mtbr member

what xc bike, motolite, truth, how much suspension do i need!!!

there are so many damn bikes that all look so appealing, right now i might go with a used ellsworth truth frame or a used titus motlite frame, also considering yeti as-r sl, 575, turner flux and 5 spot and titus racer x. the motolite seems to be a compromise between any xc racer and a 6" trail bike?

My needs:
    I am currently using a 17" moots ybb sl. I want a smooth change from the moots....
    I am 5' 11" 180lbs and have a 34ish inseam. so i think i am a medium for all the bikes?????

i like XC, i want to start racing, but mostly like to just have fun.

I want something pretty light too, because i like to able to nuke up hills.

I want some durability.

I am really thinking the motolite since it is durable, and seems to be a good climber could be fast for some xc racing, and i don't know?? the truth is light and its a good deal, definitely fast for XC. but i have herd so many people who say once you go full suspension you want more, so i think i may want more suspension after i get on a 4" xc race bike? i have my moots ybb sl for short track or smooth xc races.
    Last edited by willymcd; 06-07-2007 at 04:18 PM.

mtbr member
    bump

mtbr member
    Why not take a look at the Specialized Stumpjumper 120 and the Epic Marathon. The Marathon and Stumpjumper would give you a little extra travel plus I think both would be raceworthy. You really cant go wrong with the Specialized four bar suspension. Ellsworth is one of the only companies that is licensed to use it, part of the reason their bikes are so highly rated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by willymcd
    there are so many damn bikes that all look so appealing, right now i might go with a used ellsworth truth frame or a used titus motlite frame, also considering yeti as-r sl, 575, turner flux and 5 spot and titus racer x. the motolite seems to be a compromise between any xc racer and a 6" trail bike?

My needs:
    I am currently using a 17" moots ybb sl. I want a smooth change from the moots....
    I am 5' 11" 180lbs and have a 34ish inseam. so i think i am a medium for all the bikes?????

i like XC, i want to start racing, but mostly like to just have fun.

I want something pretty light too, because i like to able to nuke up hills.

I want some durability.

I am really thinking the motolite since it is durable, and seems to be a good climber could be fast for some xc racing, and i don't know?? the truth is light and its a good deal, definitely fast for XC. but i have herd so many people who say once you go full suspension you want more, so i think i may want more suspension after i get on a 4" xc race bike? i have my moots ybb sl for short track or smooth xc races.
    You should first define what you want to do. Race or Trail ride for fun? You said you like the Motolite because it is a good compromise. Why would you like to compromise? If you race the Motolite, at the back of your mind you'll be thinking you will be faster in the Racer X. Why? Because ithe Motolite is primarily a trial bike while the Racer X is the XC racer. A 5-6 fully will have more material/gussets to take the extra travel, thus heavier. The geometry wont be as quick as a race bike. So if you can choose your weapon, why would you disadvantage yourself?

mtbr member
    yeah that is true, but how durable are the xc racing bikes, like the racer x, truth and as-r sl? i want a frame that will last me some years.

mtbr member
    if you want a good all around bike i would say go 5", you can build it up light and do some racing or more beefy for an aggressive trail rig. the motolite is a great choice can't really go wrong (love mine =), but i would try to grab a ride on a few different bikes in that category and see which one feels best to you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by willymcd
    yeah that is true, but how durable are the xc racing bikes, like the racer x, truth and as-r sl? i want a frame that will last me some years.
    Well they are durable for their intended purpose - XC racing.
    You ride a Moots which means you are familiar with $$$$ frames, give Titus a call and discuss what you need. Maybe they can come up with something like a Ti Moto-Racer.