mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Why not at least comment....

I posted requesting advise and have had views but no thoughts. Why not at least comment...express what choice you would make?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Probably because your ads provide almost no info as to what any of the bike's components are, nor is there anything about condition. In a lot of cases $300 wouldn't get the bike serviceable if the fork or other expensive component was cooked.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Perhaps because after reading the title of the thread they thought they could offer advice, but upon reading further they realized that any opinion they may have would not be helpful to you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Was only wanting feedback regarding the bikes and existing components (riders who have had them). At least I am getting attention now. Although seems a bit negative.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Chill man, no one's busting you balls. It's just that what you are asking for is a very tall order. For instance I sold my old Mongoose for $120 to one of my kid's friends, and it works great because I took care of it and it was spec'd with decent components. Our local club sold a $2200 Rocky for $250 because it was 10 years old. These kinds of finds are not easily found.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Pretty chill. I don't get overwhelmed about feelings. All goes as it does. My post taught me a lesson about posting . Thank you for your replies!

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    This can be a weird place sometimes so I'll help you out a bit. At 6' tall you'll likely need a frame in the 17 to 19 inch size. You should only look for bikes with high end components as they tend to last longer. You'd want a minimum of Deore or Sram X7. Look for hardtails. As for forks, marzocchis are particularly durable. Try to buy a bike that is more or less stock. Thieves and hacks will cobble together bikes with parts for all over the place which can cause problems with compatibility. Pay particular attention to wear on the sprockets. It is really easy to see if the teeth are hooked. Inspect the frame very carefully for cracks, especially if it is aluminum. On that subject buy steel.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    So now that I've had the opportunity to read your other post and offer my advice, I will be able to properly answer the questions from this post.
    The reason you had views and not any advice is that you are asking very specific questions about several different bikes under a very broad and general topic headline.
    You ask for advice on a bike purchase, which many people ask every day. The standard response to which is "get the best bike you can afford and drive it into the ground."
    You asked about several used bikes, without posting links to the ads. I can't see the bikes, I don't know what kind of condition they are in. I still may not be able to offer any advice even with the best description. Sometimes people see a topic, take a look to see if their experiences can help you, and if they can't, they move along.
    Just because people are looking, doesn't mean they can help you. I'm sure you didn't want all the people who read your post to say "sorry I've never ridden those bikes, good luck." That wouldn't be helpful to you either. Like I said in the other post, grab a bike, ride the crap out of it, and enjoy it.
    Good luck, and keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Ok great. I guess I asked the question the wrong way. But you have definitely answered it. Since I've never had a FS, any advise on wear to look for on a test ride as a newbie?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Stay away from FS!

If you insist, the shock will be leaking oil, or won't hold air over a short period, or the dampening won't work properly.

The suspension pivots will be worn out and sloppy. The bike will click, squeak, or creak with every pedal stroke. The bike will clunk when hitting bumps.

As for forks, same thing to look for as for shocks.
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Noted. Just thought if I did ride one I might know what to recognize as a deal or just trash.