Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    The Mud Stud
    Reputation: Dirt Bringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,419

    Xc/Trail Suspension frame for $600, possible?

    The same as the description. Is it possible to find a good cross country/trail dual suspension frame these days for around ~$600? I currently ride a rockhopper and want to try dual suspension but I cant afford an expensive frameset.

  2. #2
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
    The same as the description. Is it possible to find a good cross country/trail dual suspension frame these days for around ~$600? I currently ride a rockhopper and want to try dual suspension but I cant afford an expensive frameset.
    $600 MSRP, probably not, but I've bought several decent frames for around that on closeout specials.

    I got a 2010 Marin Mt Vision frame for just under $600 a year ago, and bought a KHS XC frame to build up for my wife for under $500. Neither are stellar, but they are decent.

    Go over the the "deals" board.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  3. #3
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,473
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    $600 MSRP, probably not, but I've bought several decent frames for around that on closeout specials.

    I got a 2010 Marin Mt Vision frame for just under $600 a year ago, and bought a KHS XC frame to build up for my wife for under $500. Neither are stellar, but they are decent.

    Go over the the "deals" board.
    What do you know, both frames I mentioned are right here:

    Welcome to Bob's Bicycles

    I'd feel OK recommending either for those prices, but I'd go with the KHS over the Mt Vision.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  4. #4
    The Mud Stud
    Reputation: Dirt Bringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,419
    I've seen those. The unfortunate truth is that I fit a large and neither of those is going to fit me. Just my luck I guess lol.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aresab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,540
    Bob's has an ebay store with an XC604 for $449 and $29 shipping. I ride 19" bikes, but bought the same frame in XC204 form in XL. It is fine but ymmv. Here is the link:
    '09 KHS XC604 Bicycle Frame w/ X-Fusion 02 RC Shox 100mm Travel X-Large New OE | eBay

  6. #6
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,171
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    $600 MSRP, probably not, but I've bought several decent frames for around that on closeout specials.

    I got a 2010 Marin Mt Vision frame for just under $600 a year ago, and bought a KHS XC frame to build up for my wife for under $500. Neither are stellar, but they are decent.

    Go over the the "deals" board.

    ^^^this
    I bought both Intense Spider and 5.5s for less than $500/each a few years ago from Supergo (ok it's quite a few years ago) on close out. I'd think that if you look up some 2010 frame from lbs that sell Titus, giant, Cannondale, etc, something may come up. Good luck.

    A used Cannondale Rush or Prophet bike can be as low as $700 with lefty fork. I've also seen Intense in that price range as well so shop around.

  7. #7
    The Mud Stud
    Reputation: Dirt Bringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,419
    Thanks for all the feedback. Thats kind of what I'm hoping to do. How about this frame?
    Sette Derro Dual Suspension 4inch Frame at Price Point
    Any experience or opinions on it?

  8. #8
    derp
    Reputation: danielsilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    ^^^this
    I bought both Intense Spider and 5.5s for less than $500/each a few years ago from Supergo (ok it's quite a few years ago) on close out. I'd think that if you look up some 2010 frame from lbs that sell Titus, giant, Cannondale, etc, something may come up. Good luck.

    A used Cannondale Rush or Prophet bike can be as low as $700 with lefty fork. I've also seen Intense in that price range as well so shop around.
    I agree with this, i bought a used ( but in excelent condition ) Cannondale Rush with a Left and Fox RP3 for 700€ ( yeah that translates to $900 but stuff around here is always way overpriced compared to you americans ) and the guy even drove 400km to bring me the frame !

    Patience and a good look around can get you some good deals.

  9. #9
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. Thats kind of what I'm hoping to do. How about this frame?
    Sette Derro Dual Suspension 4inch Frame at Price Point
    Any experience or opinions on it?
    Don't know about that one in particular, but you will find plenty of positive reviews of other Sette FS frames on these boards.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aresab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,540
    Sette frames are typically a good value, I also have had 4 Sette Riddik frames, I sold 3, kept 1 as a loaner. They've climbed up a bit in price, but still seem to be an OK value. There are a few posts on the Sette forum and the frame/bike is generally well received. You will need a Zero Stack headset as well.

