mtbr member
    May 2007

Wheelbase discussion on hardtail XC bike

I am feeling like I want to try a bike with a longer wheelbase. I remember riding trek and specialized bikes that felt longer and at that time I was not comfortable. Now I am feeling the need to actually change the wheelbase instead of just stem length and seat position. My 16.5" cannondale hartail is about 41.5" axle to axle. Just wondering what other HT bikes to look at that may have a longer wheelbase in a medium sized frame.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    There are disadvantages to a longer wheel base you should consider. You'll have less bottom bracket clearance and liking a longer chain stay, which can make climbing less fun.

You might want to consider looking for a bike with a longer top tube rather than focusing on the wheelbase.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidde View Post
    There are disadvantages to a longer wheel base you should consider. You'll have less bottom bracket clearance and liking a longer chain stay, which can make climbing less fun.

You might want to consider looking for a bike with a longer top tube rather than focusing on the wheelbase.
    ^^^This.
    Why do you want a longer wheelbase again? If you want a roomier cockpit Specialized is longer than a compact toptube like Cannondale and Santa Cruz.