mtbr member
    Feb 2011

What do you think of these two bikes.

Hello everyone Im looking at buying my first bike finally ha ha.

Was wondering if i could get the opinions people who know what they are talking about on the bikes. lol my LBS are offering these two bike on sale cause its last yrs model are they any good or am I better off saving a little more for somthing better here they are :

the 29er: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...8&menuItemId=0

26: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...7&menuItemId=0

the 29er he is asking about $469 and the 26 he is asking for $359.99 should I jump on one of these or should I wait. Im talking component/parts is it quality or crap?

Thanks.

It's all about the FSR!
    I had that specific 29er. It was decent. Very entry level but decent enough. What type of riding would you be doing?

It's about showing up.
    What is you skill level?
    How big are you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I am a beginer beginer this is the first mountain bike I used to Race BMX but thats irrelevant. as far as the type of riding, I dont know that either I like single track stuff. no crazy downhill. Im moving to Los Vegas soon so probably just be riding trails in the desert. Thats the only reason I looked at the 29er cause lots of rocks in the desert and the bigger size wheel would help with that no? lol. I mean if its crap then I am patient enough to save up more and wait but id rather play now. as far as how big I am im about 5'11-6'0 ish and 175 lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you can live with the fact that you'll be replacing the whole bike in a year or two, assuming that you get into the sport and due to your BMX background you probably will. Your other option is to keep saving and buy a better of a used bike or bump a level or two on a new bike. For $500, you should be able to pick up a pretty nice used HT that might have some upgrades.

I think what most new mtb'ers don't realize is that the three most important parts on a bike are the frame, wheels and suspension. Brakes being a very close #4. Everything else is either disposable and/or a comfort thing (bar width, stem length, etc.)

In order to get a nice frame, wheels and suspension it is fairly pricey. So the difference between a $900 bike and a $400 bike isn't huge on those major parts. It is the DT components, probably brakes and such that will see an upgrade. However, a bike is defined as the sum of ALL of its parts. So, if you can jump up to the Rockhopper you will notice the difference.