Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What Should I do? Buy a new bike or stick with old?

554 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  hojiman 
#1 ·
I need quick advice! I currently have a 2004 Giant XTC 2, I live in michigan and I am a "weekend warrior" - not hardcore but I love to ride. My friend wants to start riding and he wants to buy mine and I have been wanting a full suspension bike.

I liked two of the bikes I looked at today: 2009 Trek Fuel EX8 for $2,000 out the door and a 2009 Giant Anthem X3 for $1,600.

Should I even get a new bike since I am in michigan and there are no real mountains? Of the two full suspension bikes which one is better? I'm 6' 1'' 190 lbs.

Thanks.

#3 ·
i live in michigan there are no mountains not huge downhill areas... should I really even buy a new bike if I am happy with my Giant XTC 2?

My friend will buy my bike for $650 (is that a fair price) and I can get the Trek Fuel for $2,000 (less the price of my bike it will be 1,350) or I could get the Giant Anthem X3 for $1,600. Do I really need to spend another $1,000+ for a full suspension bike in michigan??

#5 ·
The Trek EX-8 is a pretty good deal at 2k. As far as good deals they come and go all the time. My guess is when the new bikes come out they will be higher priced and there wont be any discounting on the 2010 models for awhile. If you arent sure about spending the money there is always the used market and you could broaden your search to include the Stumpjumper, and Trance along with the EX-8. The Anthem is a little more race oriented than the EX-8 so a better comparison might be the Trance. Heres an example of a pretty decent bike that if you manage to sell the XTC for $650 or so doesnt put you out much money. I wouldnt think an XTC would be worth $650 unless its really new or cost maybe 2k new.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/bik/1286465217.html

#7 ·
Next race, look for the guy on the fully rigid single speed (he's probably pretty quick too).

Then ask him if you need a FS...

Since we've now ruled out that you don't NEED one, decide whether you want one. I think they're pretty neat, but do you?

If you have the $1300 you can part with, and it will provide you with more smiles/happiness than $1300 worth of Beer/Hookers/Blow (joke) then buy accordingly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.