Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

What's a Good HT Frame?

I'm thinking about building a new bike. Long story short, mine and my fiance's got jacked from the balcony, and I'm now out of a bike. It sucks because I absolutely love this stuff.
    Anyway, I'm thinking about building a new bike. I'd like to keep it in the $1,500 price range, plus or minus a couple. I'd like to get a decent HT frame for somewhere around $600-$800. I'm not sure what frames fall in the price range, or where to look for frames. I like the Specialized Stumpy HT and the XTC Alliance frames, but not even sure if they sell them as frames only. I'm open to other frames as well, if you have some suggestions. Not in a huge hurry, but I want to get one by the end of December, if its one on sale.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

I'm SUCH a square....
    If you're looking hardtail, you can do a couple good frames for that price! Heck, the Sette Phantom carbon HT is like $500!

Check out Chain Reaction for the Solid Acer HT. Then bling your parts a little more....
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    On One 456? I've been looking at 'em... no personal experience here though. sorry.

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    I hear great things about the Santa Cruz Chameleon, mainly for the fact that you can configure it just about anyway you want...

mtbr member
    It doesnt make any sense to spend $600 or more for a new aluminum frame from the dealer. You can buy a new aluminum frame from either Pricepoint or Leader for around $150 or less. If you need a name brand like the XTC it can be had for around $300 shipped from Asia on Ebay. If you want a Stumpjumper in that price range then I would look at buying the complete used bike off Ebay. You should be able to find something pretty decent for around $800.

I think the most attractive hardtail deal to be had is the carbon fiber hardtails from Pricepoint. The frame is $600 and the complete bike with an LX build is $1600. You might also be able to find an attractive deal on a left over XTC Alliance at a dealer.

mtbr member
    Check out these builds http://www.sette-experience.proboard...read=52&page=1 If it is a little out of budget you should also look at the Impulse Frame http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/191...tain-Frame.htm

If you can bump to 200 more you could save some time and just by this beauty http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/191...ntain-Bike.htm I dare you to price out the parts, you will be amazed how much money you will save.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hmmm, $800 for a frame and a lot of time in your hands.

I'll consider a used Titanium maybe on Ebay, just stick with the name brands - Merlin - Litespeed, Dean, etc.. Be wary that really old ones don't have disc tabs and may have 1" head tube diameter for older forks.

mtbr member
    I'm going to +1 on the Sette carbon frames. I've been thinking about them for my next build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I like the Sette carbon frames too,pretty cool.

Look at the Ventana El Chiquillo and the Chumba HX1 if you want something Special.I have the El Chiquillo and it's a beautiful frame and the HX1 looks way cool also.

http://www.bikebling.com/Chumba-HX1-...-hx1-frame.htm

http://www.chumbaracing.com/hx1_frames.shtml

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mo...illo-1386.html

http://www.ventanausa.com/frame_elchiquillo.html

Using SLX level components you should be able to put one together close to your price range.The Vetana goes for $900 and the Chumba $700
    Last edited by CRed; 08-27-2009 at 09:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Another cheaper,but really nice option...

http://www.ridesoul.com/hooligan.html

They're not us made,but nice none the less.The white looks great!

Another solid choice...

http://www.bikebling.com/ProductDeta...Banshee-Viento
    Last edited by CRed; 08-27-2009 at 10:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Was it ever determined that the Chinese carbon frames on ebay are the same as the Sette frames?

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008
    They look exactly the same, i doubt that is a coincidence. I'd put money on the fact that they are

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I only suggested the Giant and Specialized frames because I have ridden both, and they both felt nice. I particularly liked the XTC Alliance. The ride was sooth, and the bike was quick and handled great. The composite frame just feels great. A LBS does have an '08 available, but its a medium when I need a large. They put a set-back seat post on it, and it fits OK with that, but they weren't willing to come down on the price one bit. Hell, they have an '07 XTC C2 they dropped the price on, which is only $200 more. I can't say as much for the Stumpy because I just got to ride it around a parking lot.
    I really like the idea of those Sette carbon frames. But, has anybody had any experience with them? $600 for a carbon seems almost too good to be true. And what's the difference between the Phantom and the Impulse frames? As far as I can tell, it's about 200 grams. Is that really worth an extra $200? Also, I intend to do some more aggressive trails on occasion (along the lines of Moab or the Rockies). Will a carbon be able to handle it if I wipe out, or are carbon frames too fragile? I put a couple of small dings in my previous bike, and I'm afraid the same sort of crash would trash a carbon frame. If not, I'd go for that.
    I don't know much about the Chumbas or Ventanas? How do those bikes ride?
    And finally, what kind of warranties do these frames have? New frames are my main pick because I know nobody has trashed it before me, and because I'll have a bit of a warranty if I do something stupid. If I buy used, most warranties don't carry over.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    As far as the Sette carbon frames go 200 grams is no big deal,but I prefer the subdued graphics on the more expensive one so it would be worth it to me.Carbon is pretty tough stuff so I doubt you'll trash a carbon frame that easily and if you notice most companies offer a high end carbon bike.I believe the Sette's have a 5 year warranty?

