mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Is this worth restoring? GT Timberline AnaTomika

I have been wanting a new bike since my Specialized was stolen 2 years ago and now that my boys are old enough to ride with me without training wheels, I thought it would be a good time to get one. I came across this one today at a yard sale and picked it up for $5. It will need some new tires, possibly brakes, hand grips and serious derusting of the chain and some other small parts. Being in WA state and it being outside it is also covered in a green film. My question is, is it worth putting the time and money into getting it back to its glory? Also I keep reading about these bikes being more of a woman's bike, is this correct? I am 5' 10" and about 180 lbs.

Is this worth restoring? GT Timberline AnaTomika-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If it gets you out on the trail I say do it. You already have it. I wouldn't spend more than $100 restoring it though. You can usually find Kenda Nevegals/small block 8/slant 6 for around $30 each on sale. Not sure what tires fit your area the best. Cables will run around $5 each for SS. A new chain should be around $20. These are online prices... the LBS will be considerably more but can give you insight on what should be replaced and what tires work best for your area. I would ditch the pedal straps... too dangerous in my opinion.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thank you, I will definitely be putting some time and a little money into this one. I need/want to get back out there. Thanks