mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Weyless XP vs Hollowpoint Expert vs Apogee LX

Looking to spend 1100-1400 on a new F/S bike and have been looking at these three. The HP seems to have the best component set and probably the best value, but it'd be nice to save a couple hundred bucks and go with either the ibex or the XP if it's worth it. I've read plenty of the threads on these bikes, and have so far gathered that Ibex has the best customer service, supergo has the worst, the weyless has durability issues, and the HP can be hard to set up. The Ibex has nicer compenents than the XP and yet shittier suspension? Given the components and prices of these bikes, which is the best value? I have a supergo sort of locally (seattle) so i could probably avoid the shipping nightmares, and customer service issues are annoying but manageble...so i'd like to base my choice purely on the bikes and bikes alone. Any advice from owners of these bikes would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blott
    Looking to spend 1100-1400 on a new F/S bike and have been looking at these three. The HP seems to have the best component set and probably the best value, but it'd be nice to save a couple hundred bucks and go with either the ibex or the XP if it's worth it. I've read plenty of the threads on these bikes, and have so far gathered that Ibex has the best customer service, supergo has the worst, the weyless has durability issues, and the HP can be hard to set up. The Ibex has nicer compenents than the XP and yet shittier suspension? Given the components and prices of these bikes, which is the best value? I have a supergo sort of locally (seattle) so i could probably avoid the shipping nightmares, and customer service issues are annoying but manageble...so i'd like to base my choice purely on the bikes and bikes alone. Any advice from owners of these bikes would be appreciated!

Of the three I would probably recommend the Hollowpoint. It is a very clever suspension design, and from what I have heard setup is not that difficult if you do not make radical changes (ie only make one change at a time).

mtbr member
    Hollowpoint all the way.

I've have spent time on both the XP and the Hollowpoint. Never owned any of these, but spent some time on demo bikes at the vegas show and on friend's bikes.

The Hollowpoint's suspension is better in every way. The suspension action is so smooth and compliant to the small bumps and pedals very well, even out of saddle attacks. There are no braking effects on the suspension. Remember, the Hollowpoint was designed for excellent pedaling via linkage design and it was just fine even before they ran the 5th Elements and Swinger shocks in 04. The 03's with the Fox AVA shocks were just dandy and no need for the change IMO. You owe it to yourself to at least test ride the Hollowpoint. It's hard to describe the suspension action, but it's ooooh so smooth. It's firm when pedaling, yet the slightest little bump will kick the suspension into smooth action.

The XP is a single pivot swingarm design and has inherit problems when compared to something sophisticated like the Hollowpoint. Hard rear braking will limit suspension action and there is pedal feedback. No high tech stable platform shock can erase those traits. But the XP does pedal well with the 5th air shock. I played around with different PSI in both of the 5th Air chambers, but in the end the small bump compliance was not there like the Hollowpoints.

In the end, the XP is still a nice bike, just not as nice riding as the Hollowpoint. The single pivot traits are nothing you can't get used to. I just builit up a bargain closeout KHS 304 frame and have been very happy with it regardless of the so called quirks of the single pivot design.

If I had the dough, I'd get a Hollowpoint.

EDIT:
    Oh I forgot to talk about the Apogee. I don't know much about it other than what's on paper. It looks pretty promising with the Swinger shock and 5" of travel. I think what is the main selling point of the Apogee compared to the XP and HP is that it comes with a lifetime warranty compared to the 5 year on the XP and HP. But the reality with lifetime warranties is that they are only valid while the company is business. How long will Ibex be in biz? A long time I hope, but the bike is tough and you have to weigh the reality of lifetime warranty for a smaller company like Ibex that may or may not survive. Who knows. And will you be keeping any bike for beyond 5 years anyways? In which case the 5 year warranty on the other bikes are just dandy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for all the info, ph. Sounds like the HP is the winner when it comes to frame design, and is obviously the best deal in regards to the base price. My last questions are in regards to the components. I've heard bad things in general about the HFX-9s, namely noise. Nothings drives me crazier than brake noise. Is that something easily dealt with? I guess i could always just buy avid mechanicals if it becomes too big a problem. Also, the Minute is a better fork than the Black Platinum, no? Is it THAT much better? Thanks.

mtbr member
    The OE Black Platinum on the Hollowpoint Expert has SPV, so it rode like a Minute just with the smaller diameter stanchions (30 vs 32 I think). Blacks are nice forks. I liked the older Black Elite with the TPC+ when they were still made. Blacks are plenty sturdy for trail riding. Even some mountain cross teams race on Blacks.

I don't have any long term experience with the Hayes HFX-9. They worked well and were noiseless on the demos and rides of the Hollowpoint. The Weyless had the Juicies.

If you don't like the Hayes, just sell them and get the Avid mechs. I've never had any noise issues with my Avids. Zero noises. You can manually adjust the pad spacing, eliminating any noises that may occur from rubbing. They take a while to break in, longer than hydro brakes, and at first they will fee weak. But once broken in, they are mighty strong and SILENT.

mtbr member
    I found this link for a Apogee review.

Check it:

http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=682

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Check this out

Quote Originally Posted by partially hydrogenated
    I found this link for a Apogee review.

Check it:

http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=682
    I hate to have to post this, but my bum knee won't allow me to ride again for a LONG time. Check out this link to get my new bike for $$$$ less than retail.

Hollowpoint all the way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear 'bout your knee man. I had to stay off my bike for 6 months and recently got back on. I know the feelin.

$1200 is deal of a starting price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks chapman but i'm about 6'4", so i think a 17incher is a bit small. I think i've elimated the XP and now it's pretty much between the HP and the Apogee LX, info on Apogees is a little hard to come by though. Do you know anything about the the rear shock and fork on the apogee (manitou QRL and marz MX comp)? the components between the two seem comparable, and i wouldnt mind saving the money by going with ibex unless there's a huge difference in suspension quality. Thanks again, ph.

mtbr member
    ...I've elimated the XP....
    Just curious as to why you eliminated the XP from you options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Partially because of what I've read, and partially because supergo just raised the prices on Weyless bikes again, and it just doesnt seem worth it now compared to the HP.

mtbr member
    Partially because of what I've read, and partially because supergo just raised the prices on Weyless bikes again, and it just doesnt seem worth it now compared to the HP.
    Yeah Supergo seems to be pretty fickle about the prices on the XP. They just need to settle on a price.

One more plus in favor of the HP vs XP is the generous standover clearance on the HP. The XP has a traditional straight top tube, so its standover is higher.

you said.. Member
    Raised? I was just at supergo and they had the Weyless XP for $1199 which is a smokin' deal. Those things ride well (2 friends have em), are well equiped and take some pretty serious abuse. If I didn't love my 575 so much I would pick one up.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crash
    Raised? I was just at supergo and they had the Weyless XP for $1199 which is a smokin' deal. Those things ride well (2 friends have em), are well equiped and take some pretty serious abuse. If I didn't love my 575 so much I would pick one up.
    XP Pro is now $1799 up from $1599

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crash

weyless xp: $1299 now. yea its still a smokin deal, but not as smokin as the HP, i dont think.