Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What does everyone's MTB bike weigh?

14K views 99 replies 79 participants last post by  CupOfJava 
#1 ·
My 1997 Giant Yukon HT weighs in at 31 lbs. That seems high by today's standards.

What does your bike weigh?

#3 · (Edited)
It all depends on what it's spec'ed with, the frame size, and the frame material. i don't think time has all that much to do with it. Really light bikes were and are really expensive to build up. The new stuff is maybe a little lighter but not by that much. Oddly though, I owned a 92 Miyata 10,000 carbon fibre and aluminum bike and it was 30 lbs. It was spec'ed with DX (just below XT). My old Mongoose with a very heavy 22 ''steel frame weighed 28.

My present two bikes weigh about the same because they are steel and very large frames. The Concorde is 22", the frame is definitely over 5 lbs, maybe 6. The El Mar was built up light on purpose to offset the weight of the Alfine drivetrain. It would be 26 lbs with derailleurs. The frame is 24" and the bike at present is 27 1/2 lbs.

If you ride a small frame and it is aluminum you'd have a bike around 25 lbs using parts off of either of my two bikes. I have no idea why my Miyata was so heavy, it was only a 19 inch frame.

Drew

#9 ·
07 BMC Superstroke weighs in at 33.5lbs 6 inch travel
08 Ibex Ignition 32.8 lbs 5 inch travel
09 On One Inbred 31lbs. Hardtail with 5.5 inch fork

All bikes are built up strong with alot of DH/Freeride parts since I tip the scales near 300lbs.
All bikes have SLX cranks, x9 or x0 rear mech and x9 shifters. I try to save weight where I CAN.........but need strong parts like wheels, cranks, stems, bars, seatposts and such.
Any lighter and I'd start breaking alot of parts.

#12 ·
JohnDoe5 said:
Where can I start saving weight on my bike
Don't bother. It takes a concerted effort right from the purchase of a frame to make a bike light. You could do it piecemeal but it would be so expensive you'd essentially end up with almost two bikes worth of parts.

The best thing to do is to replace heavy stuff with light as you break it or wear it out. Saying that, the best place to lose weight on your ride is rims and tires. You'll really notice the loss of rotating mass much more than any other weight you can shed.

Drew

#25 ·
My Mojo SL comes in around 22.5 could shed a few lbs off it but see no reason, as it works great for me, and is lighter than anything I have ever owned.
My FS Mongoose is around 32.7 I think that is about as light as it is going to get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.