mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Women's frame for a guy?

Looking for my first FS bike. I'm 5'5", 128lbs soaking wet and a guy.
    I test rode a Specialized Women's Myka FSR Comp in a medium.
    The shop didn't have a men's version so I took it for a spin.
    I've ridden a Giant Trance X4 in a men's small, and so far the women's specialized
    fits me better. I see the front and rear suspensions have less travel
    on the women's bike but since I don't weigh much, I don't think this should
    be an issue. Are there any reasons I shouldn't go for this bike?
    The shop has a good end of season deal. At 50 years of age, I won't
    have a problem with ribbing from my buddies.

mtbr member
    They bikes are exactly the same, different colors thats it. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...eid=4201Womans http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...47483&eid=4818

lol even the so called Mens Myka comes with a Womans Saddle, and all the info on the pages says the bike is for "female riders". Is the Myka a woman only bike? either way the bike looks fine, for a man or a woman.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    As long as it is not pink.

Supposedly women specific bikes have shorter top tubes, shorter stems, shorter brake lever reach and wider saddles. I see that Myka comes in brown, silver and white. I don't see these colors as women specific.

mtbr member
    There is no "Men's specific" Myka. The FSRxc is the "Men's" version of it, and has a Rival saddle. Don't let the ugly (to me who likes pink) colors this season trick you into thinking that it's for men. Girls (except me) apparently like to ride bikes that aren't covered in flowers and butterflies and pink streamers, too.

That being said, if the Myka works for you, go for it. older guy is right about the geometry being a bit different, but then again, so is every human being. I think the same should hold true for men that holds true for women: ride whichever bike fits you, whether it's a men's or a woman's. Plus, no one's going to be able to tell the difference between the Myka and the FSRxc unless they know the colors or get close enough to see the little bitty "Myka" on the frame...which can be covered up by a strategically placed sticker.
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I was actually just considering the same thing. I saw an 18" Rocky Mountain womans bike that looked nice.