Thread: Wheel upgrade

mtbr member
    May 2011

Wheel upgrade

I have a 08? Hardrock that I have used to get into mountian biking, I have been very pleased with it and plan to keep it until I feel I have "grown" out of it with my riding. I have done a few seaarches and have found that a wheel and tire upgrade is a good upgrade. Like most of us, I cant leave well enough alone and would like to do some upgrades to the bike. I am looking to find a set of wheels and tires to upgrade my bike with. Its a hardrock so I dont need the best wheels out there, but ones that would be a good upgrade for the bike. My only requirements are that they can accept disk brakes (which I plan to upgrade to) and they have to be black.

What would you guys recomend and where's a goood place to buy? Dont mind going with a good set of used eaither if theres a comon one to find in classifieds or something. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    There are a lot of choices out there... How much do you weigh and what is your budget? I know you want to upgrade to Discs but these are very hard to beat for price, durability and weight: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/160...eless-2009.htm only 1570g for the pair! I have set with 1K miles on them that have never been trued and my riding weight is over 200 pounds. I also have the 2010 disc brake version but the cheapest that I have found those is for just over $500 with a coupon.

Just to let you know, there is a killer deal on disc brakes here: Magura Marta 69.99 @ Cambria

mtbr member
    May 2011
    As of right now I am right at 200 but should be at 180 by the end of summer. I like those disks, I really like the feel of the hydrolic brakes and that price is great, what am I looking for size wise for those brakes?

Is that the price I will be in for wheels? By the time I spend 400 on wheels another almost 200 on brakes, I could prolly pick up a used stump jumpper for a little bit more.