If you want to find out more about the Ventana and Chumba frames go to their manufacturer threads and ask them.I have not been able to get my El Chiquillo built yet as I'm waiting on a part,but I'm excited about it.I have nothing against Chinese or Taiwanese frames,but I was able to get the Ventatna lightly used for about half price and there's something special about frames handmade in the US using US materials sourced from US companies.New frames are always a better choice then used because you never know how the previous owner treated his frame and whether it's safe or not.

I really like the Souls Cycles Hooligan,it's a beautiful frame and was on my short list of frames.Search for them and you'll find that people love theirs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Another thing I forgot to mention about Ventana is their CS,it's excellent!They are a very small company only building 600-800 frames a year across their entire product line including custom and they take care of their customers.They have a good trade in policy and if you break a frame or want a new paint job they're very resonable with their refurb work.You can call them and get a real person on the phone and they are nice to talk to,I've called them up because I needed new stickers for mine and it was great.Go to the Ventana forums on here and read the threads and you'll see what I mean.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRider08
    And finally, what kind of warranties do these frames have? New frames are my main pick because I know nobody has trashed it before me, and because I'll have a bit of a warranty if I do something stupid. If I buy used, most warranties don't carry over.
    Most bike companies offer a 3 year or what they call limited life time warranty. If you were to break a frame in 3.5 years and it had a 3 year warranty odds are you could contact the manufacture and they would work something out with you to lock you in as a faithful owner. A limited or so called life time warranty means they will work something out with you as a replacement because that model is discontinued. I wouldnt worry about the warranty as much as which one is going to work for you best.

NS Cycles.

http://www.treefortbikes.com/338_333...e-2-Frame.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ok, so I've narrowed it down.

My top pick would be the Sette Impulse. But, I'd like to know if anyone has had experiences with these frames. I just don't know enough about them. I would check out the Sette forums, but it seems like those would be biased opinions.

Other than that, I'm a bit tied between the Soul frame mentioned above, and a frame available at an LBS. They have an '06 or '07 XTC frame for $300. I don't know the specs on it, unless it's the same as the current XTC line.

I'd go with the Chumba or Ventana, but I've dropped my price a little to around $500 or $600.

So, any opinions? What'd you go with? Cheaper frame, and better parts, or better frame, and slightly cheaper parts? I'm still aiming for SLX parts, but the extra $100-$200 could get me an XT rear d, which would be nice. Of the two non-carbons, what would you go with?

ride hard take risks

I'd go with the Chumba or Ventana, but I've dropped my price a little to around $500 or $600.

So, any opinions? What'd you go with? Cheaper frame, and better parts, or better frame, and slightly cheaper parts? I'm still aiming for SLX parts, but the extra $100-$200 could get me an XT rear d, which would be nice. Of the two non-carbons, what would you go with?
    NS Surge

http://www.ns-bikes.com/
    Formotion Products

mbtr member
    whoa whoa whoa....we need to back up the train, load the passengers, check the water levels, and find the conductor before we can start spouting off frames. The frame is the soul of the bike, you can't just list the one you like the .jpg of online and suggest it.

The reason to build up a frame is because you know what you want in a bike and the off-the-shelf bikes don't have that. Pretty common, every manufacturer is making almost the same hardtail for 1500$, but that's because that's what most people want. It's gonna be the better value and less of a hassle to go this route.

Ok, so you want something a little niche. Is that a hardtail with a real downhill orientation? Something that kicks ass for jumping? Something that pulls all the stops to make you conquer every technical climb, and get to the top first? A frame that lets you unleash your inner single speed masochist? Are you extra fat, or extra tall? Tell us, and we can come up with a suitable selection of frames, and maybe some of us can tell you what those remaining choices strengths and weaknesses are.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Ok, so I've narrowed it down.

