Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook View Post
    people will enjoy the detour better since there is a lot more riding fit into basically the same amount of time
    A quick look at Strava indicates youíre adding 15 miles and ~1,100 feet to get to the Big Boulder Cr. Trail head (from Bowery). Further, Big Boulder Cr. to Frog Lake, over Castle Divide, and descending into Chamberlain Basin doesnít look like a picnic (see Strava below). In fact, youíd cover somewhere in the neighborhood of 4,500 feet over nearly 16 miles. Youíd also spend a significant amount of time at high elevations, topping out at nearly 10k over Castle Divide. Iím staring at the Sawtooth/White Clouds Idaho Trail map (Sawtooth/Whiteclouds, Idaho Trail Map & Guide | Adventure Maps) and it indicates the section of trail through Frog lakes as double black, so itís not like youíre going to avoid technical riding. Youíd be doing all this to bypass a hike-a-bike (similar to what youíd find on your alternative) and a 2-mile descent. Iíve never ridden the proposed sections, but I think itís highly likely it would take significantly more time than the 10 mile section youíre bypassing. In fact, itís a long enough of a stretch to add a day to your trip. Though, another day in that country wouldn't be all that bad

Bike Ride Profile | Livingston to 4th July near Clayton | Times and Records | Strava

Wandervans
    Quote Originally Posted by henrychinaski View Post
    A quick look at Strava indicates youíre adding 15 miles and ~1,100 feet to get to the Big Boulder Cr. Trail head (from Bowery). Further, Big Boulder Cr. to Frog Lake, over Castle Divide, and descending into Chamberlain Basin doesnít look like a picnic (see Strava below). In fact, youíd cover somewhere in the neighborhood of 4,500 feet over nearly 16 miles. Youíd also spend a significant amount of time at high elevations, topping out at nearly 10k over Castle Divide. Iím staring at the Sawtooth/White Clouds Idaho Trail map (Sawtooth/Whiteclouds, Idaho Trail Map & Guide | Adventure Maps) and it indicates the section of trail through Frog lakes as double black, so itís not like youíre going to avoid technical riding. Youíd be doing all this to bypass a hike-a-bike (similar to what youíd find on your alternative) and a 2-mile descent. Iíve never ridden the proposed sections, but I think itís highly likely it would take significantly more time than the 10 mile section youíre bypassing. In fact, itís a long enough of a stretch to add a day to your trip. Though, another day in that country wouldn't be all that bad

Bike Ride Profile | Livingston to 4th July near Clayton | Times and Records | Strava
    Henry, The trail from Livingstone Mill to Frog lake is great singletrack and very easy with bike packing gear. I was bike packing into Frog lake on the castle divide trail with BOB trailers over 10 years ago. On the recommended route there is about 1500ft of hike-a-bike on bowery and then about 1800ft of hike-a-bike on chamberlain creek. Maybe you are right about adding a day since that is a hard call and can vary so much by ability. I just know after having ridden in the Whiteclouds for the past 15 years I would much rather go my way than the recommended route with bike packing gear. Without gear I would actually go up Little Boulder Creek.

Check out my writeup on chamberlain creek on mtb project and you can see the steepness. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/600...in-creek-trail

I don't have a writeup yet for bowery creek on there.
    Live to ride!
    15 Cannondale Jekyll Team
    15 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Hi Gang,

I'm a working stiff who tries to periodically carve some time out for bike adventures. This carved-out time is precious and valuable and so I like to make it count, which necessitates research and planning. I've also done enough of this to know that nothing is for sure, and part of what makes bike adventures so great is that you can be forced at times to relinquish partial or full control of your circumstances to nature and chance. I'm good with that. Actually, I'm more than good - that's where all the great adventure lies.

So with that preface, I have carved out a 4+ day weekend in October. The dates are 16-19, Thur-Sun. The "+" part is that I can bail from work early on Wed afternoon, hitting the road so that I can be "there" and ready to ride on Thursday morning.

One of the options I have been considering is the IHSMBR. For some context, I live in Spokane. I have a like-minded buddy who has also carved out said time and who will be coming with me. We are both pretty experienced off-road bikepackers and we both have some backcountry experience and some emergency medical knowledge. Both of us have passed through our 20's and 30's and I like to think we have some pretty good judgement, meaning that families and obligations force us to have pretty good judgement. We are both also reasonably fit and love a good physical challenge and would rather be either climbing or descending, and love spending time outdoors and are reasonably used to adapting to and dealing with adverse weather conditions.

