mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Woodstock bikes - advice?

Hey all -

new to the forum. I used to be a huge biker back in high school and college, but havent done any biking in a long long time. I have decided to get back into the game, and obviously need a new bike. My old bike was a GT of some sort, with mostly XT components, and a rock shock judy fork. After doing some research, I have come across Woodstock Bikes (www.woodstock.com) - I was wondering if anyone has heard of them, has one of their bikes, etc... Also, does anyone have any suggestions on bokes in the $700 range? I guess I am just a noob all over again. I dont even really know what are considered good component parts anymore (example: Is XT and XTR still considered the premium, or are there other comparable pieces, etc). Someone help me out as I want to get back in the game asap!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I suppose I should add that I am looking for a hardtail, XT parts (or comparable), and disc breaks all for about 700. Is that even doable?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    XT and XTR are still the premium Shimano components. In the last 5 years or so, SRAM has come in and taken up a good bit of marketshare from Shimano. SRAM's top two tiers are X.9 and X.0, I suppose roughly comparable to XT and XTR. There's a good deal of argument in the forums as to which of the S's are better, but in my experience both work well.

It may be difficult to find a full XT/X.9 bike in the $700's. Maybe your LBS will have an older model they're looking to clear out. If you're looking at 08 models, you'll probably have to settle for some lower end shifters and front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    so is the SRAM .7 comparable to the Shimano LX? I suppose that would make sense. Of course I am willing to compromise on the components, and would certainly buy the right bike with a mix of XT/.9 and LX/.7. Like I said above, the Woodstock looks like a pretty decent ride, although I do not think it has any XT comparable parts. Any suggestions of what manufacturer and/or models I should be looking at?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yes, X.7 would be comparable to LX. I think the Woodstock represents a good deal, but there's not a lot of reviews or feedback on them. Maybe a Woodstock owner will chime in.

I would go to several bike stores and check out what they have. imo, hardtails in this price range are largely similar between makes, making recommendations difficult. Where they will differ is how they size their frames, i.e. a medium Trek may not fit the same as a medium Cannondale, so this is where a test ride is going to come in handy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    yeah i know i def have to go to shops and try some things out. im like a child, i just want to do it NOW! I really miss the sport, and it is long past due.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Don't worry, I know what you mean. Welcome back to the fold.

ay Diablo!
    Like what was mentioned check out your local bike shops for older models on close out.

It sounds like you do not mind mail order bikes, like woodstock bikes (http://www.woodstockbikes.com/)
    Also check out:

Bikes direct
    http://bikesdirect.com/products/mountain_bikes.htm

Ibex bikes
    http://ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Category_Hardtail-MTB.html

I've bought six bikes from mail order shops in the past with good luck .Non from the above mentioned sites. So do not know how they are, but they seem to offer good value for the components. You have to do all your homework upfront, and know how to work on your bike (at least how to adjust brakes/derailleurs). But can save a bit of money this way, and still get good components.

Bunk
    Last edited by farmboybunk; 04-21-2008 at 03:29 PM.
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just bought a woodstock 505, 19". Nice ride. You need to make some adjustments when you get it, normal stuff, brakes, shocks but everything went together well. The SRAM components are great. I have put about 150KM on the bike. It is a pretty aggressive geometry with a long top tube length so if you have a short torso this might be something to consider. You are really layed out on this bike when you ride it. Overall I am really happy with the bike and it was a great value.