mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Wacky front cable stop for GT Groove Tube circa 1996

Hey all -

I'm helping to rebuild a GT All Terra that's either a 1995, 1996 or possibly 1997 model year that uses the Groove Tube top tube. (The original model name decal is mostly scratched off but I think I can make out a "Ka" so it was probably a Karakoram from that year.) This design routes ALL 3 rear cables through the Groove Tube.

Strangely, unlike other Groove Tube model frames I've seen, this one doesn't have the integral triple cable stop at the front of the groove near the head tube; instead, there's a recessed stop for only ONE cable housing as well as two little grooves that look like perhaps the cables were intended to lay over it. Check out these pix of the bottom side of the top tube:

Apparently, there was some other widget that slipped into that single cable stop to terminate all three cable housings, but it's lost to the ages now. I'm certain that there was no bracket clamped on the top tube to receive the cables and I'd hate to have to add one, though that's certainly a Plan B.

Does anyone know anything about the design of this front triple cable stop or what model years it appeared on? Thanks in advance for any help.

-Steve

Former Bike Wrench
    The Karakoram model ran derailleur cables down the down tube, only the rear brake ran on the underside of the top tube...hence only one cable stop

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    The Karakoram model ran derailleur cables down the down tube, only the rear brake ran on the underside of the top tube...hence only one cable stop
    Apparently that's true for some, it appears to have varied by model year. Here's an example of another Karakoram - model year unknown - showing the cable routing I'm faced with:

Note no braze-on on the downtube, rear derailleur cable runs straight down to the braze-on on the seatstay and top-pull front derailleur is cabled from the noodle (small ring, actually) on the left side of the seat tube.

All 3 cable housings are fed up front into the Groove Tube - I'm starting to hate that name - except in my case there's no fitting (anymore) to accomodate more than a single cable.

-Steve

Former Bike Wrench
    Interesting indeed...I worked on and sold Karakorams in 1995-1996 but remembered them all being down tube routed. The picture posted appears to be a 1994 model...maybe it was such a PITA that in 1995 they went back to the down tube (early 90's are down tube as well)

Looking at your picture closely, it almost looks like there is a spot to the right of the brake cable stop that a stop used to be but either broke off or was removed and repainted.