Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Why do my hand get numb?

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Achilles1b 
#1 ·
I have several hard tails about the same size with similar cockpit setup. One of my bikes gives me numb palms and I can't figure out what to adjust to improve the fit The only difference possibly is this bike has more of a riser bar to get my posture where I want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkfss

#4 ·
I battled this a few years back and the culprit was my hydration pack. The shoulder straps were putting pressure on my shoulders and causing hands to go numb.

A trip to rei for an osprey fixed the problem. I was using a wingnut pack. They are cool but didnt work for my setup.

I played with every imaginable adjustment untill a friend suggested i ride without a pack for a few rides. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Check the angle of your brake levers. Loosen the pinch bolts to where the lever will rotate with a little pressure. Sit on the saddle in a riding position and rest your fingers on the brake levers. Rotate them until you feel no pressure in your hands, wrists, fingers, etc. Sometimes it helps to close your eyes so you rely entirely on feel. It may also be a slight reach adjustment. Play with the rotation of the handlebars. Check your saddle pitch and distance from the bars. Sometimes a very slight down angle on the seat or a seat that is slightly too far or close on the rails can cause this by affecting how you reach the handlebars. Change one thing at a time and test it.

#6 ·
maybe you can try to rotate your riser bars so that you get the pressure off the spot on your hands that is causing the discomfort. as well as adjusting your saddle tilt correctly for the new bar position.
the numbness could be due to your riding position / weight placement on the grips & saddle.

#10 ·
My hands go numb on my hardtail, but not on my FS bike. Fit between the two is very similar. I just blamed it on more trail chatter getting to my hands on the hardtail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.