mtbr member
    Aug 2006

What would you buy for $1000-$1500

My brother in-law is looking into getting his first mountain bike in some time and asked me for advice the other night. He is looking for a XC/Trail bike with full suspension. His budget is obviously not going to afford him to look at the high end stuff but I thought that I would see what others have seen out there. I had great luck myself buying new bikes that were a couple seasons old for a heavy discount. We are in Colorado and looking on Craigslist can boggle my mind sometimes with what people want for heavily abused bikes. I looked on JensonUSA.com and saw this Jamis which does not seem like a bad rig for the price. Does anyone have a take on this guy and maybe know of some other options that bear a closer look?
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp Mountain Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Cross-Country Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I would still buy on craigslist. Craigslist can boggle the mind for the deals you can get on barely ridden bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: What would you buy for $1000-$1500

My buddy was in the same position... I did a fair bit of research. I found that if you were willing to risk an online purchase where you can't ride the bike beforehand, the Jamis seems decent. However, a closeout on a 2011/2012 Fuji Reveal seems to be a ton of bike for the money.

Ultimately, my buddy wanted a bike from a bike shop and wound up with a Giant Trance 3. Great bike with one of the best suspension designs for around $1500. I'd say the fork is the weak point... But standard on low buck full suspensions.

-jm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

T.W.O.
    I'd by the Trance X or Trek Fuel EX if new. Too many good choices on used. Stick with the big brands like Spech, Giant, Trek(newer than 08), Cannondale, Santa Cruz, once he knows he can go as boutique as he wants on the used bikes. Don't really worry about the different designs that much as most big brand would offer a decent ride out of the box. The bike would climb, and descend well, without any noticeable bobbing.

mtbr member

What would you buy for $1000-$1500

I was in the same boat a few years back....I wish I would have taken my buddies advice and just saved up another $1000 and used his extra for a few months....I ended up putting more money into the Kona I bought than it would ever be worth. I saved for awhile and bought the diamondback sortie comp this year. Anyways....I would be careful with craigslist, make sure you know how to identify a bike that had been abused....beyond obvious damage it is pretty easy to shine a turd if you know what I mean.... Bottom brackets, Head bearings, cranks, chain ect...add up quick trust me. If he needs something right away I think you are on the correct path....try finding a local bike shop with a last years model and get a tune up warranty and that will go a long ways if he wants to resell later....just my 2 cents....good luck