mtbr member
    Jul 2013

XC Frame Dilemma

I'm looking to start building a new XC bike and I'm wondering which would be the better frame to start with. A Felt Virtue 2($450) or a 2008 Banshee Pyre ($550). I mostly ride singletrack with medium/hard difficulty trails with a variety of debris. Suggestions anyone? Should I look for a completely different frame?

mtbr member
    Those are two really great frames. The Banshee Pyre is a more versatile frame and able to use a setup with a longer travel which would come in handy if you want to do some AM riding. I've ridden my friend's Virtue 2 and its a sweet bike and climbs extremely well and light for a FS. Plus I prefer a horselink suspension. For that price range, you plenty of options.

mtbr member
    I would keep your options open. Continue to shop and decide what you want out of your next bike. How much travel, how light, what material, etc. When it comes down to starting with a frame, make sure it is exactly what you want.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the info guys. I live in the prairies so I rarely do any serious DH. Almost all of the trails I do are XC singletrack. I really enjoy climbing and tight singletrack. Agility and lightweight would be my main concerns. I would enjoy something that has All mountain capability so I never have to worry and can use 1 bike for everything. I came across a 2009 element for $300. That seems like a good deal too. hmmmm a lot to think about