ColoradoCoolBreeze

4 Hammock Hangers give Singletrack MtnBike Packing a try...

I was successful in talking 3 of my hammock camping friends into trying some mtn bike packing last weekend.
    Since this was their first bike packing trip I did not want to pick something too hard.
    It was decided to give the Colorado Trail seg 2 a try from West to East. We had a blast and I think I have converted them.
    Being light weight backpackers all had done very well keeping the bike pack weight down to 25# with 1 gal of water on board.

Here's a short video made by TrailRyder42 of our trip.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    You had me hooked when You and I rode seg 3 of the CT last year, and why I came again this year to do the seg 2 ride with you guys and why I rode seg 1 solo afterwards. The other two may not have taken to it whole hog as I have, but I hope they enjoyed it and stay with it.

And I hope you continue to offer to host rides.

Slothful dirt hippie
    First one's free...
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    My wife and I saw you guys up there that day. We were riding segment 2 as an out and back to check it out for a bikecamping trip this summer. Was planning on riding 1 and 2, camp where you guys did at the ridge and then turn around. Haven't ridden segment 1 yet, so I'm not sure how ambitious that would be. Fun section of trail though.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailryder42 View Post
    You had me hooked when You and I rode seg 3 of the CT last year, and why I came again this year to do the seg 2 ride with you guys and why I rode seg 1 solo afterwards. The other two may not have taken to it whole hog as I have, but I hope they enjoyed it and stay with it.

And I hope you continue to offer to host rides.
    Hi TR welcome to the forum. Everything I know about mtn biking I learned from these guys and gals on MTBR. Well except what I learned from crashing...haha
    I'm glad you are enjoying mtn biking camping. It's great to have someone like minded to ride with. Next CT seg I plan to lead will be seg 6 Mt Guyot to Breckenridge late august early sept. No telling when the snow pack will melt this year.
    RockyMtnChuckwagon did really well considering he was riding a borrowed bike (one of mine) and never rode singletrack before. LanceHawk survived with his sons bike and learn many lesson about being clipped in and how important center of gravite is with gear placement. We never got the chance to get together so I could checkout his gear. If I would have known i'd would have let him ride my 29er full squishy.

Quote Originally Posted by toothjockey View Post
    My wife and I saw you guys up there that day. We were riding segment 2 as an out and back to check it out for a bikecamping trip this summer. Was planning on riding 1 and 2, camp where you guys did at the ridge and then turn around. Haven't ridden segment 1 yet, so I'm not sure how ambitious that would be. Fun section of trail though.
    Hi toothjockey,
    We met two couples that day. Did you guys have a dog sporting protective booties?
    The ridge is a great place to camp. Nice view and easy to drop down should the wind come up.
    TR42 also rode seg 1 solo and I supported with a vehicle pickup. I believe he shot a short video of some of it. I'll bet he'd share a link to that video if you wanted a small peak of what the trail looks like. There's a bit more climbing.

I have done seg 3 and 2 to the ridge solo many times. My wife drops me at Wellington Lake and I park my vehicle at the bridge. I prefer that ride over 2-1.
    YMMV

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    This is a link to the CT secion 1 video I put together that SingleTrackLovr mentioned.

CT Sec1 Biking - YouTube
    2013 Kona Satori

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    MTB-packing! I like it.