  11. #11
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,171
    If you can up your budget a bit there's a Giant Trance X 2011 frame for $850.

    Also my LBS has Old New Stock Titus Motolite in size large and may be med. (I'm not sure what size you are riding) with Fox Rp2 shock for $800.

  12. #12
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,473
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    If you can up your budget a bit there's a Giant Trance X 2011 frame for $850.
    Pretty sure that place is a scam.

    An outfit in Indonesia with prices way too good to be true on current year models? Right.

    Conduit Cycle, Linkcycle, a few others as well. Google them.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  13. #13
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,171
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Pretty sure that place is a scam.

    An outfit in Indonesia with prices way too good to be true on current year models? Right.

    Conduit Cycle, Linkcycle, a few others as well. Google them.
    Oh thanks, I just googled it, I know for the fact that my LBS is not

  14. #14
    The Mud Stud
    Reputation: Dirt Bringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,419
    Oh yeah, the other thing is that my fork's steerer tube was cute a tad shorter than it should have been so I think that, unless the giant Trance's headset is integrated or zero stack, my current fork wont fit. Part of the reason my options are limited. So far I've been looking at used offerings on ebay, I'm not sure if thats a wise idea or not with a suspension frame.

  15. #15
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
    Oh yeah, the other thing is that my fork's steerer tube was cute a tad shorter than it should have been so I think that, unless the giant Trance's headset is integrated or zero stack, my current fork wont fit. Part of the reason my options are limited. So far I've been looking at used offerings on ebay, I'm not sure if thats a wise idea or not with a suspension frame.
    Well, it's pretty safe to buy from a private party as long as you can inspect the frame in person, or get it from a reputable seller(like Mtbr classified) I bought a few used frame from the classified and never had any problems, most of the time it's exactly what it was advertised for. How long is your steerer tube, btw?

  16. #16
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,473
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Oh thanks, I just googled it, I know for the fact that my LBS is not
    Right. I meant conduit cycles was a scam, not your LBS.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  17. #17
    The Mud Stud
    Reputation: Dirt Bringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Well, it's pretty safe to buy from a private party as long as you can inspect the frame in person, or get it from a reputable seller(like Mtbr classified) I bought a few used frame from the classified and never had any problems, most of the time it's exactly what it was advertised for. How long is your steerer tube, btw?
    Its exactly 200mm long without the headset race.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,639
    There are a lot of extra costs that may go along with replacing a frame. Unless you are confident in disassembling and reassembling the bike yourself, you will need to pay a shop a significant amount to do so. If the steerer tube on the fork isn't long enough for your new frame, you will need to buy a new fork or replace the upper assembly. You may need to buy a new seatpost that fits your new frame, as not all frames have the same seatpost size. You will likely need new cables and housing as well, plus adjustments to everything. Not a big deal if you know what you're looking for and feel comfortable changing the parts over, but significant if you don't. Just throwing that out there. Maybe you already know all of this.

  19. #19
    The Mud Stud
    Reputation: Dirt Bringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    There are a lot of extra costs that may go along with replacing a frame. Unless you are confident in disassembling and reassembling the bike yourself, you will need to pay a shop a significant amount to do so. If the steerer tube on the fork isn't long enough for your new frame, you will need to buy a new fork or replace the upper assembly. You may need to buy a new seatpost that fits your new frame, as not all frames have the same seatpost size. You will likely need new cables and housing as well, plus adjustments to everything. Not a big deal if you know what you're looking for and feel comfortable changing the parts over, but significant if you don't. Just throwing that out there. Maybe you already know all of this.
    Yes thanks for mentioning this. In my case, aside from installing cranksets and headsets, for which I do not possess the proper tools, I can pretty much assemble and adjust everything else on a bike, so I'm not too concerned. My brakes are hydraulic so they will be easy to install, and I use a 1x9 transmission so that too lowers the amount of work considerably. My only concern is using 1x9 with dual suspension. I may have to replace my pauls chain keeper with something else but other than that I think I'll be alright.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    338
    Im surprised no one has suggested a Santa Cruz Superlite. Brand new frames sell for $800 with a fox shock. A steal IMO. Pretty sure they can be built with a 80 to 120mm fork also so pretty versatile. Plus its a tough proven platform.





