My top pick would be the Sette Impulse. But, I'd like to know if anyone has had experiences with these frames. I just don't know enough about them. I would check out the Sette forums, but it seems like those would be biased opinions.
    If your referring to Sette Experience we try to not be biased, but the majority of the users are fans including myself obviously. There are no Impulse owners on the forum, you could be our first one if you took the plunge. It has a 5 year warranty so you dont have much too lose with buying it. We do have a few Phantom owners, and they all appear to be very happy with there rides.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nah, I think I'll pass on the NS frame. No offense at all, but seems a little bit on the heavy side. I have to admit, steel makes for a decent ride, though.

To answer your questions Scottzg, I plan on doing XC/singletrack riding, and would like to get in to some beginner's races. The trails around here aren't anything wild, as I live in Eastern KS. The biggest issue would be the climbs, as the trails consist of hill after hill, all covered in rocks and roots. The LBS guy tried to convince me to go FS because in his opinion, the trails are rougher here than in CO. I doubt that, but I've never been to CO, so I can't judge for myself. So, in summary, I'd like a XC bike that climbs like a goat, can be used to start racing, and I can still enjoy on everyday rides. I'd also like to be able to take it to trails like CO and Moab, and not worry about it snapping like a twig the first time I have even a minor accident. I just like the carbon frames because they're light, relatively sturdy from what I've recently learned, and absorb ride vibrations better than aluminum. Aluminum would probably be closer to my price range, however.
    As far as parts, I'm strongly looking at SLX parts, with maybe a XT rear d. All XT would be nice, but I think for the price and my level of riding skill, SLX would be perfect. I'm only considering XT for the rear derailleur because it would make for smoother shifting than the SLX, I hear. I'm still thinking about the fork and wheels.

ride hard take risks
    No prob the geo is whacked being more AM/FR/DH all mixed together, allot of funn.

If your planning on racing XC or just ride check out Jamis they offer awesome bang for the buck.

http://jamisbikes.com/usa/index.html
    Formotion Products

mbtr member
    Nah, I think I'll pass on the NS frame. No offense at all, but seems a little bit on the heavy side. I have to admit, steel makes for a decent ride, though.

To answer your questions Scottzg, I plan on doing XC/singletrack riding, and would like to get in to some beginner's races. The trails around here aren't anything wild, as I live in Eastern KS. The biggest issue would be the climbs, as the trails consist of hill after hill, all covered in rocks and roots. The LBS guy tried to convince me to go FS because in his opinion, the trails are rougher here than in CO. I doubt that, but I've never been to CO, so I can't judge for myself. So, in summary, I'd like a XC bike that climbs like a goat, can be used to start racing, and I can still enjoy on everyday rides. I'd also like to be able to take it to trails like CO and Moab, and not worry about it snapping like a twig the first time I have even a minor accident. I just like the carbon frames because they're light, relatively sturdy from what I've recently learned, and absorb ride vibrations better than aluminum. Aluminum would probably be closer to my price range, however.
    As far as parts, I'm strongly looking at SLX parts, with maybe a XT rear d. All XT would be nice, but I think for the price and my level of riding skill, SLX would be perfect. I'm only considering XT for the rear derailleur because it would make for smoother shifting than the SLX, I hear. I'm still thinking about the fork and wheels.

Man, if i were in your shoes i'd probably buy someone's performance hardtail and be happy. Something like a marin nail trail, stumpjumper, cannondale f3, giant xtc alliance... etc etc etc. They're all very similar critters- fast handling, but not race bike nervous, with an emphasis on covering ground easily and efficiently. If you travel to somewhere with long downhills a more slack bike might be better, but you sure wouldn't feel in over your head on one of those.

As a longtime hardtail dork, i agree with your sales guy, in theory. My local trails are pretty smooth, on the whole, and i don't feel any need for full suspension, even though we have some long steep descents. I've been to other places that had much less elevation change, but rougher trails meant riding my hardtail was pretty fatiguing.

My firsthand experience with carbon is that it's great if you don't crash it, judge yourself accordingly. They have the capacity to damp vibrations better than alu, but a bike that really fits properly (test them in dirt if you can, get measured if you can) makes a much bigger difference than the material.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the drivetrain, anything deore or better shifts pretty well,really, but having a good fork, wheelset, and brakes makes a big difference.

You may be a candidate for a 29er.
    Last edited by scottzg; 10-05-2009 at 10:38 PM.

mbtr member

man... that seatpost totally looks like a dog's wiener.

I like that.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg

man... that seatpost totally looks like a dog's wiener.

I like that.
    Are you getting fresh with my post

Woodman SL https://www.bti-usa.com/public/manufacturer/WN/SP
    Formotion Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast