mtbr member
    Jan 2011

New question here. What's a fair price for a Rocky Mountain Cardiac 1997?

Considering buying a Rocky Mountain Cardiac 1997 from some guy I don't know. I know this is a classic bike, and I loved the look of it. BUT I'm not good with technology, and I can't figure out if this bike has spent the last 13 years in someone's garage, or if it's been thrashed. The Rock Shox feel a bit squishy, but I'm not used to front suspension. The chain is rusty. The chain fell off when I shifted to the smallest cog. The tires look good, the saddle looks good (probably new), the brakes work fine. The shifting is a bit clunky but maybe just needs lube? It has a rack which is good, plus a rear light. The frame looks like if you cleaned it, it would look like new. The frame seems to be rock solid.

How do I know if this is a good project bike, or a POS?

Any suggestions/advice out there? What I want is a good bike for light trails.

Picture Unrelated
    I would skip it unless it's like $50. Sounds like it's not been taken care of and it's covered with pretty low end components when it was new. I wouldn't buy it unless you need a bike you can leave outside of stores and not have to lock it.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    thanks. I think I will give it a miss and go for something new. Trying to decide between a 2010 Norco Storm and a 2011 Giant Revel 0. Same price. Better components on the Storm, but I think Giant makes a better bike. Any opinions?

Picture Unrelated
    The components aren't that much better, I'd say go with the one that feels better when you ride them. Assuming they're both your size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    thanks, I guess it will come down to that - going to ride them back to back and make the decision on what feels better. Trying to ignore the fact that I like the looks of the Giant more.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe Cyclist
    Trying to ignore the fact that I like the looks of the Giant more.
    If it comes down to not feeling a difference, that's not the worst reason to get the Giant I can think of. Just go with the one you like more, for whatever reason you come up with. Have you tried any other bike shops with any other brands?