My question for y'all is whether a mini-tour through some part of the IHSMBR during this time frame is a reasonable option, or whether we are smoking crack.

We would be bailing from work early on Wed, 10/15, bee-lining for a town where we could overnight at a motel and park my truck, then heading into the hills for the next three days, returning on Saturday night, overnighting, and then driving home on Sunday. I suppose we could also come out on Sunday morning, get in the truck and drive straight home.

Hitting hot springs at the end of each day on Sat and Sun would be ideal, obviously, since it will be damned cold at night. Planning a route that is at relatively lower elevations would seem to be a smart move, at this late date. Along with weather, another thing that I could see seriously impacting this trip is the amount of hunting activity that might be going on during this time. Neither of us are all that crazy about interjecting ourselves into peak hunting seasons, probably especially the modern firearm ones.

With all that said, we still envision that maybe there is the potential for a rather awesome excursion, and wanted to solicit the opinions of those in the know here, especially those who understand the seasonal conditions/hazards/realities of the area in mid to late October.

Are we crazy for even considering this? If we are, I can accept that. But if we aren't, are there any destinations/routes that you think would particularly lend themselves to what we have in mind?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you are willing to provide.

mtbr member
    During fickle times of the year - fire season, spring, fall, etc. - what I like to do is plan 3 trips to 3 different areas. That way if, lets say, it's snowing in the White Clouds, it may be 20 degrees warmer and sunny in the Owyhee Basin. Or, out at some of those hot springs in Eastern Oregon.

I don't think your crazy for attempting a trip to central Idaho during that time of year, but just have a backup plan(s). I went down there 2 years ago in late October and we had 70 degree days for a week, and then a cold front moved in and it dumped 8 inches of snow above 8000ft.
    Casey Greene - President, Board of Directors - Bikepacking Roots
    bikepackingroots.org

mtbr member
    I haven't looked at my maps yet, but I think that with 4+ days your best option would be to do one of the singletrack options and then complete the loop by traveling back to the start of the singletrack on the normal route.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    I haven't looked at my maps yet, but I think that with 4+ days your best option would be to do one of the singletrack options and then complete the loop by traveling back to the start of the singletrack on the normal route.
    The White Clouds would be ideal for this. Start/end at Smily Creek Lodge area.

But, if you plan for the White Clouds, I'd definitely have a back-up plan. Snow is fickle.
    bikepackingroots.org

mtbr member
    Casey and Welnic, thanks for your replies.

I got home from work today and my maps were on my doorstep and my face has been glued to them for the last three hours. Casey, they are AMAZING. Thank you.

Welnic, your idea of tying some singletrack into the main loop to create a mini loop was exactly what I had in mind. Unfortunately, the devil is in the details.

Casey, before even reading your reply about the White Cloud/Smiley Creek option, I was magnetically drawn to it on the map. The problem is, that's the highest average elevation of the route, and I may well have misrepresented my abilities in my introductory post, but traversing 9 and 10k' passes in mid-late Oct is way more than I want to bite off. The other thing that jumps out from the maps is just the sheer elevation changes and therefore steepness of that section. It would be super slow going. I would love to do this, but in June or July.

One possibility at lower elevation that jumped out at me was driving to Cascade, overnighting there (if that is an option), and then driving south and finding a place to park the truck and heading out on some sort of 3-day route that would include a bit of Eagles' Nest singletrack and then a bunch of banging around on the main route and other secondary dirt roads between the numerous HS's in that region.

I am very excited about the"big route" and am anxious to get immersed in it and plan some longer trips in the upcoming season, but as a way to "get acquainted", given the limited time I have available this Fall, does this potential mini-route seem like a plan that has any merit?

mtbr member
    That looks like a good plan.

A lower elevation alternative would be to start riding at the confluence of the South Fork of the Salmon and the East Fork of the South Fork of the Salmon. Ride south on the main route to the North Shore Lodge. The highest point of the trip would be next, Warm Lake Summit at 7290 feet. Then when you get to Landmark head north and descend the road next to Johnson Creek to Yellow Pine.
    Then ride down the road next to the East Fork back to the start.

The only time I have been in that exact area of Idaho was on a paddling trip in 1979 when we ran the East Fork. I really liked the town of Yellow Pine, though I can't really explain why. I saw a trip report from someone who rode the route and they did this diversion through Yellow Pine.

Web cam of the runway just south of Yellow Pine:
    Johnson Creek Airport WebCam

mtbr member
    Welnic, thanks. The loop you described looks like another great option. One thing that really appeals to me is all the time you would spend riding alongside either the south or east fork. Lots of campground options, as well.

The JCA webcam is great. Sure looks like a fine day up there today!

Wandervans
    October in Idaho is such an unknown. Last year we got snow on the second weekend in October down to about 6000ft.

You would be better off planning for the Boise or Sun Valley area. McCall tends to get snow earlier and in larger quantities. Boise or the Owyhees are a good backup plan in case the snow really rolls in. I would suggest picking up the Adventure Map for the Sun Valley area and using that to create a singletrack option off the main route.

It is also hunting season in October so a lot of campgrounds will be packed.
    Live to ride!
    15 Cannondale Jekyll Team
    15 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just got back from a modified version of the main route (due to smoke I just hauled ass down 55 from McCall back to Boise).

Amazing trip, people, and scenery. I"ll be back for sure.

One note - I'd highly, highly recommend either the walk around on the hill or the entire re-route for the 268 slide. I definitely would not attempt to cross the river, then re-cross it to get back onto the road. The first crossing is doable without too much trouble. However, there is a LOT of quicksand-ish material near the eastern re-crossing. As in - it looks like a solid surface with a foot of water on top of it, but the first step you take onto it you'll be mid-thigh deep in sand and water to your ribcage. Scary stuff. I just realized on the drive home that had I been carrying my bike with me, it would have gone into the sand as well and I honestly don't know how I would have gotten it out.

So yeah - the walk-around on the hillside can be a pain in the ass from what I hear, but it's easily the safest option. Having both legs buried past the knees is kind of scary.

Deroymac

Thanks

I just wanted to thank whoever built the trail around the slide on the Middle Fork Rd., 268.
    It took us ~ three hours to move our two bikes and panniers to other side using multiple trips back and forth, but was easily doable last Thursday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The 500-Mile Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route-p1000172.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_f View Post
    Completed main Loop last Tuesday and returned to the UK today.

I was riding a rigid Salsa Fargo with panniers.

my track is here - https://share.delorme.com/timfield

Will be publsihed extended story on crazyguyonabike.com in due course with photos.

My maps are with my baggage which missed a connection so some names my be wrong.

This is how my trip panned out

DAY 1 Monday 23rd June.

Left my Warm showers hosts in Boise about 8.00 and followed Boise Greenbelt cycle route up to Sandy Point rec areas where I joined Boise Spur route.

Reached Neinmiyer camp-site - warm spring pool under water - about 18:00

Day 2 Tuesday

Cycled up to Atlanta and got their about lunchtime. Had cheeseburger and apple pie at the Beaver lodge bar. Both very good particularly the apple pie. Went to hot spring and camped at riverside camp-site. Bar lady at Beaver lodge is also forrest services camp-site person and has good info on which hot spring and which camp-site to use.

* Atlanta well worth a visit *

Day 3 Wednesday.

Started Willowcreek singletrack about 8.00. climb up past mine is steep but ridable apart from soft area where mine is working on road. Mine guys told me that I would be doing a lot of pushing later.....

Singletrack section starts well a lot ridable for me but had to get off for looser and /or steper bits.

A lot of trees down and not trivial to get bike over.

But the top section was epic, lots of steep snow patches, I had to kick steps with my feet and carry bike and panniers separately.

Reached Decker Creek summit about 18:00.

Trail down was covered with snow so took me about an hour and a half to get down to ridable section.

Reached Willow creek camp ground about 23.45 by Petzl headtorch light. Trail got more ridable for me the futher I got down.

* Too early in season to make this section anything but an epic due to combination of snow and downed trees from lack of tyre marks in snow think I was first across this year *

Day 4 Thursday

Only go going about 9:00 because of late finish.

original plan had been to back track to Featherville to get some more food. But due to late start decided not to but instead stop and cook some pasta at lunchtime.

