Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Whyte E120 Team equivalent build

Hi, I was thinking about getting a Whyte E120 Team.

Have demo-ed the XT which I liked a lot. However, it was a medium and I think I need a small and wanted to go for the E120Team option.

http://www.whytebikes.com/2008/bike.php?ModNo=8E120Team

My problem is that you can get the frame but not the complete bike.

So... my question is that if you are getting the frame and getting it built up what would you change from the E120 Teams spec???

My budget is approx. £4K ($8K USD) but could stretch to £4.5K.

The type of riding I do is a combo of Cross Country and Downhill. I ride my bike at least 4 -5 days a week including to work 3 days a week so it has to be usable and enjoyable to ride.

I am 36yrs old, weigh 88kg and I am 5'8" tall. I am also reasonably hard on gear

I want to use the Local Bike Shop as long as they can do me a reasonable deal.

People are welcome to offer an alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources?

Thanks in advance

Nick

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    That's a nice looking bike. Like they said, it's pretty much an "ultimate wish list spec". Personally I like the UST system, so I'd change to UST rim like the Mavic 819. Heck your budget can probably handle it, go for Chris King hubs too. Also a Crank Bros. Joplin seatpost would be really nice to have.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]What would I change about the spec? all of the kit on there is solid stuff that will perform great but the rear Hope hub would make too much noise for me so Iíd probably use XTR hubs, the Fizik Gobi saddle is bloody uncomfortable so Iíd swap that for a Charge Spoon Ti but that personal preference and you may find it perfectly comfortable. I would rather have Conty Mountain King 2.2 Protection tires rather than those and the brakes, purely because I have no experience with Hope I would put Hayes Strokerís on there.

Try to get the 15mm through axle system on the front which I believe fits XTR hubs among others and will go nicely with the Big Gripper rear dropouts.

Apart from those things you may want to look at I think the spec is pretty much perfect, as is the bike, I donít think there are many other bikes that even come close to that, possibly the Ibis Mojo but there is no point splitting hairs cos neither will win, so go get to work on the build.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks, great input.
    Would you stay with the specified fork or go for the 2009 specification fork whick is a fox f120 RLC Remote L/Out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whakamahi kid
    Thanks, great input.
    Would you stay with the specified fork or go for the 2009 specification fork whick is a fox f120 RLC Remote L/Out?
    [SIZE=2]I’ve never found a use for a lockout on the front, the remote lockout will just make the bike look too busy with cables everywhere, I think the 15mm through axle on the 09’s offers a genuine improvement in stiffness but if your not racing I don’t think a remote lockout is much use. Someone said the RL comes as standard so you might get in anyway but not if it’s optional.

The Whyte climbs very well anyway but the new 09 Fox Talas has new internals. Previously the feel of the fork wasn’t as good as the Float or F-series but with the new internals and some simplified parts if feels and rides much better so is a good alternative to the F120.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cool, would the Fox talas 09 be your fork of preference then for this type of set up???

mtbr member
    Cool, would the Fox talas 09 be your fork of preference then for this type of set up???
    [SIZE=2]Iím not sure, I didnít spend long enough on the E120 to really know whether it needed it or not, bikes like Giantís Trance X do need it because the head angle is a bit steep so you want a higher fork for down hill that can be reduced for uphill.

It really depends whether you think it would benefit from an adjustable fork, it probably rides great with 120 so you may not need it but I'm a sucker for this kinda stuff so it would be the fork I'd put on their.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    bike is getting lots of xtr, what do you think, xtr brakes or formula?

mtbr member
    bike is getting lots of xtr, what do you think, xtr brakes or formula?
    [SIZE=2]What model of Formula brakes? Iíd go with Formula, I mean the brake reviews in magazines speak for themselves and they live up to that reputation as the best when riding them.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    oro bianco http://www.formulabrakeusa.com/?page_id=174
    a bit more bling

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Yeah get those, much better than XTR and the polished finish looks really nice IMO.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    will put up a picture when it is finished

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thinking about a set of these...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You're following a very similar path to my E120 build. My frame only deal had a lot of XTR but mixed in the following:

Formula The One brakes
    Mavic Crossmax ST wheels
    Maverick speedball (non-remote) seatpost (now Crank Bros joplin)
    Rockshox Revelation Dual Air poploc with Push Factory Tune.
    FSA K-Force light tripe chainset and BB
    Thomson Elite X4 stem
    Easton Monkeylite XC bars
    Lizard skin Moab lock-on grips
    Specialized Phenom SL saddle
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 UST

Out of that lot, the heavy components are:
    ... the brakes
    ... the seatpost
    ... the fork (compared to a Fox F120 RLC)

This resulted in a build weight of 27.5 lbs for a large frame (worth noting that the medium is only 10g lighter than the large). This is a full built weight with XTR SPD pedals.

Out of the total build i would not be without the brakes and the fork is fantastic. I've got a few more misgivings about the seatpost. It is fantastic to use, but it does tend to slip on the saddle angle slightly.

I didn't get on with the original tune on the shock and had mine sorted out by TFTuned. This transformed the bike. I would budget for it from new if the frame you get has the "high" compression tune on the RP23 shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    more food for thought...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I should point out that the Mavic Crossmax rear wheel is not compatible with the Whyte Big Gripper dropouts. I had to get some spacers machined up to get the wheel to fit.

... and ...

