mtbr member

Warp DS1 '03 Jap model, what do u think?

I'm thinking about buying this bike, I live in Tokyo at the moment so selection in the 2nd hand market is severely limited. I have seen the reviews of the DS1 03 Warp, some people seem to think it's no good, and needs the front fork changed, but the japanese model has many different parts, I searched most up and they seem to be ok. But are they actually decent components, and what price should I be expecting to pay, I am hopefully going to go and see it this sunday.

He changed the following,

"replaced the shifter with shimano xt so i change the
    derraiuller, chain & cogset as well with shimano."

The guy who's selling it is asking 65,000yen, about $650 USD.

I got a stats sheet here, see photos
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you talking to me?

Parts missing?

THere is something going on with the rear der. Is that photo prior to the rear repair? Also, there is no front shifter. Is there a front der.? If not, what type of chain retention device is being used? How about a photo of the drivetrain side of the bike?
    gfy

Freshly Fujified

Be careful

I would be careful here. Expanding on Damian's concerns, I think the person has a single chainring on the crankset, as there is obviously no front derailleur on the bike. I can not, however, see the picture clear enough to see the issue with the rear derailleur that Damian mentions. I would inspect the bike with a fine tooth comb, and ask some specific questions regarding what type of riding the seller did on the bike.

Having owned a US version of the Warp, I can say that the frame is bretty much bomb-proof, which means the bike will be heavy. The specs on the Japan bike (at least what I can decipher) looks to be better than the US version with the exception of the Giant brand rear shock, which has it's limitations. In that it's not a platform stablizing shock, you get a good amount of pedal bob when hammering.

If you don't mind a heavy, single pivot bike ( biggest issue will be climbing) the Warp is a good option, IMO. As for the price, I wouldn't pay more than $500 US.

Just my thoughts.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Thx for the thoughts, I will send an email to the seller now asking about the gearing, and yes it really does look like he has a single ring in the front.

he says it has only been mildly used, I don't get lifetime warranty as i am buying 2nd hand, so i am concerned!

if u have any more q's i should ask him let me know!!

Simon

mtbr member
    Thx for the thoughts, I will send an email to the seller now asking about the gearing, and yes it really does look like he has a single ring in the front.

it looks like the jap warp was sold like that from giant!!!

Check the link!!

http://www.giant.co.jp/2003/recreationmtb.html

he says it has only been mildly used, I don't get lifetime warranty as i am buying 2nd hand, so i am concerned!

if u have any more q's i should ask him let me know!!

Simon

opps, sorry for the double post, and looking at the stats sheet i added in the original posting, it looks like u can see the single ring in the front. with the chain stay cogs, above and below, he mentioned taking them off, i know know what he meant, I hope he kept the parts!!

mtbr member
    Ok, the guy sent me more photos, I mentioned the issues you guys said, and he said he took the chain off as it is not being used at the moment, i guess to save on chain stress???

I have been looking and I can buy at mail order in tokyo, a 2005 or 2006 AC for the same money he is offering it for, so I told him i would be wanting to only pay 500 bucks not 750 buck for it. But then thinking about it, the AC is a much better bike, if he won't drop to my level then i will just go for the AC. What do u guys think of the specs on the Jap model AC?

http://www.agawacycle.co.jp/tuhan/mt...t/2006/ac.html

http://www.shimazaki-c.co.jp/giant2005/ac.html

sorry, yeah its in japanese, but the names of the parts are there, it seems to be using a lot of similar components to the Warp i was looking at, I can't find any info on the front fork on this site, which surprises me!!! (MANITOU SPLICE COMP 130mm)

anyway check these photos out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you talking to me?

Buy a new bike.

Forget that bike. There is no way to tell how hard it has been punished. Where is the front mech. or chain retention device.
    gfy

Freshly Fujified

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Forget that bike. There is no way to tell how hard it has been punished. Where is the front mech. or chain retention device.
    Buy the 2006 AC and enjoy it.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Buy the 2006 AC and enjoy it.

Bob

Yeah, I got an email from the seller saying he woun't go down to 50,000 yen, he is offereing 65,000 yen the brand spanking new AC 2006, in black (best colour ever) is only 73,000 yen online, it's got a pretty skank gear mech on it, but It's the frame I am really interested in, and I can upgrade when it craps out (probably a year i guess)

Thanks y'all it's wierd the jap models of the AC frame aren't of the 1 or 2 variety, there is just a single AC frame with ok parts on it, I guess to keep the price down, Japan riders seem to only want to go to teh shops on a fancy looking bike!!! They would even put a shopping basket on it!!! Well I saw a Kona for sale with a shopping basket on it!!!!

Freshly Fujified

My thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon
    Yeah, I got an email from the seller saying he woun't go down to 50,000 yen, he is offereing 65,000 yen the brand spanking new AC 2006, in black (best colour ever) is only 73,000 yen online, it's got a pretty skank gear mech on it, but It's the frame I am really interested in, and I can upgrade when it craps out (probably a year i guess)
    The frame and fork seem decent. Apparently the AC uses the Giant proprietary rear shock, which is an OK shock. A nice upgrade here would be a Fox Vanilla R, which can be bought cheap on ebay. The Alivio drive train could be worse, but you'll get good milage out of it, and when it breaks or wears out, then you can look at better components. I think you're doing the right thing.

Let us know how you like it.

Bob

mtbr member
    UPDATE!!!

I'm actually going to look at the bike on saturday! wow!!! at last!, it's been like how long!!!, damned conflicting schedules!!!!! anyway, I just noticed (now, after all the frigging time??) that it has 24" wheels!!! I never knew they did them with 24" wheels, should I be happy?? is this good?? I have seem some bikes with a 24" rim on the back, and thought, hum, that looks a bit strange, but i guess it's good for serious riders.

But whats up with having 24's front and rear??? What is the benefits of this????