Was tired from the previous day so found climb to Dollarhide summit hard compounded by altitude. Was going so slowly on final mile and stopping so much that ended up getting off and pushing bike at a steady 3 mph.

Descent need attention because road was in poor condition.

Reached Ketchum about 21:00 tired and hungry and went straight to supermarket for Bagels, cookies, orange juice and a yoghurt, which al tasted great.

Chatted to a guy who suggested Lift tower lodge Motel

Room was about $99 and was fine.

Day 5 Friday

In morning went to Laundrette and to supermarket to get more food.

Laundrette is attached to Grumpies bar on route in to town. Opens about 9:00. Bar can give change for machines.

There are 2 in town both upmarket and expensive.

Started to rain about 11:00 so sat on porch until rain stopped about 13:00. Just out of town started raining heavily again so took shelter.

Stopped at Sawtooth Park visitor centrer and got Harrison & Galena trail map and black wide mountain bike trail guide.

Got board of the Harrison Trail a bit before Galena Lodge so joined main highway for a a few miles.

Convinced my self that something was wrong with bike front end so adjusted headset tension, and cleaned dirt from behind front axel bearing dust covers to get rid of squeak.

I was sceptical that I was in the right place when starting the old tol road trail section, but it is exactly as described in the route narrative.

Camped wild on trail on 'old toll road' section.

*** Old toll road section is not to be missed ******

Day 6 Saturday

Day started cold but with no rain (and it was not to rain again during trip)

When old toll road trail reached the highway I decided to complete climb on the highway, not much traffic at that time and description indicated trail was rough.

Met some roadies on summit and put on warm gloves for descent down old toll road trail.

Excellent descent.

Followed trail through to Stanley, a great days riding, but getting hot towards end of day.

Signs indicated redfish lake camper grounds were full, but fanced a shower and bed so took a room at Mountain Village Motel at Stanley. ( I asked about camping at their RV park but they do not do that. Room was about $90

So liked Stanley that I decided to stay a 2nd night

So on Sunday cycled out with out my luggage up to Redfish lake.

At visitor centre there looked at a mountain biking guide book and learnt about a MTB trail around the lake and decided to do it. A nice technical trail just right for my rigid Salsa Fargo. Climbs out rigid on one side of lake then descents to far end (where I had a dip in the lake) and then climbs by switchbacks up the ridge on the other side. Trail just touches boundary of wilderness area. It was great and back at Redfish lodge a band was playing on the grass, so I sat in the shade and listened to them for a couple of hours. Then back to Stanley for a shower and Pizza. Did not have time to sort out a dip in the motel's private hot spring.

* Supermarket at Mouintain Village is very well stocked and reasonably priced *

Day 8 Monday

As I was leaving met a group of 4 guys rising the main loop accompanied by 2 of their wives driving their gear in a 4X4. They were having to get a wheel fixed, but exchanged plans for the day and said we might all meet at Bear Valley campground.

Ride was very good, good dirt roads with no significant traffic. At lunchtime met the 4 guys who had got wheel fixed and then had taken highway to make up time, but where then waiting for their wives to arrive with lunch. So beat them to Bear valley camp-ground. Camp-ground was almost full as lot of native tribe people camping. It was good to chat with the seniors of the tribe and them to show their spear fishing techniques.

The river was good to swim in (away from where people were fishing.

The 4 guys rolled in about a hour later than me and then Mike who was doing the main loop in the opposite direction arrived.

The 4 guys group kindly invited me and Mike to a very goof meal of chicken and rice. It was good to sit around the fire after the meal and chat about our shared lover of the outdoors and rest of our lives.

Day 9 Tuesday

Got going well before the 4 guys and had a good day with a few climbs and descents, reached Warm Lake in early afternoon. The final descent was on tarmac and great fun, like being on a alpine descent. Pleased oh how well I count corner on the 2.1 Smart Sam tyres.

Was warm so after a cold drink and ice cream from lodge retreated to the shade of the picnic ground 'no car' campsite (just past lodge).

About 6:00 went for a wonderful swim from the rocks below camp-site.
    Lake was nice temperature (but not warm)

Had good meal from Lodge and chatted with a group of young cycle tourist doing their own Idaho loop with more tarmac and less dirt.

