mtbr member
    Jan 2013

What frame should I choose

I would like a frame that is a full suspension 26er that is around $1500. I want it to be pretty light but I know that gets expensive. I plan on building it up with sram xx or xo. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

T.W.O.
    What kind of riding?, new/used? What's your total budget? May be it'd be cheaper to buy complete bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I plan on doing a lot of all mountian riding and trail. My total budget I would like to come in around $2500

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    $2500 for an XX xo build sounds iffy. Look at competitive cyclist. They have some close outs on a bunch of frames. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    What do you think my budget should be?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Your budget should be what you can comfortably afford. My point was that XX or even XO would run almost a grand for brakes, shifters, derailleurs and cassette. This isn't factoring in crankset, fork, wheels and the rest of the components. You'd be better off looking at XT or a mix of XT/SLX or x7/x9. I prefer to put my money into the frame, fork, and wheels. Brakes would be the next item to focus on.

T.W.O.
    A good balance build? My rule of thumb is roughly 3 equal parts of frame, wheel&fork, and drivetrain&brakes.

If funding is lower and must sacrifice one part then it would be the drivetrain. Frame is the most important so spend what you can.

You won't notice much difference between SLX and XTR on a good bike, but regardless of how highend of the drivetrain you have, when you are on a crappy frame you'd know.

Mnigro suggested the competitive cyclist, check out the $2750 ibis mojo sl special blend. It's not xx but definitely kick A$$.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk