mtbr member

3 day SF bikepacking trip?

Looking for some input from anyone that lives or has ridden in the Bay area. I will be in SF for work in mid July, and I'm considering staying for a few extra days to do a quick bikepacking trip. Looking to do 3 days, 2 nights. Ideal would be start & end right in the city, so I'm thinking north over the Golden Gate Bridge. Goal is camping, wild or otherwise, resupply once or twice, and the more dirt, the better!

Any advice, suggestions, or where to look for further research are much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm sure people will be able to chirp in with better routes and ideas, but here's a jumping off point from an overnighter that I went on (San Rafael-Samuel P. Taylor-Mount Tam-Green Gulch Farm - A bike ride in San Rafael, California). You could also fit in a night in Point Reyes National Seashore, ride more of Mount Tam, and make it loop back into the city easily.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by destructabot View Post
    I'm sure people will be able to chirp in with better routes and ideas, but here's a jumping off point from an overnighter that I went on (San Rafael-Samuel P. Taylor-Mount Tam-Green Gulch Farm - A bike ride in San Rafael, California). You could also fit in a night in Point Reyes National Seashore, ride more of Mount Tam, and make it loop back into the city easily.
    Thanks for the info. Just did some research on Point Reyes, sounds like it might be a good spot for one of my nights. Any idea if it's possible to just wild camp, or do I need to reserve a site?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I did an weekend trip from SF to pt reyes/wildcat beach on saturday and back on sunday. great trip but you need reservations for camping in pt reyes- the rangers there routinely patrol in pm to check for permits on weekends. i hear sky campground on the top of the ridge is also a beautiful spot to camp. lots of trail options around tam and the headlands.

mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssdoc View Post
    I did an weekend trip from SF to pt reyes/wildcat beach on saturday and back on sunday. great trip but you need reservations for camping in pt reyes- the rangers there routinely patrol in pm to check for permits on weekends. i hear sky campground on the top of the ridge is also a beautiful spot to camp. lots of trail options around tam and the headlands.

mark
    Thanks for the info. It turns out I got my dates wrong, and I will only have 1 night and 2 days, bummer! Anyway, I was looking at either reserving a spot somewhere in Point Reyes, or head to Samuel Taylor, which I've heard has bike sites that do not require reservations, that might give me more flexibility. I just checked the reservation site, and there are sites still available at Glen Camp and Sky Camp.

Mark

mtbr member
    Just mapped out a ride from the city to Sky Camp, usinf as many trails as I could figure out. 48.8 miles and 7620 feet of climbing, ouch!

Palace Hotel to Sky Camp - A bike ride in San Francisco, CA

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    that route has way too much road riding. the route I took was mostly dirt. GG bridge to Conzolman road to Coastal to Miwok to iron springs to tennessee valley to coastal fire road to highway 1 to coastal single track up to pantol on mt tam.
    http://www.marinbike.org/Campaigns/M...nHeadlands.pdf

up ridgecrest road to bolinas ridge trail down mccurdy across highway 1 to olema valley trail up stewart to glen camp(not sky camp) or down to wildcat camp.
    Point Reyes National Seashore Map - Point Reyes National Seashore California ? mappery

suspect this is about 35 miles. return same way but back up randall from olema valley trail(better climb) and up middle green gulch from highway one at muir beach.

mark