** Store at lodge only has non perisahable supplies - tins, pasta etc.****

Day 10 Wednesday

said goodbye to the 4 guys as they were taking the highway to Cascade due to lack of time.

Descended down Salmon river, on tarmac, (though with some climbs ) lots of fisherman. Had a dip in 16 mile hot spring. (look for it soon after 15 mile post - I did not look until I got to 16 and had to go back)

Then back on dirt road and started climbing again. Here I had my only flat tire of the trip, which I quickly patched. Did not find anything in tyre, so guess it was a sharp road chip.

Stopped at Ponderoser Pines campground at 13:30. It was very hot even in the shade. It was too quiet after being with people for the last few nights as no one else was camping. My small radio could not get a signal at all. Very pleased when it got cool enough again to cook and read.

***camp has water pump***

Day 11 Thursday

Continued up Lick Creek Climb and got to summit 11ish to decided to ride the last bit of Sech single track section in the opposite direction to the guide and then take the highway to McCall.

The initial climb up to Duck Lake was very good, rideable with out downed trees blocking the trail, so it looked good for the descent down the other side. I had told my self that if I found a problem with this bit I would turn around. The descent started well, but then I came to lots of downed trees which were high above the trail, it was hard to get bike over them even after removing panniers. A 2nd person would have made it so much easier. It was joy to hear trail bikers (on motorbikes) coming the other way which meant no more trees across the trail.

Very good to get down to the lake and filter some more water and take highway to McCall. The idea of taking a Motel room was in my mind as a struggles with the trees but getting to McCall I realised that being ththe 4th July holiday weekend everywhere would be full. So camped at RV park and campaground beyond airport.

I expecteded a noisy night and I was right so did nor hurry to bed until past midnight.

*** two very goof supermarkets in McCall, good value with good selection. one near airport sells campstove 'european' butane /propane mix light weight cartridges and dried backpacking meals at resonable prices ***

Guy invited me to stay for 4th July party in the afternoon but I wanted to get on and avoid another noisy night.

Day 12 Friday 4th July.

Route leaves town for the dirt roads of the Long Valley past the finish farmsteads.

I reached the historic town of Rosebery about 12:00, it was very hot and the Museum did not open until latter, so headed off route to town of Donnely for a cool drink and a ice cream, then down to Lake Cascade for some shade and a rest. Found a good shady spot in the picnic shelter by the boat launch. The Latino group having a picnic party their offered me food and cool water and I read and had a swim. When it was cooler at 4.00 I got back on my bike and headed back to Rosebery. On the way a guy out in front of his house with his family and friends who I had chatted with earlier waived me down to stop and meet his friends - and he got me to have a go at badminton - which i failed to master - last time I tried was about 35 years ago. he ivited me to camp in his garden but I had not gone far that day son continued.

The museum town at Rosebery was very good - the town 'died' when the railway missed town by a mile and a new down was build by teh railway.

Abut 5:00 I got going again and camped wild on Gold Fork river. Lower down it is private land but higher up land is public and there are lots of camping spots by the river.

Day 13 Saturday 5th July

Day started with climb to Eagle Nest where single Track section starts.

At first I did not spot start of trail even though it was right in front of my eyes. So ended up deciding I was in wrong place and continuing on main route. Realised I had been in correct place and went back.

The route description says trail starts with a short climb. At first I could ride it but then I got too tired and the trail too steep and so I ended up pushing. Took about 1 hour to get to top of trail, but trail free of trees across trail ;-).

Descent was great, but hard of body on rigid bike, so when I go to road crossing I choose to follow dirt road the rest of the way particularly as the single track had another section of climb. Perhaps I should have missed the top section and ridden the lower section?

** watch out for the cool water spring on the main route after joining warm lake road ***

I got to cascade about 14:00 and had a rest in the shade in the park for a hours or so.

**** Cascade has a good supermarket and a 'Family Dollar' store which is very good value - I was able to replace broken sunglasses for $8.00 - I also go fig roles and dried fruit ***

I continued past Cascade lake to Clear Creek Station RV park

Good value at $7.00 for camping with showers.

They had a very good blues/rock band playing for a 5th July party. The band played from 6:00 to 10:00 so no problem with late noise. A very good evening.

**** have very small small store selling basic stuff ****

Day 15 Sunday 6th July.

