mtbr member
    Jun 2014

XC to All Mountain Conversion Help!!!

Hey guys, we have a 2003 Large Specialized Stump Jumper FSR sitting, wasting away in our shed. We rode the crap out of it, and now it is in a sad lonely state. Pretty much just wall candy. I was wondering, since I really do not ride XC at all and ride much more at minimum all mountain to DH, is there any way I can convert this bike over to a freeride/DH bike, or at least an all mountain piece? I don't mind putting some money into this thing, but obviously I don't want to go crazy, or else I'd just buy a new setup. Let me know what you think! PS, on my FSR, it has some crazy old Fox air shock. I want to swap that out for something much more, shall we say, sturdy. Let me know if you think the dynamics are possible!

XC to All Mountain Conversion Help!!!-p4pb167079.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    And just a heads up, I would want to put something with at least 145-150 travel in the front on this... I just do not know if it is physically possible with the mechanics of this frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwcold55 View Post
    And just a heads up, I would want to put something with at least 145-150 travel in the front on this... I just do not know if it is physically possible with the mechanics of this frame.
    You could do this and some people have, but its not a very good idea. A long travel fork would stress the headtube way too much. Aluminum wears out over time, in fact it gets weaker every time you ride it. So combine an old frame that has been ridden hard and a long fork that overstresses the headtube, and you are just asking for trouble. Even new that frame wasn't made to handle AM/DH.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    You could do this and some people have, but its not a very good idea.
    Seconded, there's a difference between "can" and "should." That frame wasn't made for the type of abuse you want to throw at it. I imagine that throwing a fork with that much travel on a 3 or 4" XC frame would ride like crap as well, and you might be asking for a broken head tube soon. As an aside, I love that an old Float RL (what it looks like in the picture) is thought of as a "crazy shock!" Must be getting old.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    Seconded, there's a difference between "can" and "should." That frame wasn't made for the type of abuse you want to throw at it. I imagine that throwing a fork with that much travel on a 3 or 4" XC frame would ride like crap as well, and you might be asking for a broken head tube soon. As an aside, I love that an old Float RL (what it looks like in the picture) is thought of as a "crazy shock!" Must be getting old.
    Yeah, It's a bit crazy, I know. I figured it would be to much stress on the frame. Maybe I'll just revamp it as a xc bike, the way it should be. Also, I was 12 when this bike came out. it's scary to think about, isn't it? I'm using Fox's CTD line currently on my all mountain bikes and they just make the old floats look (and feel) like a mushy sponge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The issue that really needs addressed is how much it'll end up costing.
    Building a bike from frame up is ALWAYS way more expensive than buying a complete with similar parts. Sell this bike, if you really are over it, and start shopping for a used bike that suits your needs better.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    BETD makes a rear link to take it to 120mm rear travel. Maybe a light AM build?
    Specialized Linkages and Upgrades : Mountain bikes and componets by BETD Goldtec

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That linkage is pretty neat. Throw a 130-140mm fork on the front with that and rip it. It'd make a suitable trail bike, and I'm sure you could rip some AM trails on it as well. I ride everything on my 5" trail bike, it's not the best for DH and whatnot but it sure does the trick and with a 1 bike quiver i could not ask for much more.