mtbr member

Why not buy the Turner 5 Spot?

I have been looking for a new bike. I was originally looking only XC and I saw a lot of good reviews on the Turner 5 Spot. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test one. All I have heard is how great they are. Since it doesn't look like I will be able to test one I am looking for help on why I wouldn't want to buy one? I mainly ride trails in Hawaii at least twice a week. I usually get two short xterra style off road races per year, maybe one 24 hour race and another couple hour race here and there. I am also doing a ten day mountain bike trip this fall but that's not normal. I am looking at the 5 Spot with XT components. It comes in about 28 lbs.

Thanks for any help,
    Last edited by eec62; 09-17-2009 at 04:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    if you have the money.. sure?

mtbr member
    More info:
    1. I can spend around $4k
    2. I typically ride XC and local trails. Not really any big jumps or downhill although I jump off a rock or log here and there along the trail.
    3. Looking for full suspension
    4. I am 182 lbs and 6'1"

Thanks
    Last edited by eec62; 09-17-2009 at 06:12 PM.

mtbr member
    I am guessing the "tomsmoto" post is saying high cost.

Any other objective reasons for not getting it. The 5 spots seems weigh more than a XC bike but it seems to be more of an AM bike. I am just wondering if it would be an ok race bike. I have been looking at either the Trek Top Fuel or Trek EX 9.8 as I can get a little discount on those bikes.

Thanks
    Last edited by eec62; 09-17-2009 at 06:13 PM.

ronbo613
    Too expensive. I would love to have a 5 Spot but got a killer bike (Giant Trance X2) for less than the price of a 5 Spot frame.
    I love mountain biking; but I can't spend $5K on a bike. I need food and gas.

I'm more of a dog person
    Get the Spot. I've had mine for a few months now and the DW Link more than makes up for any weight penalty you might have compared to a XC race bike. the thing flat out flys. no amount of me writing about it's benefits will really help you understand how nice of a bike it is. actually test riding a DW Spot may not even convince you as many people have found that you really need to ride it a few times and setup the suspension correctly before you can fully appreciate the capabilities of the DW Link. I just leave u with a fitting quote:
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." - Ferris Bueller

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    turner makes great bikes.. no ones really going to come in and tell you they suck and not to get one or something.

if a 5 inch 5spot fits the type of riding you do (sounds like it), its a solid choice either way. theres a really really high chance you'd not regret it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Man from the trails I saw in HI, and the low number of races you enter, I'd say you'd be lots happier with a burly trail/light AM bike than an XC race bike. I pulled the trigger on my Motolite never having ridden it and don't regret it one bit, I'd be willing to bet based on reviews you'd be very happy with that 5-spot.

David B.

Can Tree Member
    If you like Turners but think that the Spot might be too much bike for your riding conditions, take a look at the Flux.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Thank you to everyone for input. Just a couple things,
    1. I wasn't asking anyone to rip on Turner bikes. They seem to be doing an excellent job and I haven't heard anything bad about their customer service which is awesome in my book. My hats off to them competing with all the large companies. I was just trying to get some outside opinions about if the bike would be suited for what I am doing. I have just been thinking about it too much and wanted some different views, especially since I won't be able to try one, which I know is the best way to test anything.
    2. It's a lot of money to spend on a bike. My first real mountain bike I had for 7 years and I definitely got my money out if it. If I had known I was going to have it that long I would have tried to spend more than the $1000 I spent on it, at the time that was all I had. Now, I have a little more to spend but I am sure in a year when I am looking at having a kid, once again I won't have money to spend.

Thanks again,

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You probably need to clarify a little more the type of riding and type of trails you do (and what are you currently riding). Based on your brief description of your intended use, had you not mentioned the 5-spot, I don't think too many of us would be recommending a 5.5-inch trail bike (primarily because of the occasional racing). 28lb is pretty light for that type of bike, but it is still a 5.5-inch trail bike.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    he said 3-4 races per year.. i wouldnt sweat it, it'll pedal great anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, 3-4 races a year, lots more just riding, plus, have you ever seen the trails in Hawaii? A 5.5 inch travel trail bike is not overkill, more like perfect. Even in races, it wouldn't surprise me if those trails see more influence from the downhills, in terms of finish place, than many other locations.

David B.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I demoed a 5 Spot last Friday on Tiger Mtn in Washington State. A 3 mile fairly steep logging road climb with a super fun rocky/rooty descent with *lots* of mellow jumps (1 to 2 ft). I am a pretty understated fellow, but all I can say is WOW! I couldn't come up with the superlatives needed to describe how amazed I was at the ride.

Net/net:
    - Ate up rocks and roots at high speed - I didn't know that I even had the ability to ride the way I was riding. It just went over stuff and didn't slow down a bit.
    - Immediately felt like an old friend...seemed like it was on my side
    - Very forgiving. Didn't complain when I hit gnarly stuff a little wrong. Never felt like it wanted to punish me for my mistakes.
    - Easy to adjust weight from side to side if off balance at all for for the upcoming line
    - Perfectly balanced. Great rear traction. Easy to lift the front-end up when needed.
    - Climbed with zero bob...didn't know that was possible

Now for the reality check: I am coming off of a tired Klein Palomino that is very unbalanced with very little suspension (weighted to heavily on the front tire and very unforgiving). So it may just be that I was finally riding a descent FS bike???

I want to try a Tracer VPP and feel like I owe it to my pocketbook to try the Giant Trance.