Thread: What to buy?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

What to buy?

Currently, I have a 2000 Trek 6500, which has been a great bike for me. But, it is 9 years old, and is starting to show it's age, with some creaks and squeaks, especially when pedaling. I have been assured it is nothing major, but I though perhaps I would sell this and get something new.

I haven't ridden anything yet, but I was looking at a Jamis Trail X2 or X3 and possibly another Trek, although I can't afford a new 6500..maybe something a step below or two from Trek.

Problem is, I haven't heard much about Jamis, and really can't find all that much about them. Some things that I have read, though, is that I would be getting more bang for my buck with the Jamis....True or not?

Additonally, anyone ever sell a bike on Ebay? I want to, but am nervouse, since the person I obviously can't explain the feel of the bike and any noises, or scratches...etc...

ThankS!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMenta23
    Currently, I have a 2000 Trek 6500, which has been a great bike for me. But, it is 9 years old, and is starting to show it's age, with some creaks and squeaks, especially when pedaling. I have been assured it is nothing major, but I though perhaps I would sell this and get something new.
    So long as the frame isn't cracked, those squeaks and creaks can be fixed! And, if it is cracked, Trek has a lifetime warranty on the frame, right?

My advice is to fix / upgrade your current bike rather than buy a new one. I'm sure that's not the answer you wanted to hear, but that's what I would do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You're right, not what I want to hear, but appreciated nonetheless. The reason for wanting to go new was because our second child is on the way, and I figure it might be now or never, or at least now or not for a long time....I'm still debating.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You're right, not what I want to hear, but appreciated nonetheless. The reason for wanting to go new was because our second child is on the way, and I figure it might be now or never, or at least now or not for a long time....I'm still debating.
    The thing is, if you buy new, you should try to get something better than what you have now. Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounded to me like you were going to end up with lesser bike if you were to get a new one.

Put some better wheels on that bike, fix up the bottom bracket where it's creaking - I'm guessing here - and it'll seem like a new bike. Plus, you'll end up with a better bike than you can afford if you were to buy new.

Edit: Another upgrade option is the fork. Not sure what you have on it now, but a better fork will definitely improve the ride quality.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Fork now is Rock Shox Judy ( not sure exactly what model)...you are making perfect sense. I guess the creaking is bothering me, and I'm too cheap to get it fixed (as a tune-up really doesn't do it), but not too cheap to consider a new ride...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Fork now is Rock Shox Judy ( not sure exactly what model)...you are making perfect sense. I guess the creaking is bothering me, and I'm too cheap to get it fixed (as a tune-up really doesn't do it), but not too cheap to consider a new ride...
    So... it creaks when you pedal right?

Does it still creak when you get out of the saddle to pedal?

If the answer to both of these questions is yes, it's something that's almost certainly drivetrain related. It could be something as simple as the BB (bottom bracket) cups needing some grease or the BB spindle / crank arm interface needing some grease. If the BB has been subject to water at some point, then it may need to be replaced. Neither of those repairs are that hard to do, nor should they be overly expensive.

Has the chain ever been replaced? How about the cassette and chainrings? These drivetrain components will wear out if you put enough miles on the bike. (I have to replace my chain every 6-9 months, sometimes sooner.)

If the creaking only happens when you're in the saddle, the repair is easy. You can do it yourself. Just remove the seatpost from the seat tube and give it a good coating of grease. You may also have to loosen the clamp holding the saddle to the seatpost and grease the seat rails too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Right, only when I pedal, and quite honestly, to me, it sounds like it's coming from the left side only, but that just may be my imagination.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Right, only when I pedal, and quite honestly, to me, it sounds like it's coming from the left side only, but that just may be my imagination.
    Hmm, interesting. If it's not your imagination, the fact that it's on the left is good, because that eliminates some of the more expensive stuff on the drive side (right side) of the bike. Could be the left pedal, left crankarm interface, or left BB cup.

Or it could be something else entirely since noises on the bike are sometimes really hard to track down.

But, if it were my bike, I'd focus on the items mentioned above first. I'd also grease the seatpost. It's easy to do and should be done periodically anyway to ensure that the seatpost doesn't seize in the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Have you had your bottom bracket serviced?
    What kind of pedals do you use? have you had the pedals serviced/greased?
    The creak when pedaling might be the bottom bracket bearings or a dry pedal bearing/spindle.

Go to your local bike shop and see what they have around your budget. I bet even if it is a model lower than yours you will still benefit from newer technology considering 9 years worth of improvements.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Maybe I will try to grease the heck out of everything that needs it, and see if it helps. Im a pretty handy person, just not doing anything much with bikes.
    The allure of something new is hard to overcome though.