Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    93

    Would you buy this?

    So a guy is trying to sell me his custom 2008 stumpjumper pro, problem is that he built it with less desirable parts that the factory model comes with. I'm considering it, but I dont know what a good price would be. So... what would you pay for this rig? I appreciate the advice.

    It has a brand new 2008 120 mm Manitou Minute Super Absolute fork (I wanted the 08 cause the black matches the frame). Also a brand new Chris King Bottom Bracket coupled with a new Shimano XT Crankset. Really smooth set up. Headset: 08 Chris King OS Silver NoThreadSet smooth as butter Wheelset: 2007 Mavic Crossmax ST light, smooth, and FAST (still true, never broken a spoke or overstressed the wheel) Drivetrain: 07 Shimano Deore XT Rear Derailleur, XT Cassette, Deore Shifters, 08 XT Front Derailleur Brakes: Avid Juicy Five hydraulic disc brakes Stem/Bar: Truvative XR stem and riserbar Seatpost/Saddle: Thompson elite/ Specialized Phenom Gel 43 Tires: Specialized The Captain 26X2.00 Grips: Oury Lock-On All in all I think the bike weighs 28lb 6oz. There are minor scratches on the crankset from normal wear and tear. There are absolutely no dents, dings, or impact fractures/scratches of any kind on this bike.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: agabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    851
    I don't know much about that fork - but the rest of the build seems pretty respectable. If the fork is your concern you might start around $500ish so you have a few bucks to upgrade to what you want.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,051
    Quote Originally Posted by rancidmeat1
    So a guy is trying to sell me his custom 2008 stumpjumper pro, problem is that he built it with less desirable parts that the factory model comes with. I'm considering it, but I dont know what a good price would be. So... what would you pay for this rig? I appreciate the advice.

    It has a brand new 2008 120 mm Manitou Minute Super Absolute fork (I wanted the 08 cause the black matches the frame). Also a brand new Chris King Bottom Bracket coupled with a new Shimano XT Crankset. Really smooth set up. Headset: 08 Chris King OS Silver NoThreadSet smooth as butter Wheelset: 2007 Mavic Crossmax ST light, smooth, and FAST (still true, never broken a spoke or overstressed the wheel) Drivetrain: 07 Shimano Deore XT Rear Derailleur, XT Cassette, Deore Shifters, 08 XT Front Derailleur Brakes: Avid Juicy Five hydraulic disc brakes Stem/Bar: Truvative XR stem and riserbar Seatpost/Saddle: Thompson elite/ Specialized Phenom Gel 43 Tires: Specialized The Captain 26X2.00 Grips: Oury Lock-On All in all I think the bike weighs 28lb 6oz. There are minor scratches on the crankset from normal wear and tear. There are absolutely no dents, dings, or impact fractures/scratches of any kind on this bike.
    It sounds like a respectable build to me also. The Manitou Minute is supposed to be a pretty good fork. Some of the components are a bit better than those listed in BikePedia's 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro page, some are a bit worse, but none of them are bad.

    What's the asking price?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    93
    The guy is asking 1500 for the package. It has juicy 5 brakes instead of migura and lacking some of the Sram components but the frame alone is pretty bad ass. I have a 07 stumpy expert that I got for 1250 and Im just not sure I want to sell that for this. Dont want to get all caught up in the pro vs. expert mentality when it isn't even a true pro build

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,051
    Quote Originally Posted by rancidmeat1
    The guy is asking 1500 for the package. It has juicy 5 brakes instead of migura and lacking some of the Sram components but the frame alone is pretty bad ass. I have a 07 stumpy expert that I got for 1250 and Im just not sure I want to sell that for this. Dont want to get all caught up in the pro vs. expert mentality when it isn't even a true pro build
    Are you the original owner of the 07 Stumpy? If so, stick with that since you have a frame warranty with that bike whereas you'd have none with the '08 that you purchase from someone else. It's not worth it to worry too much about frame color or looks since you'll get a new frame anyway when you break your current one. (And you don't get a color choice with the warranty replacement frame. The frame is often an "upgrade" over what you currently have though.)

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    93
    No, I'm not the original owner, and my stumpy has been through a proper beating. Without having seen this 08 I can still pretty much guarantee it is in better shape. Im looking for a bike I can ride for the next year or so until I buy a new stumpy or enduro, specifically for the warrantee.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,051
    Quote Originally Posted by rancidmeat1
    No, I'm not the original owner, and my stumpy has been through a proper beating. Without having seen this 08 I can still pretty much guarantee it is in better shape. Im looking for a bike I can ride for the next year or so until I buy a new stumpy or enduro, specifically for the warrantee.
    Given that the 2010 models are hitting the stores now (or soon anyway), it might be worthwhile to check a few local Specialized retailers to see if they have some 09's (or even older bikes) that they're closing out. You'd still get the warranty, but the price might be a lot less.

    With regard to that 08 Stumpjumper, $1500 isn't totally unreasonable. It'd be a better deal of course if you can negotiate the price downward. It is impressive that the bike has a Chris King BB and headset. Not sure that that'd cause me to buy it, but it is impressive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •