mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Would like hybrid/comfort frame advice

Hello friends,

I'm currently riding a mid 90's Gary Fisher Mt. Tam build, and have realized that to get the geometry I want for commuting, I will need a hybrid/comfort frame. I am unfortunately not into the build scene as much as I was back in the 90's, and could use your advice on which frame (or complete bike) to get. As background, I suffer from a herniated disc, and so comfort is a priority.

In addition to comfort, I would prefer to be able to re-use standard XC components that are already on my current build: 27.2mm seatpost, 1-1/8" threadless headset, 26" wheels (although I'm ok with building new 700c wheels if need be), Shimano UN71 bottom bracket (at least I think it's that), IS mount disc brakes. Much of the fun for me is the build, but I am not against getting a new bike outright.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Why don't you just get a "high-rise" stem? Does it still use a quill type stem. Your current bike is better than just about any comfort/hybrid...IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've replaced everything that can affect geometry: stem, bars, fork, seatpost, saddle position. Still no good. The main issue is the top tube length, methinks.

It's about showing up.
    I commute on a Spec. Sirrus with carbon fork and carbon seatstays. I set it up exactly like my Bontrager Racelite which makes handling awesome. A very comfortable, quick, ride with 105 components, sorta LX/Deore, works perfectly but I keep it well tuned. (Drivetrain demands are much less ciritical on the road vs. dirt.)

I changed to a Carbon flatbar and quality Ergon grips. I wouldn't mind going with a carbon crank, seatpost, and some really fine wheels because teh frame deserves it, but as a it is a commuter I don't want to invest too much in it. There is so much theft exposure, even if you are careful, with communting. Sure it isn't my Roubaix or my Bontrager but I do like this bike. The v-brakes are superior to those on the Roubaix as well. Once you go to full carbon (which would be sweet) the frame cannot handle the stress of v-brakes.
    I don't rattle.