mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Whats the right bike for me.

im wanting to buy a bike and not sure what to get first i am wanting to spend absolutely no more than 500 and that is pushing it probably more like no more than 400 i want a mountain bike it will be mainly riding on the road though and will mountain bike some when i am ready i am 6 foot and 300 lbs and wanting it to get in shape.

mtbr member
    Welcome to MTBR Flack55. You may want to check out this forum from the beginners corner titled "show me your less than $400 mountain bike"

Post your less than $400 mountain bike

At that price point you are going to find many bikes are spec'd similarly and one probably isn't going to be infinitely better than the other. Your price is plenty high enough to avoid anything in the department store and take a trip to your local bike shop. Fit is important, so I would let the employees set you up with the best bike they have to offer in your price range. Then go ride it!

Also, don't forget to set aside a bit for a helmet, gloves, small emergency repair tools, water bottle... anything you might need on a ride. Riding 5 miles in one direction is pretty easy. Getting a flat and walking the 5 miles back, not so fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think what you need is a rigid bike. At the sub-$500 pricepoint, suspension forks suck and won't hold up to your weight. And, if you're just riding on the road, you don't need suspension anyway. You could go with 26" wheels or 29" wheels, but the 26ers will be cheaper and easier to find. And 26" wheels are stronger.

I think your best bet is to find a local co-op or bike shop that sells used bikes. Look for a refurbished rigid mountain bike from the 80s or 90s in the $100-200 range. That'll set up you way better than a "modern" bike with cheap crappy suspension, cheap crappy disc brakes, and cheap crappy whatever else they put on "entry-level" bikes these days.
    2004 Surly Cross Check
    2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    2011 On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    thanks for the advice I wasnt sure what to get due to the skill level, i would like to go off road but it will be begginer level trails nothing extreme so I dont know if i will even need suspension, I just dont want something from walmart i would rather spend a little bit more and get a better quality bike and one that fits me