Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XC/Trail bike for girlfried..

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  MtBkrJoe 
#1 · (Edited)
XC/Trail bike for girlfriend..

Hello There!

My girlfriend is looking for an XC/Trail bike and our budget is about $600-$700. She is around 5'2" so I guess we would be looking for a small framed hardtail bike. I am not sure how much hardtails would weigh given those parameters but I really hope it wouldn't weigh more than 30 pounds.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

I appreciate it, thanks

Pedro

#2 ·
Have a look at Konas if you are looking for production hardtails - pretty good bang for the buck there.

Jamis also makes their bikes in 13" and 15" frame size so that's another option.

Also keep an eye out for the used market (both full squish and hard tail) as sometimes you can find really great deals going that route.

#3 ·
Giant.

Check out the Giant Yukon or if you can get a deal on the Iguana go for that. Great bike and very reliable.
Another one is the Gary Fisher Tassajara(SP?). Thats another one that is supposed to be excellent for the money. I noticed you're in BC here... I'm in White Rock and White Rock Cycle will give you some nice extras with the Iguana and also 2 years of free tune ups . I know it isnt close to Coquitlam, but hey its a good deal @ 699.00 for the Iguana.

#4 ·
Also check out Specialized, Trek, Fisher and Jamis. The first three make women specific designs with softer sprung forks and components like bars sized more for women. Buy here whichever one she likes best, even if you think another is better or else you will have thrown out $700.

#7 ·
Many excellent XC bikes have been mentioned, but I for one will also recommend Specialized.
My daughter rides a 13" Specialized womens specific Hardrock.
My son rides a Specialized Hardrock XC.
I ride a Specialized Rockhopper Comp.

Uhhhhhhhh,...

Needless to say we like Specialized.

But,...

This is for YOUR lady friend, and the most important issue here is FIT
So, regardless of make or brand, get the bike that fits her the best, as different bike manufacturers will have different geometry.
As posted earlier, Specialized does have a line of womens specific bikes and I can attest to the smile on my daughters face when she rides that she thoroughly enjoys her Hardrock.

Hope this helps and good luck with your selection process.

Oh yeah,...with your budget in mind, be sure to allow for a helmet, shoes, gloves and other related equipment to make her ride more safe and enjoyable.

Live Long,...Ride Hard

Ol' DirtDawg

#8 ·
Ol' DirtDawg said:
Many excellent XC bikes have been mentioned, but I for one will also recommend Specialized.
My daughter rides a 13" Specialized womens specific Hardrock.
My son rides a Specialized Hardrock XC.
I ride a Specialized Rockhopper Comp.

Uhhhhhhhh,...

Needless to say we like Specialized.

But,...

This is for YOUR lady friend, and the most important issue here is FIT
So, regardless of make or brand, get the bike that fits her the best, as different bike manufacturers will have different geometry.
As posted earlier, Specialized does have a line of womens specific bikes and I can attest to the smile on my daughters face when she rides that she thoroughly enjoys her Hardrock.

Hope this helps and good luck with your selection process.

Oh yeah,...with your budget in mind, be sure to allow for a helmet, shoes, gloves and other related equipment to make her ride more safe and enjoyable.

Live Long,...Ride Hard

Ol' DirtDawg
Hey Ol' DirtDawg!

We were looking at the Specialized bikes; I have Stumpy so they do seem like nice bikes.

If you have the info can you let me know how much the Rockhopper weighs? What size and what year is it?

Let me know, thanks,

Pedro

Thanks

#9 ·
Pedro2005,

My Rockhopper Comp is a 2004 model, 17" frame, all factory original.
The bike, with empty bottle & cage, Windpipe pump & mount, weighs in at approximately 30 lbs.

I know I could lighten the overall weight with the removal and/or replacement of assorted components, but I like her as she is, and I don't plan to up-grade to lighter components untill the need is there.

Again, many excellent bikes have been posted here, Specialized, Giant, Trek, Gary Fisher, Jamis, (and others) so, IMHO I would get your lady friend the brand, make and model that FITS HER the best. So try test rides on as many different bikes as possible.

I do not have any weight specifications on the 2005 Rockhopper series, but the Specialized 05' womens specific Rockhopper is a good looking bike,....*wink*

(if you get her a good fitting bike, one that she is proud of, she will be more inclined to ride)

I hope this additional information helps and again, good luck with your selection process.

Live Long,....Ride Hard

Ol' DirtDawg

#10 ·
How about a butted steel hardtail?

Marin Bear Valley 2004

http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID4038...04-Mountain-Bikes/Marin-Bear-Valley-2004.aspx

Pedro2005 said:
Hello There!

My girlfriend is looking for an XC/Trail bike and our budget is about $600-$700. She is around 5'2" so I guess we would be looking for a small framed hardtail bike. I am not sure how much hardtails would weigh given those parameters but I really hope it wouldn't weigh more than 30 pounds.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

I appreciate it, thanks

Pedro

#11 ·
2farfwd said:
All of the suggestions are very good so far. I am a big fan of JAMIS and I think this hardtail is one of the best out there for the price.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/05_exile.html

My wife has also been on the Jamis Durango for a few years and it's worked out well with some upgrades. Jamis always has a great component spec for the price.

Good luck!
Do you happen to have a retail on the 2005 Exile? Don't find one on the Jamis website, and it looks as though it has a beter component selection then last years model.

#12 ·
Exile price

SingleSpeedPA said:
Do you happen to have a retail on the 2005 Exile? Don't find one on the Jamis website, and it looks as though it has a beter component selection then last years model.
I don't know for sure, but I'd say around $750-800 retail. A really good time to score a deal is at the end of the season, when most shops will let them go for cheap. I saw a 2004 Exile at a shop last year for like $400. Sorry I can't be of more help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.