I'm looking to buy a bike. I see there is a "sticky" thread that indicates what I should ask. Here goes.
1. Budget - $1100
2. Currently thinking about - GT Avalanche 1.0 (http://www.gtbicycles.com/bikes/moun...-0-disc-white), Jamis Dragon 29 Sport (http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...n29sport.html), Jamis Durango 3 (http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik..._durango3.html) Cannondale Trail SL 29 2 (http://www.cannondale.com/catalog/pr...2/category/86/)
3. I ride mostly technical Cross Country. Mostly heavily eroded ATV trails with little to no trail maintenance. Typical ride averages about 8 MPH.
4. No preference over HT vs. FS, but I would prefer nicer components, so at this price, I am settling for HT in order to get better components.
5. Age - 29, Wt - 170 lbs, ht - 5 ft 8 in
6. Sources, I would purchase from anywhere, but would prefer to buy from a local bike shop. The bike shops around here only sell, GT, Jamis, Felt, Giant, so if it's another brand, I will have to purchase somewhere else.
7. I am open to other bikes.
I don't have many friends that ride, so I don't have a lot of bikes that I can try out. I've never ridden a 29er, and based on my height, 5 ft, 8 inches and the technical terrain that I ride, I'm nervous to buy a 29er. I've always ridden Shimano Shifters and I'm afraid I won't like SRAM, but a lot of the stuff i'm reading says SRAM is better.
I live in upstate New York, near the borders of Mass and VT. All of the bike shops around here are small, and only carry bikes for around $600 and under. So I don't really have a way to try out bikes. What's the best way to get to ride a bike to make sure I like it? How do I find demos, rentals, etc?
Any advice that you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: XC bike under $1100