mtbr member

what to do about my old GT LTS bike!!! What to do.

I really like this bike, and I go on the trail daily, so I need something durable. Mountain biking is the only form of exercise which has captivated me into doing it (recently within last six months),Problem is, I think it is a '96 or '97 frame, and the lower frame bushing is squeaking, I have attached a pic. I drench it in chain oil, which reduced the sound about 80%, but it's still there. I cannot seem to locate a retailer that sells a lower bushing for that particular bike, or if they do, they are not sure and I have to pay for it first not knowing if it will fit. Just wondering what my options are to replace this bushing? Do I eventually have to replace the entire frame bc I cannot locate stock bushings? Is it possible a machinist of some sort would be able to make something for me to replace that? If I did decide to replace the frame ( i have invested $$$ in all the extras) would I be able to replace it with any modern mountain bike frame and all the parts would fit into the new frame -- wheels, chain, crankshafts, etc, etc, all go onto any mountain bike frame?
    thanks you so much for your ideas!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what to do about my old GT LTS bike!!! What to do.-lower-bushing.jpg  

mtbr member

pic of my GT LTS

If I cannot find a solution to the bushing problem, I guess I will have no choice but to replace the frame and keep everything else.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what to do about my old GT LTS bike!!! What to do.-bike.jpg  

what to do about my old GT LTS bike!!! What to do.-lower-bushing.jpg  

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Yes Did try that. no response.