mtbr member
    May 2011

want to buy a low end bike to start out with

hey there, looking to buy a bike for light trail riding but also something that i can take my 18 month old out on, so it would need to be able to mount a childs seat on the back of it. i have been looking for almost a month now and havent really found anything in my price range that i like. i have seen a few really nice "dj" style frames but from what ive been told those dont allow a childs seat to be mounted. is that right? or if any1 knows differently.
    things im also looking for : hardtail bike with front shocks, disc brakes if possible (otherwise something thats not "cheap"), 17-19" frame, mountain bike not a hybrid, able to mount child seat on, also a reputable name brand. i did look at some places like sports check and what not but the bikes just seemed cheap to me. also one thing that i know is going to hurt my chances of getting a really nice bike is that my wife gave me a strict limit of 200$, i was able to talk her up to 250$ and i will most likely be able to spend up to 300$ if im "good" haha. ok well i hope some1 can help me out. im open to buying used but im not sure what to look for to make sure im not buying junk. thanks guys!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    looking at a kona hahanna for 200 on craigslist
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...364240235.html
    wonder if thats worth it? i know you can change parts and upgrade is this a good frame and good place to start?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The dirt cheapest new bike you'll find is still at least $350. At your budget, your best bet is keeping an eye on craigslist for a used Specialized Hardrock/Trek 820/etc. Ebay too, but count on $20-40 to ship the bike.

And as always, stay away from those $80 bikes from Wal-mart, Costco, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by footballdave41
    looking at a kona hahanna for 200 on craigslist
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...364240235.html
    wonder if thats worth it? i know you can change parts and upgrade is this a good frame and good place to start?
    Sure. Test ride it first, but if it stops and goes, and is comfortable then go for it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    yea i figured since i went to some bike shops and they were still above 300 for some, just saw this on pinkbikes
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/839760/
    its an '07 specialized hard rock. looks pretty good guy wants 270 for it he put juicy 3 hydraulic breaks on it, not sure what those are but the bike looks really good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    yea i figured since i went to some bike shops and they were still above 300 for some, just saw this on pinkbikes
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/839760/
    its an '07 specialized hard rock. looks pretty good guy wants 270 for it he put juicy 3 hydraulic breaks on it, not sure what those are but the bike looks really good.
    He doesn't mention size in there, but it looks like a small. Make sure you get the right sized bike, otherwise it's going to handle funny and be uncomfortable on long rides.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    yea i just tried to get a hold of him, probably at work, i was going to ask him size and condition of like brakes and tires if they are true. what else should i look for when buying used? so i dont waste my time going somewhere to look at a bike haha

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    yea i just tried to get a hold of him, probably at work, i was going to ask him size and condition of like brakes and tires if they are true. what else should i look for when buying used? so i dont waste my time going somewhere to look at a bike haha
    A bike can be shiny and still run like crap, the only way you won't for sure be ripped off is if you go ride the thing. Make sure the brakes work, the shifting works, the wheels are true, and that it fits.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    k cool. im not super worried about it being "nice looking" just what questions to ask so the seller knows i know at least a little bit so they dont rip me off

mtbr member
    May 2011
    oh i have a question about shifters, the grip shifters usualy look cheap to me. i like those quick shifters not sure what they are called. how are the grip shifters and should that be a deal breaker if i see a bike i like? and brands im seeing a lot of shimano shifters? haha sorry just totally new to this world and really wanna get a good deal and get into biking!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looking at a Gary fisher with kona parts on it. Is Gary fisher a good name brand?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Grip shifters and trigger shifters are equivalent in "quality" at the same price levels. It is 100% personal preference. I love grip shifters for sram and prefer shimano trigger shifters over the sram trigger offerings.
    You might find that a "real" mountain bike is not going to be particularly comfortable or stable with a rear mounted child seat. Performance bikes trend to put you in a more forward position. Your needs do sound better served by a commuter or comfort offering.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    oh okay cool, yea i just dont like the feel of the grip shifters, i had a bike when i was younger with them and they just seemed very cheap. think i would prefer the trigger type. also i dont like the look of the hybrids with those small wheels. so i think i do want a mountain bike, i saw a bunch on craigslist and stuff. went to look at one last night and wasnt really impressed. the back wheel was warped and the crank seemed a little bent, also the rear brake was basically worn to nothing. was a gary fisher with upgraded front forks but didnt seem in the best condition. what brand of front forks/shocks is a good one to look for? and i know that the performance style frames dont look like they would support a kids seat on the back anyways. i definitely want a lower end entry bike. wish i had a bigger budget ive seen a lot at bike shops that i wouldnt mind getting but they are in the 400$ price range b4 taxes. if some1 could post the different type of frames or something and give me a better idea of the applications of them and what would be best, i would really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    most hybrids come with either 26"(same size as traditional mtbs') or 700c(road bike size, which are larger diameter) wheels. not exactly "small" by any definition.

really, not trying to steer you wrong here. your needs would be much better met by a commuter bike. it would have all the provisions to properly and SAFELY mount a child seat in the rear. modern mtb's don't come with pannier rack mounts anymore for the most part.. even lower end "entry" level ones.
    they don't look "cool" to some, but they're the proper tool for the job. those of use that have been around a longish time understand the needs for different types of bikes, everyone else isn't worth trying to impress.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ah i see, what i meant by small wheels though was not the diameter of them, but the width of the tread. anyways yea that does make sense its not really that i want to impress any1 hah, just want something i find appealing. what types of commuters should i look for then? do they have the front suspension? ill take a look around though, at least i have more options i guess. thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    there are many styles and options for commuter type bikes. You can get rigid, front suspension, fixed gear, single speed, moutain bike style, road bike style..the options are endless (so is how much you can spend).
    The thing about slimmer tires is that they make for less effort when pedaling on the smooth terrain you say you'll be riding.