mtbr member
    Aug 2009

What size frame?

I am 6'2" and I am looking to buy a 29er full suspension bike. I am used to riding a 19" frame on my HT bike. The guy at the bike shop told me that a 17.5" is appropriate. He said that with 29ers you can drop a frame size. This sounds fishy to me because he only a 17.5" 29er in stock. Can someone shed some light on this issue for me? Thanks

Nuts
    I am not sure on 29ers but that doesn't sound right. I have friends that are 5'9" and are on 29ers on 17.5 Fishers and I tried one out and a 17.5 felt good for me and I'm 5'9". Ok I just looked the geo on Fishers anyway and the effective top tubes are the same, but the standover is about 15mm higher on the 29er, it really doesn't seem to matter 29er or not.. Go what is comfortable for you but it seems like a 17.5 is too small for you even in a 29er.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    I am 6'3" and i ride a 22" 29er it is a 09 jamis dakota 29er with 90 mill stem
    29 or nothing. I live on Needles, wating on a cure.

Singletrack Slayer
    I ride a 19" frame on my fs 26"er and a 20" 29er. Both are Large framed Diamondback. I am 5'10"

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Find/measure the effective top tube of your current bike, and buy a bike with the same top tube, or as close to it as possible. Playing with stem length can give you the exact same reach as what you're used to.

Singletrack Slayer
    +1 for TT length. That is the most important length when I look for a new frame. I have a 24" tt on both XC bikes. 23" on my All mountain bike.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by airglo
    I am 6'2" and I am looking to buy a 29er full suspension bike. I am used to riding a 19" frame on my HT bike. The guy at the bike shop told me that a 17.5" is appropriate. He said that with 29ers you can drop a frame size. This sounds fishy to me because he only a 17.5" 29er in stock. Can someone shed some light on this issue for me? Thanks
    You need to ask about the particular frame you are looking at. Forget about seat tube length, go more by tt length, but still, ask around about the specific model you are looking at.