mtbr member

Walmart Build - Roadmaster Granite Peak

So my nephew has this Walmart special MTB. It's called "Granite Peak" and the brand name is Roadmaster. He is so attached to this bike that he just wants to replace the broken fork and not get a brand new Diamondback Response MTB. He says that he'd rather just keep the Roadmaster Granite Peak and upgrade all the parts as they fail. I've already promised him that I will pay for all upgrades and any replacement parts. I am now wondering if I haven't made the dumbest promise in history.

I'm thinking about just buying the Diamondback Reponse anyway.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by MoabiSlim; 04-10-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    God gave birds, wings to fly .... He gave us, Jamis!

--Raleigh--
    Well if he just uses it as a commuter bike then I would guess it would be ok but if he actually takes it on trails then yea... prepare for everything to break and need replacing
    2011 Raleigh Talus 29 sport Commuter Mode
    2001 K2 Zed V Mountain Duty
    1994 GT Outpost Steel, Rigid Awesomeness

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iMongoose View Post
    Well if he just uses it as a commuter bike then I would guess it would be ok but if he actually takes it on trails then yea... prepare for everything to break and need replacing
    The thing is, this kid rides the heck out of this bike. He does urban assault riding. He goes down steep hills in the park. Last summer, I even saw him jumping over a garbage can in my backyard. I'm surprised the bike has lasted him an entire year, before the fork failed. Of course, last weekend (during Spring Break), the garbage can stunt cashed the fork in upon his very first trial!

Since I've made him this promise, I now can just imagine springing for new wheels, derailleurs, chains, crankset, handlebars, tires, etc...By the time I'm done, I could have bought this kid an Ibis Mojo HD or something.

I dunno, I really think I've screwed up with this promise...
    Last edited by MoabiSlim; 04-10-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Just buy a new bike and give him the parts from it as his break. Eventually he will be riding the bike you bought.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Great suggestion kapusta; just go to bikes direct and order a $300 - $500 bike, which will come partially assembled anyway, and replace all the parts as necessary. Otherwise, you'll spend a ton of money. Plus, this way you and he can learn the mechanics of his bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Just buy a new bike and give him the parts from it as his break. Eventually he will be riding the bike you bought.
    I think you might have a good point there, Kapusta!

Quote Originally Posted by fos'l View Post
    Great suggestion kapusta; just go to bikes direct and order a $300 - $500 bike, which will come partially assembled anyway, and replace all the parts as necessary. Otherwise, you'll spend a ton of money. Plus, this way you and he can learn the mechanics of his bike.
    Alright! I'm gonna order the Dawes Haymaker 1500 from BD, Fos'l. Hopefully, he'll just like the bike and we can keep it simple.

Hey thanks guys!

Especially you, Kapusta!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Don't dump the Walmart frame; sometimes they are extras from a reputable company and could be a good spare in case anything happens to the Dawes.

mtbr member
    Then problem with the granite peak is that it has a 1" threaded headset. Finding a good reliable fork for it will be Almost next to impossible. Almost all good forks are 1 1/8" threadless.

I have been riding my granite peak on the trails (intermediate to advance) for 2 years. I just changed the cables and the v brakes. I have around 800 miles on it. It is a sturdy bike. But sadly very hard to upgrade.

I got myself a specialized hardrock disc in CL. Which I will ride to death! Until maybe I am ready for my next bike or just upgrade this HR.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If a Roadmaster is all he needs then you can just buy him another for $99. That fork looks unsafe, and, obviously, it is if his has failed. The last time I looked at a Roadmaster MTB it had plastic brake levers which is scary in of itself.
    The Response and Dawes are still using forks that are really not suitable for offroad riding. I am guessing he is small/light enough right now that it doesn't matter that much but as he gets heavier it might be a safety concern considering how hard he is on the bike. I have no real advice to give just wanted to bring these factors up.
    Killing it with close inspection.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Buy him the new bike. Then tell him you got all the parts for him to replace. You just did it at once. Once he rides the new bike the other one is history. Good luck
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.