Climbed up and over to Boiling Point Campground where I stopped for a long lunchbreak spent in the shade sitting on a tree root with my feet in the river.

Then another climb over to Silver Creek plunge pool camp ground.

The hot springs feed a swimming pool ($8.00 admission after 8:00 $10.00 all day) this pool was very welcome as it relieved something in my arm that I had hurt somehow on the descent. I am glad I did not stop at the 1st campground after the descent.

Day 16 Monday 7th July

Climbed over to Crouch and arrived at midday , very hot buy hung out in air conditioned seating area at supermarket for a few hours reading.

**** supermarket has good selection and is good value ****

Then moved on to Library which is on way out of town, coold with good internet connection - Wi-fi and computers.

Left library about 5:00. Reached Placeville at five past seven just as shop had closed, and soda can vending machine outside was out of order.

***** Placeville shiop looked like it had good selection of food even though it is a general store *****

Reached Idaho City about 21.00 and took room in Idaho City Lodge Hotel $65.00 a night mid week.

****Owner of Lodge can sort out car parking whilst on route.****

**** 2 small supermarkets in town - one open to 22:00 ***

Cooked on stove in car park as all earing paces closd by time I had showered.

Day 17 Tuesday 8th July

Hanged out in Holel until Museum opened at 11:00, then extended lunch at 'Donnas place' and then hang out at library.

Got going when it was cooler at 16:00.

3000 feet of climbing.

reached highpoint at dusk, and then climbed futher to lookoout.

amazing sunset - red sky.

met shepherd with flock of sheep.

very scenic ride along ridge before dececending to cottonwood creek.

Ride to complete route at Cottonwood campsite completed by moonlight (almost full moon) and petzl headtorch.

*** Cottonwood campsite is unsigned and on opprosite side of creek from dirtroad. ***

Day 18 Wednesday 9th June.

Main loop now completed.

Followed Boise spur along Arrowrock resevoir to Sandypoint rec area where I swam in the lake - nice temperature of water, then followe dBosie Green Belt cycle path back to Boise (rather that ACA route to airport)

Any questions happy top answer.

Big thanks to Casey, Adventure Cycling, everyone I met, and my hosts in Boise from warmshowers.org.

Tim
    The photos from my trip are here - https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=c0bff...E4HbZh-vUb8nl0

mtbr member
    Nice set of pictures. Thanks for putting those up there.

mtbr member
    I just posted some more photos and stories from the White Cloud leg of our trip, check it out: The White Clouds & Stanley

mtbr member
    Finally finished writing up my trip report from Idaho! We rode most of the route including the singletrack sections back in july. Fantasticly difficult vacation, thanks for all the hard work Casey!

See and read more here:
    Limberlost ? Lost in Idaho ? Idaho City to Smiley Creek Lodge
    The White Clouds & Stanley
    Journey North to Burgdorf Hot Springs
    Lost in Idaho - 4 of 4 - The Return South Through Eagle's Nest

Our crew in Idaho City by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Trudy's Kitchen, Powers courtesy of the house by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Thorn Creek Butte at Sunset by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Ryan King by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Jason, Soaker by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Fresh mint and snow summit cocktails by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Ross Shoulder by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Ross Shoulder, looking out over the Sawtooths and down into the Ross Basin by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Lyle by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Porcelain Rocket Mr Fusion seatbag by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Dropping into our campsite in Ants Basin by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Ants Basin by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Morning rituals by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Lyle crossing The Meadows by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Chunky! by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Boat Box Hot Springs by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Mr Fusion again by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

I carried a Tenkara rod and even caught some cute lil buggers by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Camp Cocktails by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Running out of food, lucky to find this large bolete on the trail by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Slept like a champ! by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Camped in a regenerating burned alpine meadow by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Top of Steamboat Ridge by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Swimming hole by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Goofballs by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Fool Creek Trail by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Lyle, getting loose by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

Yup, a Mountain Lion by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

And it's a wrap! Hardest 17 days I've had on a bike. by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sweet! My wife and I rode with you mr. slingshot man out of Smiley Creek-excellent write up and pics!

mtbr member
    Awesome! It was great chatting with you, hope the rest of your trip was fantastic!

I got a photo of you guys:
    Headed into the White Clouds by gabriel amadeus, on Flickr

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nice pic-thanks so much for posting. Yes-amazing place next time we'll bring our touring bikes. I must say-that mountain lion pic is out of this world...that would be on my highlight list for sure.

jamie

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Looks like that mountain lion is a youngster?

mtbr member
    Totally a baby kitty! He/she was playing in the hot spring when I rolled up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Cutest thing ever!

The scary thing about mountain lion cubs is that they stay with mama kitty for two years. So if you see a baby kitty, you can bet that mama is somewhere about.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Looking forward to this ride, ordered my maps already. New to bikepacking so I have Some questions for those who have already been there.

Is late August okay? Works better for my schedule. Tent or hammock?
    My ride of choice is a sweet Canfield brothers Nimble 9 singlespeed. Is a singlespeed doable?

Any and all advice welcome
    Thanks,
    Ward

mtbr member
    Late August probably holds the greatest chance of being sidetracked by a forrest fire - or smoke. If you do go then, be prepared to adapt to your plans and routing. Early July is traditionally the best time. Or - after the snow melts but before wildfire season.

I researched the route on a singlespeed. So, it's definitely doable.

You could do tent or hammock tent or tarp or mid. There are plenty of trees to hang a Hennessy Hammock type shelter. I prefer a mid, such as the Black Diamond Mega-Light.
    bikepackingroots.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Looking like my only options are late August or early Sept. I like the idea of a Mid as well. How bad are the bugs? I have about been talked out of SS, probably will put an Alfine 11 on my Nimble 9 to keep from having to work so hard on the flats. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    In august and september bugs are a non-issue.
    bikepackingroots.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Great!

mtbr member
    Keep me posted. I'd love to have some partners in this route. I'd be coming from the west unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    At this point our plan has us arriving in Ketchum on Sunday 8/16 early and trying to get on the road that day. Still debating the CW or CCW route.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What's the word for 2015 season conditions on the route?

How was the snowpack in ID? If as dry as other parts of the west, do we have an earlier date for trails/roads clear of snow and trees?

What is current and planned status of the MF Boise road washout?

Thanks if anyone can comment. Schedule constraints prevented me from making it over there last year but I hope/intend to do the loop this year.

mtbr member
    MF Boise Rd is fixed.

Snowpack is melting about 2 weeks to a month ahead of last year.
    bikepackingroots.org

mtbr member
    Wilderness was just signed into law this morning. It is now illegal to be in possession of a bicycle on these 2 sections of the White Cloud Option.

The 500-Mile Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route-whitecloudsfb.jpg
    bikepackingroots.org

mtbr member
    ^^^ bummer
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ugh. Fakk. Total bummer. A buddy and I were really hoping to ride this section in September.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My wife and I are going to be traveling through on our way back to the PNW the second week of July. I was thinking it would be fun to stop and do some day rides to some of these spots. Are any of the singletrack options conducive to out and back in a day, i.e. what is the average distance from the road to the springs? I assume most of the roads are graded/gravel. Any input would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    The Harriman trail heads north out of Ketchum towards Stanley. A double track with spectacular views its is a slow steady, but nothing too hard, until you reach Galena Lodge. A great place to stop and eat but they don't stay open very late at all. From there you either climb Galena pass or you turn back towards Ketchum for 20 plus miles of zooming downhill that rarely makes you touch your brakes. That run was my favorite ever on a bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    OK, it looks like I am FINALLY really going to ride this thing. I've convinced two friends to ride the full main route beginning Sept. 10th. We will all be on hardtail MTBs so might consider one of the shorter singletrack options if time permits. Some questions:

1) If we want to shave some miles/time, is there any reason we can't stay on the MF Payette road between points N and J on the Crouch-Cascade section? You'd miss Silver Creek HS and might only save an hour or so, but good to have options.
    2) I'm leaning toward Eagles Nest as a singletrack option over Willow Creek. Seems perhaps better riding, but that's perception NOT based on riding there. Maybe staying around Atlanta makes Willow a better choice??
    3) If you're riding the main route counterclockwise, and if you're on MTB, seems like no reason not to deviate from main route just for the first 8 or 9 miles of Eagle's Nest, since its all descent, no?

