mtbr member
    Sep 2009

XC Full Suspension Recommendations

Im a recreational XC rider looking to get off my hardtail and onto a full suspension bike and trying to keep the budget under $2500 or so.

I am just starting to do my research, and the more I learn, the more I realize how many options there are so I'm lookin for some advice from those with more experience than myself. The only hesitation I have about moving to a full suspension bike is the loss of efficiency/bobbing on climbs, so one feature I would really like to see on my bike is a rear shock lockout to improve efficiency on climbs or smooth rides.

That being said, the bike I've been looking at most seriously is the 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp. It's a 140mm travel bike, which made me hesitate at first because I likely do not need that much travel and could eat at efficiency...but it's got the Fox triad rear shock with 3 settings (full plush, pro pedal, and lock out) and the Fox float fork has settings for 140mm and 115mm (I would most likely use 115 unless in very rocky downhill).

So those are my thoughts so far...but I'd love to hear yours and other recommendations too.

AZ
    banned
    Giant Maestro suspension has the qualities that you are looking for. Ride alot of bikes , preferably in the dirt to get an idea of what you like .

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm building up a Kona Hei Hei supreme over the winter. Worth a look at. 2.5" rear suspension so you get the best of both worlds. I'm an xc fan and really don't need 140mm of travel for going up hills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    any well designed dually will not really need the lock out, i ride a four bar linkage with no lock out and if your smooth theres no problem. a lot of the guys i ride with are on maestro or fsr designs and most do not know if the even have lock out and if they do its too hard to access on the fly along with the fact that unless you are punishing a short track race course, they don;t use the lock out.

mtbr member
    When I went FS after riding my '96 HT for so long, it took me a while to accept the whole FS thing. I ran too much air pressure initially because it didn't feel right and I wanted to limit the bob and travel, Etc, etc, etc.

But eventually I embraced the FS for what it is. I run full open on the propedal all the time. Only put it in platform when I am on the road in transit or I'm on a long fire road.

The Stumpy is going to be a great bike. Just does everything so well. I just didn't buy one because I was tired of buying only Specialized bikes (already had 2 mtn bikes and 2 road bikes from Specialized) so I picked up a Cannondale Rush 4. Lefty is awesome and the I like the simplicity of the single pivot rear.

I wouldn't worry about the bobbing suspension so much. I think people get so hung up on it. My front bobs way more than my rear does on out-of-saddle climbs. In the saddle, I see ppl bobbing on high end machines and I've got no bob on my single pivot. I ride a road bike and so that's helped me with a very smooth pedal cadence.

What you get in return is efficiency, control and comfort everywhere else. You'll go faster with less effort. So you are able to conserve your energy to ride longer or to explode up a particular part of the trail.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'd check out a Fuel Ex8 as well. Great bike! Slightly different geometry from the Specialized, but it definitely does feel different. For me, it was an easy transition from a HT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Chainlove has been running deals on the Titus RacerX with build kit 1 for around $1700. It's the lowest end kit but still pretty decent, and a nice bike with plenty of upgrade potential. Sign up for their alerts to see the next time it comes up.

David B.