reviews, is ridiculously heavy, or is ridiculously expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    I.would def ride some more. Doing 4 70 milers will kill u otherwise.
    The weather is getting nice and I just discovered Strava so I'm starting to log over 20 miles on weekdays. As long as the weather abides I'll be doing at least 100 miles every week. Me and my older brother are doing a 35 miler on Saturday so I should be good to go by June. I'm going to continue to ramp up training and even try to bike to Madison and back (~85 miles each way) before this trip.

Thanks for all the helpful replies dudeskis!
    Last edited by mk.ultra; 05-09-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future