I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

X-Post: Consensus - Touch up or full repaint???

Please look at the photos below carefully. This is my 2001 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra project - the day it arrived from the previous owner. As you can see, it has extensive scratching, nicks and peeling paint at the rear dropout from a leaky hydraulic disc brake(Magura Mineral Oil). The seatpost is also chipped up, as well as the head tube and there are significant scratching on the Headshok fork. I'd say paint is missing from roughly 5-10% of the entire frame.

My big questions to YOU are:

a) Can this be touched-up, waxed and rubbed out/polished? If so, what is a good touch up paint? Nail polish? plastic model paint, or Automotive touch-up? After all, I assume matte/satin black is fairly easy to cover up. I'm in absolutely no hurry to have this done....but I would like to know what is the best way to bring this frame 95% close to it's original condition? I am steering more towards this option, simply because of budget and lack of professional paint skills, other than a rattle(sic) spray can.

b) Full chemical strip and repaint. I know LOTS of prep is mandatory, to do this successfully. I'm just afraid of screwing it up, and FUBARing this rare frame. Also, the black Cannondale decals are reflective in light, which is nearly impossible to source/replace. I only paid $100 for this frame/fork....but would hate to spend $200+ to have this done professionally. I clearly lack the skills and confidence, unless I was tutored by a seasoned paint veteran, every step of the way(who has time for all that? LOL).

Thanx, guys. I appreciate any advice you can impart:

"The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Chemical strip, media blast and powder coat from a reputable painter. That is if you want to spend the $100 on a paint job. Otherwise, build it up and ride it.

T.W.O.
    I'd go with the touch up option as well, black is not a hard color to touch up so I'd go with that. You don't need to buy another set of decals. Be sure not to paint it too thick so you don't have to face them again.

I sent my fork our for custom paint job at spectrum powder coating, they did a great job but it would blow your budget a few times over for sure.