mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Will this fork fit my bike?

I have a Mongoose Tyax Comp 2011, but the fork (which was better than nothing but never great) has finally locked up and died, so I need a new fork. I've been looking at a RockShox Recon Silver TK Solo Air fork to replace it but I'm not sure if it will fit on my bike.

The main differences seem to be the steerer (new one is 1.5", I think the old one was 1 1/8"), and the new one is 120mm travel rather than 100mm.

I've tried the manuals and various websites but I'm just not sure what numbers I need to be looking at or comparing. Will this fork fit on my frame? will i need to buy any other bits to fit it on? will I need to cut anything?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hi, from experience take the advice you receive on this with a grain of salt and be absolutly sure that it will fit or that you can get a refund. I bought a fork using the "expert" advice I found on this forum last year and it didn't fit.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It will not fit. There, that was easy, and good advice!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    That's a shame, thanks dru. I think rockshox do make a 1 1/8" version but nowhere is selling it as cheap as that one in the link.

Good advice trucha - I always take internet advice in the context of not really knowing its source

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Look on ebay for a nice used one on the cheap. Best value you can get. You can probably find an older Reba or Sid being sold for cheap. Make sure that the steer tube is long enough and that it is the same format as your current bike, straight 1 & 1/8, 1 & 1/8 to 1.5 tapered, thru axle vs quick release, etc. you're best to take the bike to a shop and confirm all the variables since you will probably need them to do some installation unless you're ok with doing that on your own. The crown race will need to be pulled from your current fork and slapped onto the new one. If the steer tube on the new fork is too long they can add spacers for you or simply trim it down to fit.

Just keep in mind that they cannot make the steer tube longer so confirm before you buy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Rockshox Recon Silver TK does come in 1 1/8 but only for 80mm/100mm version and is coil only, the 120mm run air and 1.5.
    cheapest right now got to be this Rockshox Recon Silver TK Crown Lockout 2013 | Rockshox Suspension Forks | Merlin Cycles

mtbr member

Re: Will this fork fit my bike?

I just replaced a suntour with a rock shox tk32 100mm and could not be more pleased for the price. Brought new life to my outdated old bike.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner66 View Post
    I just replaced a suntour with a rock shox XC32 TK 100mm
    preetty much the same fork compare to Recon silver coil TK and yes they're basically the old Tora which was proven to be great value

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Maybe the 1.5 fork was from Bikewagon since they funnel out a lot of Cannondale parts. Good advice --- won't fit.