... you know you want to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are you happy with the bike frame? it got slated by MBR recently... I have demo-ed the XT version and loved it for xc /single track / mud/ etc plus riding bomb craters / bowls/ steps & stairs etc which is my sort of local riding but I think it should be alright for a bit of DH

mtbr member
    Are you happy with the bike frame? it got slated by MBR recently... I have demo-ed the XT version and loved it for xc /single track / mud/ etc plus riding bomb craters / bowls/ steps & stairs etc which is my sort of local riding but I think it should be alright for a bit of DH
    [SIZE=2]Mbr was unnecessarily harsh to the Mount Vision and Whyte E120 in tests, I can assure you the Stumpy did not deserve to win. Mbuk did a much fairer test of the E120 by a much more experienced tester and WMB gave the Mount Vision the bike of the year award with a huge test group.

As for those cranks, firstly have you checked to see if theyíre available yet? None else seems to have themÖalso check if theyíre compatible with any other BBís, the test you took that pic from had no problems and that maybe because itís a new design but Race Face BBís have a notoriously short life span and poor sealing. They will probably work great but Iíd rather have the option of another BB.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Have seen them in the flesh, they look pretty trick
    I will find out about the bottom bracket, I think they are xtr compatible

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The frame is fine. MBR seems to be a magazine where you have to read between the lines hugely to find out what the hell they are on about. The "dream machines" test slated the geometry claiming the Whyte was too short in the cockpit. It is fair enough that if you buy a bike that doesn't fit you it isn't going to work for you. Normally they slate Specialized for having such a low bottom bracket that you get pedal strikes the whole time. They seemed to dislike the Whyte as being too high with a BB height all of 1/2 an inch higher than Specialized. The Whyte is a short bike. The E5 before it also had a tendency to put your weight very much over the back wheel. You can do some fine tuning with saddle position and stem length. Going with the Maverick seatpost means I have some setback on the post - seems to work well for me but I'm at the opposite end of the scale at 6'2" and riding a large. When you get it right you have a very responsive bike.

I've ridden the bike on my local patch of the North Downs as well as Afan and the Quantocks. It was fantastic at Afan - did Whites Level twice including the black section as well as the Wall and Penhydd. Spent last weekend on the Quantocks in company with a rider on a S-Works Carbon Stumpy FSR (which won top marks in the MBR test). I had lots of fun teasing him that I only had an 8 out of 10 bike.

I haven't seen a bad review for anything Specialized in MBR for a while - is it unfair to presume that they must have taken out a big advertising contract?

The only mitigating factor is that I didn't get on well with the bike with the original RP23 tune. I've gone with Push modification of the shock and it is now fantastic. I'd categorise the original shock as being "wrong". ATB Sales were very good in supplying a new shock through my local bike store to try and solve the problem, but the replacement rode exactly the same as the original. In the end it went off to TFTuned and came back transformed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm
    I haven't seen a bad review for anything Specialized in MBR for a while - is it unfair to presume that they must have taken out a big advertising contract?
    [SIZE=2]I doubt it, Giant always advertises in there, sometimes more than once and double page spreads and Mbr continues to be unfairly biased against Giant bikes.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Fair enough.

What did you think of them spending so much of the dream machines article telling us that 120mm travel is a complete nonsense because 140mm is better? Seemed to me to be a bit dogmatic to tell us that you need a certain amount of travel to do a certain type of riding and not concentrate on the bikes' capabilities with objectivity.

FWIW, my own experience of the Specialized and E120 also led me to buying the E120. The E120 has a tremendously solid feel about it. The carbon stumpy (and especially the S120 fork) didn't give me that feeling. TBH, the E120 isn't all that light. The frame and shock weighed in at 3010g (6.6lbs). It is certainly a bike that has given me a lot of confidence on the trail.

Despite this, here is a cut and paste from the owner's manual:
    Designed and tested for the following use:
    The Whyte E-120 has been designed for typical XC use. It has not been designed for extreme
    downhill riding or free riding. The E-120 is in compliance with BS-EN 14766:2005
    Last edited by petercarm; 08-29-2008 at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I agree, anyone who can spend £4K on a xc bike can spend extra £££'s on a DH bike. I do a lot of fly fishing, if you want to catch small UK trout you need a different rod than you use for NZ trout. Does not matter how expensive the rod, is my 2c

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Yeah they say 140mm travel is best and yet they did a test in the previous issue to find out what the optimum travel is and came up with 120mm. That test to find the optimum travel was complete rubbish anyway because you simply can’t compare the travel on 3 completely different bikes with different suspension like a Kona faux bar, Spesh Horst link and Giant Maestro, it should have been 3 of the same suspension at least seeing as how they’re testing travel. I’ve never felt travel makes as much difference as how well built a bike is and its geometry.

Quad link bikes are pretty stiff and yours looks solid, you get quite a bit of rear triangle waggle on Stumpy’s which is a bit annoying.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

here we go

Frame E120 small
    Everything including pedals xtr apart from...
    Fox F120 RLC 2009 v.
    Hope headset
    Thompson seat post and stem
    Easton monkeylite bars
    SDG Bel Air RL Ti seat (snow cammo)
    Grips, Bonty Earl Lock Ons
    Brakes Formula Oro Bianco
    Race Face Next Carbon crank, chain rings, crank bolt
    SRAM PC991 Hollow Chain
    Conti Mt King pro 2.2 tyres

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast