mtbr member
    Aug 2009

What bike to get with my $700 budget

So I'm looking to get into mtn biking. I'm not going to be a hardcore racer, more of a weekend warrior rider. Ride in Aliso Woods, for those of you familiar with the area. I'm 5'10" 180lbs. I'd be doing both climbing & downhill.

So what should I do if I'm trying to stay within $700 budget. Do I buy "so-so" new or higher end "used"? Someone suggested that I build it, but then I'd have to pay for a shop to put it together for me. I'm no bike expert. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    If you decide you are going to do some racing and are mostly going to be a weekend warrior I would stay with a hardtail with a 17.5 inch to 19 inch frame. If someone tries to get you into a different size or a used full suspension I would probably walkaway. At the price range you are looking and with limited knowledge of bikes I would probably stay away from craiglist. Three of the most popular entry level hardtails that are used as race bikes are the Specialized Rockhopper and Giant XTC along with the Trek 4300-6000. I personally like Performance Bike. I think if you live in a populated area with several bike shops it makes sense to buy one locally rather than the mail order route. Performance Bike can come very close to some of the mail order stuff in overall value. REI is worth checking out. The Novara Ponderosa at $679 would be a good place to start your search. It will be very difficult to find another bike that offers 27 speeds and disc brakes and a decent fork for less than $700

http://www.rei.com/product/776817