    .

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    489
    Have a look at some of the Kona frames. I've seen them for very low prices.

  22. #22
    The Mud Stud
    Reputation: Dirt Bringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,419
    I've been seriously considering that sette derro frame, its apparently similar to the sette ace. The thing that worries me is that I've done a lot of reading on suspension systems over the years and I know single pivots aren't really the pinnacle of modern suspension engineering. However, I've never owned any, so I'm not sure if the difference is really all that significant or if a good single pivot design works about as well as anything else. I want something cheap but good...its a defect I know.

  23. #23
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,171
    Like everything else, not all single pivot are equal. Some are great like Cannondale and Santa Cruz for example. They share similar trades compact cockpit great firm pedaling in granny and plush on the descends.

    The current trend is the dual mini links like DW Link or VPP or maestro or other anti-squat designs. They are more user friendly overall as they are easier to set up for firm yet active suspension, active during braking and bottomless feel on the descends.

    It's best if you can try them out so you can be sure you get the best frame that fit you and still won't break your bank.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,929
    I'd suggest you have a serious look at those Motolite frames that mimi mentioned. As long as you can get away with using your current fork (steer tube length issue) then you will have a nice platform to work with. When you have the money to add a new fork, you can go with anything from 100mm to 140mm on that frame. In the interim, you can run it in 100mm rear travel setting (the Motolite has 2 travel settings).

    I have a Motolite and it is a sweet bike. Very reasonable weight too.

  25. #25
    The Mud Stud
    Reputation: Dirt Bringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,419
    Where can you get those frames? They look pretty nice but I cant find anywhere online where you could pick one up for a good price.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    269
    Jenson had some new but several year old Dakar frames. I've had 3 or 4 Jamis's and always thought they were great frames. I know they had problems with chainstays, but I never had a problem with mine.

  27. #27
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
    Where can you get those frames? They look pretty nice but I cant find anywhere online where you could pick one up for a good price.
    My lbs has it for $800 as I mentioned earlier if you can't find it elsewhere pm me ill give you the info. I have both racer x and motolite they are pretty bad a$$.

    Edit: I know for sure that you'd need a new seat post. The spech you have required 31.6 and the motolite 27.2. Front der is not a problem because you can get an adapter. On the up side you should not have a head tube clearance issues because it should not be longer than 125mm. I saw your pic you have a bit more than 200mm.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    113
    $600 is actually a very generous budget for a 2007-2010 vintage full suspension frame. Where you run into limitations is whether you need a 4" or 5" bike to swap out your fork. If you need a 4" then your choices are narrower. The Titus Motolite is a great choice since you can do either (it's quite unique in that regard) and I think if you can be patient a used one will show up. Alternatively the Racer X will suit just fine. Personally I think you are better off renting a bike for a long weekend and trying it out. Odds are you will want to upgrade and personally I don't think it makes sense to swap all that stuff out rather than just sell the old bike and try and find a complete used FS bike

  29. #29
    The Mud Stud
    Reputation: Dirt Bringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,419
    I found a used trance from a few years back online for a great price. Basic shock but with a trance, you don't really need a platform for good pedaling and it can be upgraded in the future. Its the 4 inch travel version of the bike. The thing is its steerer tube length is about 165mm and my steerer tube on my fork is 200mm. Is there a way to make that work? I don't care too much if I'm not using a spacer, I can just put a steeper stem on it if it bothers me, right now I only use a 5mm spacer on my bike anyway. I just want to make sure it will actually work. Thanks.

  30. #30
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,171
    Have you got pic? I'm not sure how far back when trance stop making 100 version.

    From your spech pic with the measuring tape it looked like you have about 205-210mm because you didn't start the measurement til the top of the race. You have 165mm headtube to deal with plus about 40-50mm stack of the stem depending on the stem of course. I know Thomson is 42mm and Giant uses zero stack internal HS so you should be fine, IMO.

    I'd take all of the measurement of your current stack and take that number with me when I go see the bike with a measuring tapeto be sure.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •