mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Would like to see a list of custom frame builders.

My LBS said with what I am looking for is no longer made. I asked about an all Tange Cro-Molly steel touring frame and fork with a longer top tube and shorter seat tube. My problem is I am 5'11 with short legs and a very tall upper body. If I get a frame too small my body hates it. But the bigger frames are harder for my legs to handle. It's sorta hard to explain. Anyway my LBS said what I need is available in aluminum but not steel. So I was thinking a list of custom frame builders would be ideal for others like me. I was given two names and a company so far. Bruce Gordon, Chris Herting, and the nut jobs at Rivendell. I know there have to be more out there. FYI if this gets expensive I will forgo steel and stay with what I have.

since 4/10/2009
    LMAO, this is a hilarious request.

There have to be HUNDREDS of builders out there. I don't think anyone has ever catalogued them all.

You should start with the exhibitors at the North American Handmade Bike Show. This year's show is coming up soon, in Salt Lake City.

NAHBS | North American Handmade Bicycle Show

But that's far from an all-inclusive list. The ones there tend to be larger builders. There tend to be few "one guy in a workshop" type builders at that show. Those guys you're going to have to hunt for.

650b me
    What's your idea of "expensive?" If you're not willing to shell out roughly $2k for a custom frame, better stick with a production frame.

mtbr member
    I agree with what Golden Boy says above. If you still want to go custom or at least investigate, I would start to look around in your neck of the woods to avoid shipping costs. In addition, you may be able to find someone as yet unknown to the masses and that will help with the overall cost of a custom frame. There are a number of frame builders around me in Mpls, MN and the prices and wait times vary drastically.

A couple questions for you, what ETT top tube length and seat tube length are you looking for? Perhaps we could help in finding a frame that would work for you, albeit with some compromise.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Purist
    Womens specific frames immediately come to mind for geo that may be appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defuser View Post
    It's fine. Don't try to categorize everything. Except e-bikes, those fall firmly into the "suck" category.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    Womens specific frames immediately come to mind for geo that may be appropriate.
    Women have longer legs and shorter torsos, therefore I think this might actually be worse, from a geometry perspective.

I'm 5'11 with a 29.5 inseam. I have the same issue. I think you might be overanalyzing your situation. I have steel, aluminum and carbon bikes. To me, they only differ in geometry.

I buy medium frames (17-18" or 54cm, although I could get by with a large), and adjust the seat and handlebar to compensate.

Good luck.

And don't buy a women's bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Just call Kent Ericksen he will build what ever you want.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Keep these names coming....I am making a list

mtbr member
    A-train cycles, Peacock Groove, Clockwork, Waltworks, Black Ship, Prairie Crow, Mike? Pofahl, Bob Brown, Todd Wojcik, etc...

Oh, here's a list by state/country, some probably have a preference for road...

Custom Frame Builders List by State/Country - The Paceline Forum
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Custom is great but have you looked at Soma Fab and Gunnar?

Riding slowly since 1977.