mtbr member

*HELP* First Bikepacking/Touring Rig and I Need recommendations

I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out what type of touring rig I should buy/build up. I have $1000 to spend and I'm torn between a rear rack/Panniers & Frame Bag setup with an additional handlebar bag or my other option is to go with a B.O.B. Trailer, and Frame Bag. This setup would ideally be on a Steel Frame Mt. Bike or a Hybrid.

I'm more comfortable on a Mt. Bike type bike then I am on a road/cross bike. I've owned two road bikes in the past and both freaked me out when I got up to speed and I felt my confidence disappearing on gravel/rough road sections.

I definitely want a 700c (29") wheel size, disc brakes, and possibly suspension up front but it's not a must. I'd like steel but I'm sure Aluminum would be fine.

What bikes or setups would you recommend going with?

Cheesiest
    Karate Monkey?
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I got the 2013 Giant Revel 1 for $530, although I have recently started looking at other, more touring specific, bikes (sorry mtbr!) due to road / trail types found in Ohio.

The only thing you need is a bike, shelter, water, and food. It helps to have things that can maintain those 3 necessities. How comfortable do you want to go? Super-survival minimilist, or the opposite end of the spectrum (me), "if home is where I put my head at night, I'm gonna be as comfortable as possible". For this frame-of-mind, I have been debating on getting a trailer.

If your survival knowledge is above par, all you need to live comfortably is a bike and nothing else.. total investment: $50 - $600 for the bike depending on where / what you get.

The more gear you have, the more expensive its going to be obviously. I did my first dry-run with about $100 worth of "stuff" in addition to the cost of the bike. It wasn't pleasent, but it was sustainable. After the dry-run, I think I have around another $1500 worth of stuff - Revelate Designs Sweet Roll with tent, sleeping bag mounted under that with the additional straps, an RD small tangle to hold repair parts / tools, an RD feed bag for carrying snacks / trash / camera, a ToPeak gas tank bag for electronics, an RD jerrycan for spare batteries and cables. Rear rack with panniers for food / campsite stuff.. mounted on that is a camp chair and pillow rolled into a sleeping bad.

A camelbak HAWG for water, clothing, and headlamp.

As I said, I live comfortably

edit:

Cost Breakdown:
    Electronic Equipment (Camera, ipod, recharger): $636.92
    Bike Equipment (bike, rack, bags, repair items, aerobar, etc..): $1485.77
    Camping Equipment (tent, groundcloth, camping equipment): $889.26

Last 2 things on the list which are not included above are the Garmin Etrex 30 ($270), mount ($25.00), and Jones H-Bar ($120).

damn.. way more than I thought... $3,426.95... owch - but this is over the course of several months; I've been building this kit since Febuary / March I think.
    Last edited by RandomGuyOnABike; 05-30-2013 at 12:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks RandomGuyO I'm leaning toward a Redline Metro 9 or an old Cannondale T700 for around $300 now. I think both would work for me (minimilist), I'm still on the fence as to if a Bob trailer is cooler then a rack/pannier setup?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'd assume that a rack / pannier setup would be cheaper than a bob trailer?

The pannier / rack combined cost me $125. Not sure how much trailers go for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I know I'm a little late in replying to this but remember that a trailer does several things, one, it elongates your footprint, dispurses your weight but it also adds a third ground contact (assuming you are using a single wheeled trailer) which of course increases your chances of flatting. Also, as it does lengthen your footprint, tught turns might be an issue.

If it were me, I would go with something like a seatpost rack and backpack. Simply for the reason you generally want to keep your front profile as narrow as possible. Hanging stuff off of the sides of the bike makes you run the risk of being 'caught' by trees, shrubs, boulders, etc...

I would copy a set up from this website....
    Revelate Designs LLC