mtbr member

What size frame??

I am wanting to buy a new Santa Cruz Heckler but I am torn between which frame size to get!

I am 5'10" 200lbs. The Santa Cruz sizing chart (which doesn't mention anything about weight) puts me in the medium frame (near the top). However, a few reviews that I've read said that you should go with the larger frame for this bike if you're on the border between sizes. Is this true?

If any of you guys were on the border between sizes please let me know which size you went with and how it feels, thanks! Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of going with a larger or smaller frame?

Thanks again for any info, much appreciated!

There's no app for this.

Get the one that

most closely resembles the effective Top Tube length of the bike you ride now. Weight and height are not factors in bike fit primarily; you want to get the cockpit right - the area where you sit to how your hands fall on the bars. Nail that part, and the rest is a breeze.

Too small is impossible to correct, too big can be equally an impossible issue. Take your time and get the fit right.

Jim

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm in the same boat as you. 5'10" on the dot w/o shoes. I guess w/ shoes we would both be more in the muddled middle. Is their size chart w/ or w/o shoes?

I'll let you know what I end up doing. Do the same and good luck.

Argh.

Singletrack Slayer
    Look at TT length. I too am 5'10 and for all mountain like a med frame 23TT; but xc I love a large 19inch frame 24"TT.

mtbr member
    VUCommodores...are you thinking about the Heckler too? The sizing chart for this bike puts 5'10" very top of medium scale and 5'11" very bottom of large. Without shoes I believe.

DavidNeiles...the Heckler's top tube length is right in the middle...23.5"!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTee
    DavidNeiles...the Heckler's top tube length is right in the middle...23.5"!!
    Yes, but what is the ETT of your current bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards the Heckler. It will be my first F/S bike, and although I think I'll be more XC oriented than AM, I like the versatility and the fact that it will be able to gobble most things in its path (thus saving my terrible riding - hopefully).

Singletrack Slayer
    I would go for the 23.5 myself for that bike. I think you will like it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Both of us?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of going with a larger or smaller frame?
    A lot of the differences btwn a larger and smaller frame can be attributed to wheelbase and standover. A smaller frame will feel more nimble and flickable, at the expense of stability. On a small frame, steering through tight switchbacks will be easier, while a larger frame (assuming it's not so large that you can't maneuver your weight around on it) will feel less skittish on fast rocky downhill. Obviously on a larger frame you'll sacrifice some standover clearance.

Singletrack Slayer
    For all mountain you should both like it. But you need to test it out to see. You might need a longer stem or maybe a layback post. Just depends on your liking. And yes i am 5'10" w/ shoes, i am assuming that would be the best way to go by since you don't ride barefoot, I hope!

VUCommodores sounds like you are a hair taller and I can't tell you what is best. I would go with the size Large. That has a 23.5" TT and I think I would go for the Large myself for the heckler, Med is a 22.5" TT, a little tight for me personally. Stand over is pretty high for them; 29.5" for M and 30" for L !!

So big differences between the M and L is 1" TT length and 1" Wheelbase and .5" Standover.

I love my bike(Not a SC) : 19" large has a 24" TT and 28.5" Standover!

mtbr member
    Thanks lyndonchen. That skittish feeling is what I'm trying to get away from. I ride a medium Superlight right now and whenever we start bombing down some fast loose stuff it seems like the front end gets super shaky and twitchy. Hopefully the Heckler's geometry will remedy some of that regardless of what frame size I get?

I was leaning more towards the Large size until you guys reminded me of the standover height....30" on the large Heckler....rats! My Superlight is 28.7" and I (along with the twins) really, really don't want to lose damn near an inch and a half of clearance!

Ahhh what to do, what to do, I'm still not sure! What is clear is that some test riding on both frame sizes is going to be a must.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hopefully the Heckler's geometry will remedy some of that regardless of what frame size I get?
    Yup. The head angle on the Heckler's slacker, and the wheelbase on either the M or L will be longer. Add to that 50% more travel, should make for a biiig difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles
    For all mountain you should both like it. But you need to test it out to see. You might need a longer stem or maybe a layback post. Just depends on your liking. And yes i am 5'10" w/ shoes, i am assuming that would be the best way to go by since you don't ride barefoot, I hope!

VUCommodores sounds like you are a hair taller and I can't tell you what is best. I would go with the size Large. That has a 23.5" TT and I think I would go for the Large myself for the heckler, Med is a 22.5" TT, a little tight for me personally. Stand over is pretty high for them; 29.5" for M and 30" for L !!

So big differences between the M and L is 1" TT length and 1" Wheelbase and .5" Standover.

I love my bike(Not a SC) : 19" large has a 24" TT and 28.5" Standover!
    Wow, thats probably a record...that long of a post and nothing about Diamondback. No "don't go for the Heckler, get a Sortie, or a Mission, or pretty much anything with the word Diamondback on it." I'm proud of you.
    2008 Specialized Pitch Pro

Ride hard, Eat big, DO STUFF!!!

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFahrenheit
    Wow, thats probably a record...that long of a post and nothing about Diamondback. No "don't go for the Heckler, get a Sortie, or a Mission, or pretty much anything with the word Diamondback on it." I'm proud of you.
    Whatever dude , I am not always telling everybody to get a DB. I do like to talk about other things bike related and enjoy helping out others with my knowledge/experience. I used to have a SC Heckler and it is a great bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles
    I am not always telling everybody to get a DB.
    Uh, yeah...you are.
    2008 Specialized Pitch Pro

Ride hard, Eat big, DO STUFF!!!

Singletrack Slayer
    Shut up and get a DB!! LOL

LDH
    mtbr member
    go for the large and fine tune it with a shorter stem.