Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

The 500-Mile Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route

A preview of some bikepacking goodness in Central Idaho:

Bike Touring Special: The 500-Mile Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route | adventure journal

Maps will be available this autumn.
    Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
    http://greenecasey.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Now this looks good!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Casey I enjoy reading your blog have been watching it for more info after your recon trip. Really liked the fire lookout tours as well. Keep posting, always a good read.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This route really excited me last year and I've been waiting for ACA to issue the maps. I've checked their web site and there's no new information on it. Does anyone have any beta on when the maps/final route info will be available? Some discussions made it appear that everything was finalized and they just need to print the maps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Casey has been posting on bike packing.net. Sounds like the maps should be out real soon. There is a map on bikepacking., but it is not detailed. I will be riding it in late July with friends. Since we are both in New England, you could drive out with me if you are interested. I will also be on my Fargo. Harry

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryonaspot View Post
    Casey has been posting on bike packing.net. Sounds like the maps should be out real soon. There is a map on bikepacking., but it is not detailed. I will be riding it in late July with friends. Since we are both in New England, you could drive out with me if you are interested. I will also be on my Fargo. Harry
    Thanx's for the update on the maps and also the offer for riding. My schedule would be to ride in in early Sept, but thanx's for the ride offer. Hopefully you'll post back after your ride and let us know how awesome the route is.

mtbr member
    I've been waiting for maps to come out for a while. Looks great. I've been looking for a route like this to get my GF into longer tours with some payoff along the way. I can't think of a better reward than a hotspring.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I'll post that map here too.

We've been having some issues with our printer - nothing big, just trying to make everything perfect - that has cause the latest round of delays. We should have the maps sent off within the next week. Which means we should have them on shelves by late-feb, at the dead latest. The webpage should be up around the same time.

Thanks everyone for your patience.

Here's some more info on the route, including when to plan a trip for: Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route Q&A | Adventure Cycling Association

ps. Vik, I'm about an inch away from getting a Krampus. You still diggin' yours for loaded trips?

The 500-Mile Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route-backcover_idhsmbr_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flumphboy View Post
    ps. Vik, I'm about an inch away from getting a Krampus. You still diggin' yours for loaded trips?
    Thanks for the map Casey.

Ya love the Krampus. Got it pretty much dialled in for touring. No regrets buying one last year. It's great for exploring.

Since you can run a "normal" 2.4" 29er tire on it you really aren't into anything too specialized if you want to skip the Knards for a particular trip.
    Last edited by vikb; 01-24-2014 at 07:50 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    The maps have been sent to the printer. We will have them on-shelves in roughly 3 weeks.

If you are super eager to have them in your hands, please purchase them as soon as they are available. I have a slight feeling that the-powers-that-be did not order enough, and we will run out of stock fast. I'll post here right when we get them in.

(ps. Thanks, Vik!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanx's for the heads up. I'll be watching everyday, multiple times a day. I agree with you, this route will be a hot item.

Attaboy's to everyone involved, but especially you Casey,

mtbr member

The 500-Mile Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route

This is now added to my bucket list...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The maps have been sent to the printer. We will have them on-shelves in roughly 3 weeks.

If you are super eager to have them in your hands, please purchase them as soon as they are available. I have a slight feeling that the-powers-that-be did not order enough, and we will run out of stock fast. I'll post here right when we get them in.

(ps. Thanks, Vik!)
    Tick for updates on this thread.

mtbr member

(ps. Thanks, Vik!)
    Casey lets say you could only get the time to ride 250miles and you wanted to hit the best singletrack and hot-springs on the route....what would your recommendation be?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    ACA just sent me their spring Cyclosource catalog yesterday, and the Hot Spring map sets are listed in the catalog. However, I checked again and they are not on the WEB site. So I just called to order the map set, but the call center person said that they can not take any orders for the mapset until Feb 25.

So mark your calendars!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Casey lets say you could only get the time to ride 250miles and you wanted to hit the best singletrack and hot-springs on the route....what would your recommendation be?
    If your looking for a loop, I would suggest - to you Vik, and any other experienced bikepacker - the one a few of us have been discussing on the bikepacking.net thread (ACA's Next Dirt Route).

The only problem with doing Ketchum > White Cloud Option > Stanley > Alturas Lake > Willow Creek Option > Ketchum, is the section between Alturas Lake and Willow Creek is not part of our routing, and no one can find beta on it. I think the trails will be fine through the Ross Fork Basin, but they could suck. Its probably 15ish miles worth of trails, and a few more on dirt roads.

If those trails go, I think this loop will be exactly what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTFargo View Post
    ACA just sent me their spring Cyclosource catalog yesterday, and the Hot Spring map sets are listed in the catalog. However, I checked again and they are not on the WEB site. So I just called to order the map set, but the call center person said that they can not take any orders for the mapset until Feb 25.

So mark your calendars!
    True that. Our big rollout - press releases, blog posts, yada ya - will be on the 25th. I hope the maps will get here in time...

Like I said, I'll post - in this thread - the second they arrive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTFargo View Post

So mark your calendars!
    Just to confirm this, I just talked to our sales folks and we are not taking orders until the 25th. Even if the maps come in early, we are still not taking orders until the 25th. If the maps come in late, we will be taking pre-orders on the 25th.

mtbr member
    We have the maps in house. You can order them starting tomorrow morning.

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    Available to purchase now in the Mountain time zone; I'm buying mine right now! Stoked!!

Edit: Spoke too soon--site crashed

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I called up and ordered mine!!!!! They are on the way to my house, well after the snow clears today :-)

mtbr member
    Got my maps ordered and already have a couple people interested.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Plane tickets booked - check
    Bike packing bike - check
    Bike packing gear - check

The maps went on sale this morning. I got the first phone ordered set at 8.01 Mountain Time Zone.

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the sleeps before departure, but its safe to say I'm looking forward to this.

We don't have hot springs in Scotland so this will be a treat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmoonter View Post
    Plane tickets booked - check
    Bike packing bike - check
    Bike packing gear - check

The maps went on sale this morning. I got the first phone ordered set at 8.01 Mountain Time Zone.

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the sleeps before departure, but its safe to say I'm looking forward to this.

We don't have hot springs in Scotland so this will be a treat.
    What time of year are you going?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Ordered a set via the website. Flawless experience.

Love this part of Idaho, looking forward to exploring it by bike via this route. Get a membership and support the ACA (you'll also get discount on the maps!).

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast