mtbr member

29er amongst group of Roadbikes+ Hybrid for short tours ?

So I have a small group of folks whos looking into some touring during the summer. They are advertised as 30-60 mil stints , mostly flats nothing crazy/or for competition. Of the 5 so far 3 are on entry level road bikes. 1 on a midrange hybrid. I myself have a 29er.
    Ironically my 29er is probably the lighest of the group at around 23 lbs. While I normally roll in a pair of 2.2 WTB Nanos I do have Scwhalbe marathon 35c Ive used before.

My concern is my current setup (With Nanos) even though lighter still has trail tires running tubeless at ~35 PSI. Plus I have a 1x10 setup. Will I have any issues keeping up with these guys ? I dont want to slow them down. Will a tire swap + tubed pressure be enough ?
    If this becomes a common thing or a lost cause I may buy an entry level road bike from BD.COM.

TL;DR

Would a very light 29er have issues keeping up with entry level road bikes for 30+ mile paved tours ?

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    My recommendation: go out onto a paved road, shift into your highest gear, and see how fast you are going. If you are in the 20's, then I bet you'll be fine (as they won't be going that fast). I put gears on my singlespeed for touring, because I didn't like spinning out at 12 mph.

Slower than you...
    It's gonna depend on two things: gearing (yours) and engines (yours & theirs).

If it's a group who's cruising at 14-16, then you've got the gearing to hold pace - assuming you've got the engine to do that for 2 hrs. I'm running 1x10 on my 29er, as well (33 x 11-36T) & I can cruise (on pavement) at 15mph without the whole hamster-on-crack thing going on.

However, if it's a group who's cruising at 18-20, you're going to need to be comfortable spinning at very high cadences or have the engine to push a bigger ring.
    Start slow, then taper off.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys....didnt think to test things that way. Gonna have to try that.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    And is your swapping tires already changing a chainring shouldn't be that much more work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think the drag is in the suspension, tires, and the possibly less aero position. My old commuter was a rigid Hardrock and I took it on a couple mellow supported tours and did just fine even with knobby tires. Some people didn't seem to appreciate that.

Put the road tires on and do it. Maybe hit some road group rides first to make yourself more comfortable with the idea that it will work.

PS. Assuming that, at 23lbs your bike is a hardtail with a locking fork or rigid.

@trailgrinder
    You will be comfortable but the upright position will cause a little more draft. From the sounds of the group it doesn't sound like they will be hammering the pavement but it is amazing how much speed you can gain by running the skinniest. Pump your tires up as high as you can and go as rigid as you can and you will be fine

mtbr member
    The last sentence in your question/post really is up to the riders involved. There are riders who could ride a fs 26 inch bike and leave you in the dust if you are on a $10,000 carbon road bike. It sounds like, based on your description, the ride is fairly casual, so you seem like you would be fine.
    I ride my cheap, heavy, Cannondale on some 20 mile road rides. With the front fork lockout and tires at 80....cruises just fine.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29