Any other timely inputs, please share. Hoping Sept = cooler temps and fewer bugs. Looks like sub-freezing temps are likely at night in the higher regions??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    OK, it looks like I am FINALLY really going to ride this thing. I've convinced two friends to ride the full main route beginning Sept. 10th. We will all be on hardtail MTBs so might consider one of the shorter singletrack options if time permits. Some questions:

1) If we want to shave some miles/time, is there any reason we can't stay on the MF Payette road between points N and J on the Crouch-Cascade section? You'd miss Silver Creek HS and might only save an hour or so, but good to have options.
    2) I'm leaning toward Eagles Nest as a singletrack option over Willow Creek. Seems perhaps better riding, but that's perception NOT based on riding there. Maybe staying around Atlanta makes Willow a better choice??
    3) If you're riding the main route counterclockwise, and if you're on MTB, seems like no reason not to deviate from main route just for the first 8 or 9 miles of Eagle's Nest, since its all descent, no?

Any other timely inputs, please share. Hoping Sept = cooler temps and fewer bugs. Looks like sub-freezing temps are likely at night in the higher regions??
    At this point you are going to have to work around the Pioneer fire closure, and its smoke: InciWeb the Incident Information System: Pioneer Fire .

Eagles Nest is much better riding than Willow Creek, and yes, if you are using a bikepacking style setup, there is no reason to not ride that singletrack on the Eagles Nest option. You can stay on the M Fk Pay road to shave some time.
    bikepackingroots.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flumphboy View Post
    At this point you are going to have to work around the Pioneer fire closure, and its smoke: InciWeb the Incident Information System: Pioneer Fire .
    Thanks for that URL Casey. I checked the current conditions page on ACA today and noted that fire, but the text summary didn't communicate the scale as well as the map you linked to.

Fire/smoke is not a riding obstacle I have a lot of experience with . . . can you help me understand the potential implications? Would you consider riding the route in current conditions? Do folks consider shuttling past critical/smokey areas rather than cancel a planned trip? Is a fire of this size typically expected to be controlled/stopped before we are in the area ~10 days from now? (I realize anything is possible but some generalizations might be helpful).

It doesn't appear that any of the roads on the main route are currently closed due to the fire. Obviously fire and smoke could make things miserable real fast. Since the fire is currently 58% contained and the status descriptions imply they are making progress, and its burning N/NE, I was hoping it may be resolved before we ride thru that area.

PS - which hot spring is shown in the map set photo w/ the bathtub and long pipe inlet?

mtbr member
    Smoke is pretty much the worst conditions to ride through. You can't really breathe in heavy smoke, and when cycling you have to breathe lots. It would say do not even try to ride anywhere between Banner Summit and Warm Lake. It will take a season ending event to put this fire out. Which may come this weekend, but I doubt it. The 58% containment is the area where the fire has already burned through. So, that orange polygon on the map is not all burning right now. Some may still be smoldering, though.

Here's a better map to gauge where the fire is actually burning, day to day (red dots are were it is most active): Fire Detection Maps

Smoke typically moves east. So, the westernmost and southernmost parts of the route typically wouldn't be affected by this fire's smoke plume.

That photo was taken at Burgdorf Hot Spring, on the Secesh Option. Right behind the tub is a huge pool. Google it for images.
    bikepackingroots.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Code:
    Here's a better map to gauge where the fire is actually burning, day to day (red dots are were it is most active): Fire Detection Maps
    Thank you for the link.
    Zoran
    2015 Diamondback Mason Comp 29er

www.leavenotraceexpeditions.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Given the scale of this fire (the largest currently active fire in the US) and the proximity to the route, we're definitely revising our plan.

Even the western portion of the ride seems potentially problematic, since there are road closures and camping bans within 5 to 10 miles of the route near Crouch. We are considering riding the Secesh option at the top, then down the main route through the Eagles Nest option, continuing south and eventually cutting back via the Boise spur (perhaps looping out through Atlanta if we have time). I have a friend that can get my can from the N of route down to Boise, so the logistics are viable. But I'm still concerned about smoke (noticed some comments online from Garden Valley residents) or fire movement. Also concerned about the singletrack from my friends, who have some-but-not-a-lot of trail experience.

Casey, how rough would it be for a full rigid (Troll) on the Secesh and Eagles Nest ST options? Two of us are running front suspension so presumably manageable even if not ideal, but one is full rigid.

Our other option is to shift entirely to an Oregon tour.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234