mtbr member
    May 2009

Why are the Raleighs so ummm... odd

i have a brand new '09 mojave 4.0 that i got as a trade for some work. and i can't ride the fuggin thing!
    the bars have a bend in them that makes my wrists sore as hell... they point foreward instead of back like everyone else's bars
    the saddle has no tilt adjustment, so it's pointing slightly downward and i start to slip off somtimes.
    the seatpost twists in the seattube no matter how tight you tighten the clamp, and the fact that it uses a small seattube means it's a bit harder to find a different one to use(at least for me).
    the steering is twitchy as hell, i dunno if it's a function of a steep headtube or short bars or the stem.

how the heck can i fix it?

AZ
    banned
    Two choises , change all the parts that you have issues with or sell it and get something you like .

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The bike is kind of low end, so you can't expect too much from it. I don't see how there can't be any adjustment for the seat, I have never seen a bike that didn't have any type of adjustement for seat angle. The head angle is 71, which is normal for a XC hardtail. The stems look pretty short for each size, so maybe a longer stem will slow the steering down for you.

As far as fixes, a new seatpost, clamp and bars will fix all your problems fast.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

I'm SUCH a square....
    OK, look at the fork...is the brake arch to the front or rear? Seeing as how it's an REI bike, I'd easily believe it was assembled wrong, as in fork turned backward when bar/stem installed. When I saw a Target ad with a bike in it, WITH THE FORK BACKWARDS, I almost shat myself!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    REI bike? the fork is deffinatly installed properly

mtbr member
    May 2009
    REI bike? the fork is deffinatly installed properly

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler
    OK, look at the fork...is the brake arch to the front or rear? Seeing as how it's an REI bike, I'd easily believe it was assembled wrong, as in fork turned backward when bar/stem installed. When I saw a Target ad with a bike in it, WITH THE FORK BACKWARDS, I almost shat myself!

While I'd never buy a bike for myself at REI-- the ones in my area don't cover alot of high-end 29ers--- comparing them to a Target build is shady in my opinion... I visit the REIs in the Seattle area on a regular basis (love looking at all the cool toys) I have never seen a "bad" build on their floors. The times I've talked to their bike tech guys they have known their brands and the stuff they sell.

Also, I'd advise against looking at the brake arch first to look for a misbuild-- because there are more then a few forks out there that run reverse arches-- or in rare cases, arches on both sides of the fork.

To the OP-- you should be able to loosen the bolts connecting the stem to the handlebar and rotate the bar's position to where you like it. You may also have to adjust the break levers and shifter pods to get them into a happy position.
    The seatpost should have one or two allen bolts below where the saddle connects to the seatpost. Loosen those, and you should be able to get the saddle tilt to a comfortable level.

If the bike did originally come from a local REI-- I'd take it back there and see if they can do the adjustments for ya-- they aren't the cheapest, but they usually take care of people. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    nah, didn't come from REI, came from a reputible bike shop, i'm just wondering why it feels so strange.

ride hard take risks
    LBS
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJK
    the bars have a bend in them that makes my wrists sore as hell... they point foreward instead of back like everyone else's bars
    the saddle has no tilt adjustment, so it's pointing slightly downward and i start to slip off somtimes.
    Hi, I work at a place that sells this bike. If the Parts are stock, neither of the above statements should be true. The bars are a standard low rise withabout a 5 degree sweep back, and the seatpost is adjustable, albeit only with the single bolt option.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    wahaha! the "reputible bike shop" the guy told me it was from turns out to be the one thats been screwing with me (they put blue loctite on my seatpost once )

i just found their sticker on the BB covered in gunk while i was washing it

that explains the bars then but i can't figure out how to tilt the saddle! there is one bolt and that just loosens the clamp

MTBR Member
    that explains the bars then but i can't figure out how to tilt the saddle! there is one bolt and that just loosens the clamp
    Loosen that bolt enough to tilt the saddle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    wahaha! the "reputible bike shop" the guy told me it was from turns out to be the one thats been screwing with me (they put blue loctite on my seatpost once )
    There is nothing wrong with using blue locktite on a seatpost to keep it from moving. I personally prefer carbon assembly paste, but loctite is perfectly acceptable. I think you might be best served by getting Zinns book on bike maintenance. I am not trying to be a jerk, but it sounds like you have some things to learn about bikes.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    There is nothing wrong with using blue locktite on a seatpost to keep it from moving. I personally prefer carbon assembly paste, but loctite is perfectly acceptable. I think you might be best served by getting Zinns book on bike maintenance. I am not trying to be a jerk, but it sounds like you have some things to learn about bikes.

How much locktite do you usually apply? Sounds like a mess.
    Also, what happens when the carbon paste you are now using combines with the old locktite? Is it like bondo?
    Lastly, you are building quite an impressive stable of mediocre bikes.

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i've never heard of using loctite on the seatpost! just grease... and it wasn't a little bit either, it was a good half inch band all the way around!
    it took a fair bit of screwing around with a 3 foot pipe to get it off. and i just don't see the need for it! the grease didn't keep the clamp from holding it down.

also, i have loosened the bolt, only thing you can do is move it forward and back.
    it's got teeth on it like on a pivotal BMX seatpost but that just changes where the clamp bites...

mtbr member
    i have a brand new '09 mojave 4.0 that i got as a trade for some work. and i can't ride the fuggin thing!
    Sounds like they are just rotated around 180deg or installed backwards.
    It does have tilt adjustment, I have used the same style post that their website shows. Loosen the main bolt more and you can slide the clamp assembly around the semi-circular foot on the post.
    the seatpost twists in the seattube no matter how tight you tighten the clamp, and the fact that it uses a small seattube means it's a bit harder to find a different one to use(at least for me).
    The Raleigh uses a 27.2mm seatpost, which is the single most common size of seatpost available for mountain bikes. If you think the seatpost needs to be replaced, your bike shop should definitely have a compatible replacement on hand.
    the steering is twitchy as hell, i dunno if it's a function of a steep headtube or short bars or the stem.

how the heck can i fix it?
    Your profile says that you have or had an 08 Rockhopper and according to the websites for both bikes, the Raleigh has the same head angle as the Rockhopper and a longer stem. The handlebars are 20mm narrower on the Raleigh, which does make some difference but not a huge one like you are describing.

Got any pictures of your bike to help? I would strongly suggest taking the bike back to the shop and getting them to explain things in person

Singletrack Slayer
    There is nothing wrong with a Raleigh bike, good brand, value, and quality.
    I think you need to take it to a good shop to have it set up right for you. You just don't seem to understand how to work on bikes very well. I remember your threads and all the crazy stuff you have posted about your Specialized Rockhopper. So quit dicking around on here and go do some research and read up on bike maintaince instead of coming on here and looking like a dumbass. Some of the stuff you write is just nonsense. You don't even know how to adjust a freakin seat, handlebars properly.

Rant over