Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ants Basin is the worst rail ever! Hey these maps look great, I will order some and see you all out there!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a trip planned to Stanley (east coaster as well) this summer already...this new option can make things interesting! Just ordered maps-just have to figure out how to manage the pooch

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Got my maps today, they look awesome! Very nice job, Casey, of including some things not on previous maps (like the names/numbers of roads that are not on the route). That always drove me crazy about the GDMBR maps.

Several of us in Salt Lake are likely planning trips -- a variety of paces in different groups -- but many of us are talking about it through the SLC Bike Touring / Bikepacking meet-up group. A loaded touring group with 160 members! We are very excited.

mtbr member
    I've got my maps, now I just need to figure out the getting the time to go and someone to go with. I lived in Idaho for 7 summers and liked it a lot. I only started biking at the end of that but I really liked riding the gravel roads of the Palouse and Camas prairies. I was around a lot of this route on a kayaking trip many years ago, it is spectacular country.

26er
    I got my maps last night and they look great. I have ridden or driven on 90% of the route so it is fun to see it all put together!

For those bike packers using BOB trailers the Whitecloud option can be made more BOB friendly by going down the east fork of the Salmon to the Little-Boulder or Big Boulder trailheads and then heading to Chamberlin Basin from there.I have taken my BOB trailer in this area so I am sure it is doable.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    I'm living in Costa Rica and I was wondering how early in the year this trip might be doable? I know it depends on mother nature but what do you Idahoans think?

mtbr member
    Got my maps - thanks ACA and Casey! Too busy working and riding to really study them yet, but we won't be riding the route until Sept 2015 so no rush at this point.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by hammockman View Post
    I'm living in Costa Rica and I was wondering how early in the year this trip might be doable? I know it depends on mother nature but what do you Idahoans think?
    Late June is probably safe.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    if you are driving to the route, where is the best place near-ish boise to leave a car?

mtbr member
    Ordered my maps! Don't know if I'll be using them this year or next though. It's my new dream route.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    We are starting in Ketchum. I have several leads on parking . I just call bike shops and ask for advice?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryonaspot View Post
    We are starting in Ketchum. I have several leads on parking . I just call bike shops and ask for advice?
    if you have leads, i would just try to contact the lead. i'm going to guess that the bike shop is only going to give you more leads.

leaving a car randomly in downtown ketchum for several days probably won't work. since you're not far from the highway for that section, i would try the SNRA (Sawtooth National Recreation) Visitor Center just north of ketchum first. galena lodge further north may be an option, this might cost some $. and thirdly, depending on time of year, you might be able to keep your car in the parking area at river run lodge, may cost money as well. ketchum is a great town and full of very friendly people, i'm sure within a couple of phone calls you'll have a solid place sorted out.

my favorite two bike shops in ketchum are backwoods mountain sports and the elephant's perch. don't forget a cup of coffee at java on fourth before you leave. monkey fries and a burger at lefty's or a schooner of beer and a burger at grumpys are great options at the end of your ride.

mtbr member
    In addition to the above suggestions - which are preferred - you may have better luck parking in Hailey, then Ketchum. Ask the folks at Powerhouse.

There is a bike path that connects the two towns.
    Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
    http://greenecasey.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thanks for the tips!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm interested in this route. With my two friends we have almost completed the Arizona Trail from Mexico to Utah bikepacking the sections we can and backpacking the other sections due to being in the wilderness areas. We only have about 1/3 left. What I would like to know and after to help see if feasible for a trip and time is mileage from point to point sections? This would allow me to calculate our time to be able to complete the whole loop. We would start in Ketchum and end in Ketchum. Appreciate the info you can share.

mtbr member
    Could you clarify this sentence?

Quote Originally Posted by crashlongjohns View Post
    What I would like to know and after to help see if feasible for a trip and time is mileage from point to point sections?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Flumphboy - sorry if that did not make sense. What I am referring to is something like the following example from the AZT website as follows: ATA - Passages that can be viewed. This way I know from each segment the distance between landmarks. Example Ketchum to Atlanta to Idaho City to Crouch to McCall via Eagle's Nest Option then North Shore Lodge via Secesh Option, North Shore to Stanley then to Ketchum via White Cloud Option. Appreciate the assist on the information.

mtbr member
    We do not have that info online right now, but it is accessible on the maps.

Here are the lengths of each singletrack section:
    White Clouds: 66.9
    Secesh: 75.2
    Eagle's Nest: 48.4
    Willow Creek: 37.0

If you would ride the whole main route + all of the singletrack options, the milage would be just under 639.
    Last edited by flumphboy; 04-17-2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelllin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flumphboy View Post
    In addition to the above suggestions - which are preferred - you may have better luck parking in Hailey, then Ketchum. Ask the folks at Powerhouse.

There is a bike path that connects the two towns.
    There is park and ride near the YMCA in Ketchum, across from the Big Wood Pres. Church. Park in the area furthest away from the Y. Probably could find a spot there. Easy access out Warm Springs road that way. Down in Hailey, there are not many public lots, at least near The Powerhouse. SNRA would work too, but is a ways out. River Run dirt lot (upper level) at the River Run entrance to the ski area, does not cost anything during touring months either, at least at this time. that would be a good option as well. Again, easy cycling access along the bike path out Warm Springs.

mtbr member
    Going to try a little piece of this overall trail this weekend, accessing near Fairfield and starting at Worswick Hot Springs and working west to Featherville then out. Car supported family trip. We are focusing on springs NOT in the river due to it obviously being runoff season.

mtbr member
    How did it go?

mtbr member
    How did it go?
    Great! I will do a report tonight. The maps were a great help in planning out a trip that suited our family needs.

mtbr member
    How did it go?
    So this worked out great for us to do a small section of the overall trail as a car supported family trip. We drove in from Fairfield over Couch Summit, then headed out to Worswick Hot Springs. We were going to drop cyclists and bike in from the top of Couch but got a late start and were worried about finding camping. No worries. Worked out great!

The Worswick Springs were in good shape, and there was plenty of camping nearby.

Next day we cycled about 10 miles west along the So. fork of the Boise River to Canyon Transfer camp, and set up camp there. The stronger cyclists then mountain biked in a burly single track, with some scree sloughs, to Skillern Hot Springs.this was not a beginner mountain bike, so care was needed. It is approximately 3.1 miles in one way. Some exposure on some scree and rock crossings. Skillern is a very nice spring, with a waterfall falling into the basin we used. Nice temp. But could use some work on the basin. Was a bit shallow. If we had brought a tarp or liner we could have helped it out. Still a very nice and picturesque soak. There was another spring right in the river, but that was impacted at this time by runoff. The campground was great, and only had one other couple using it.

The next day we had planned on cycling about 18 miles to Baumgartner Hot Spring and campground, but that area is closed right now due to last year's fire, and a destabilized steep hillside that has thrown a boulder down into the campground and could shed burned timber. The rangers say they may open later this season, but are not sure. Too bad, as we were thinking a nice group soak in an improved spring, along with a shower and etc. would be nice.

Instead we went on to the Willow Creek area, still further west along the So. Fork Boise. We found a good, unimproved campsite, and found the springs. Could be a nice spring (about a mile out a single track) but also needs some work to make it a better soak. Still worth it.

Last day, we cycled out toward Featherville and turned that way, instead of continuing the route up toward Rocky Bar and Atlanta. Too early to get there yet due to snow. But we found springs at the Elk Flats campground, also known as Bridge Hot Springs, to soak our feet on our way out. From there, we drove back home to Hailey. Very enjoyable, and your map helped me plan a trip that was attainable for us, with cyclists ranging from 11 through adult. You can find some pics here if anyone is interested:

(Click on the pics and you will get a "story" of pics to view on Photobucket)

Idaho Hot Spring Tour 2014

We had heard about this trip (overall route) years ago but had never done it due to kids' ages. Your map really helped us pull it together. We plan on knocking off other sections of the route as time allows. Thanks again!
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; 05-28-2014 at 01:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Nice trip and photos.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Great trip!
    Last edited by the other Anne; 05-28-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: wrong forum

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast